over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BP Meds possibly linked to kidney damage

Bodyofwork365

Registered
Newbies
Saw this article and I’m sure many of us are on BP meds so I thought I’d share it. Studies are linking kidney damage to long term usage of BP meds. I’ve never been a fan of BP meds and have always tried to control BP more naturally but sometimes the various medications are the only options for some. Just good for thought and maybe a good idea to consistently monitor kidney values while not just using AS but also BP Meds.

I’ve been on olmesartan + amlodepine for a year now and saw my creatinine rise (and thus GFR decline). Those markers were always perfect pre medicating. It isn’t dramatic yet but no one likes to see markers deteriorate.

Guys try Irbesartan instead of telmisartan, it is kidney protective

I'd say high BP is probably worse than using meds but this is why I always feel like guys shouldn't jump on bp meds so liberally. If someone competes and is 240 lean and has high BP that's one thing. But how many are walking around carrying too much water and fat chasing the scale not knowing what single digits look like then need bp meds?

These are the ones that I think should reevaluate their goals, especially as they reach their late 30s.

Guys try Irbesartan instead of telmisartan, it is kidney protective
Telmisartan is kidney protective also

I’ve been on olmesartan + amlodepine for a year now and saw my creatinine rise (and thus GFR decline). Those markers were always perfect pre medicating. It isn’t dramatic yet but no one likes to see markers deteriorate.
With Telmi, i saw eGFR up and creatinine down.

Telmisartan is kidney protective also

This is the reason I choose to take Telmisartan, has kidney protective properties.

Saw this article and I’m sure many of us are on BP meds so I thought I’d share it. Studies are linking kidney damage to long term usage of BP meds.

Sounds like a blanket statement to me when there is multiple categories of BP meds that work differently from each other to control BP.

Interesting that this subject just popped up because I was just hospitalized about a week ago for acute kidney failure. The docs blamed it on some of the meds I've been taking for years, including valsartan, atorvastatin, HCTZ, and baclofen (for back pain). They made me drop those and added in amlodipine, B1, COQ10 and folic acid. So now my kidney functions are normal, although they were about to put me on dialysis. Make sure you have kidney work-ups if you are taking any of these older drugs. It was quite a scary situation.

@Type-IIx what do you think? Also thought telmisartan is kidney protective...
Like so many medications, telmisartan and ARBs present a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they are kidney protective in hypertension (high blood pressure) and certain forms of kidney disease (i.e., diabetic nephropathy).

On the other hand, they likely promote kidney dysfunction in healthy person and those with decreased cardiac function (e.g., heart failure).

See this post: https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...ohn-jewitt-on-telmisartan.170571/post-3064672
Sure if your blood pressure is high, telmisartan makes sense. It has some ancillary benefits. Just know that It also may cause:
1a. potassium dysregulation, e.g. hyperkalemia (increased potassium retention despite its direct action), and 1b. electrolyte imbalance
2. ALT/AST elevation that can complicate oral androgen use
3. severe hypotension for those with salt/electrolyte depletion or prolonged diuretic use
4a. kidney/renal (GFR, eGFR) dysfunction (yes, even though it's used as a therapeutic for diabetic nephropathy - kidney function should be monitored with use of this drug), and with those that have decreased cardiac function (e.g., heart failure) can cause 4b. acute kidney failure

Some drug-drug interactions:
Unfavorable: decreased tamoxifen metabolism; diuretics (this should be obvious)
Unclear: decreased raloxifene excretion resulting in a higher serum level
Favorable (I'd add to the list of benefits): decreased excretion rate of testosterone resulting in a higher serum level

I am skeptical of its being promoted as a cure-all and preventive/prophylactic for AAS users generally.

Like so many medications, telmisartan and ARBs present a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they are kidney protective in hypertension (high blood pressure) and certain forms of kidney disease (i.e., diabetic nephropathy).

On the other hand, they likely promote kidney dysfunction in healthy person and those with decreased cardiac function (e.g., heart failure).

See this post: https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...ohn-jewitt-on-telmisartan.170571/post-3064672

I am skeptical of its being promoted as a cure-all and preventive/prophylactic for AAS users generally.
I would also note that as part of my kidney failure was excessive potassium and a deficient of magnesium (electroyte imbalance),

I would also note that as part of my kidney failure was excessive potassium and a deficient of magnesium (electroyte imbalance),
You should tag some of those guys from the Jewitt thread that need to see this. Valsartan is the ARB, analogous to Telmisartan.

Interesting that this subject just popped up because I was just hospitalized about a week ago for acute kidney failure. The docs blamed it on some of the meds I've been taking for years, including valsartan, atorvastatin, HCTZ, and baclofen (for back pain). They made me drop those and added in amlodipine, B1, COQ10 and folic acid. So now my kidney functions are normal, although they were about to put me on dialysis. Make sure you have kidney work-ups if you are taking any of these older drugs. It was quite a scary situation.
Glad your better. Not surprised you had kidney issues on that many meds In addition to aas. Was it one doc who had you on all these? Did they ever have you take regular blood work doing that much stuff? I'd consider possibly talking to a lawyer.

I often wonder when we hear of aas users who have kidney issues and it gets blamed on aas, if we had data on who is taking prescription drugs in addition to aas is this the real culprit.

I think anyone should try and limit the amount of pharmaceuticals they take, but especially aas users and those who really push the scale and dosages.

Did this not show up on routine bloodwork? Why did you let it go unaddressed?

Glad your better. Not surprised you had kidney issues on that many meds In addition to aas. Was it one doc who had you on all these? Did they ever have you take regular blood work doing that much stuff? I'd consider possibly talking to a lawyer.

I often wonder when we hear of aas users who have kidney issues and it gets blamed on aas, if we had data on who is taking prescription drugs in addition to aas is this the real culprit.

I think anyone should try and limit the amount of pharmaceuticals they take, but especially aas users and those who really push the scale and dosages.

thats the issue with so many guys, even non-bodybuilders.
everything a doc prescribes has to be good to go according to their "minds".
I am taking high dosed nebivolol, torasemid, entresto, eplerenone and jardiance due to my heart condition.
I often talk to my mum or colleagues that i have headaches when the weather changes and guess what all tell me (although they know i already take a shitload of meds)
"pop 2 ibuprofen, then you are good to go again"
Hell no. I havent taken a single pain med since im on my heart medication since i know everything in addition puts more strain on my organs..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131