advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Circuit training high reps vs cardio for heart health?

iron lifter

Registered
Newbies
there are days i can't do cardio just weights. i am not looking to gain size or anything just maintain what i have. would doing non stop circuit training 12-15 reps machine to machine keeping hr in the 120-130 range for 30 mins be same benefit to heart as LISS?

i wouldnt look at weights like that... lifting weights intensely can have a big effect on metabolic rate. that will help keep you lean.
i suggest using cardio for cardio (exercise for the heart) and weights for stimulating muscle.
diet to stay lean.
those 3 things together u will be gtg.
i have been doing kinda circuit training style past year or so on and off and its just really not optimal imo

there are days i can't do cardio just weights. i am not looking to gain size or anything just maintain what i have. would doing non stop circuit training 12-15 reps machine to machine keeping hr in the 120-130 range for 30 mins be same benefit to heart as LISS?
No it wouldn't.

For someone interested in health. I would think circuit training with weights would be the way to go. It does not take a lot of cardio to have a heathy heart. Most heart disease seems to be caused from arteries going down hill and putting more of a load on the heart rather then the heart just being weak and not being able to function. From the studies i have seen people doing a lot of cardio especially intense cardio really have no benefits over moderate cardio. And some studies point actually being bad for you. According to the Mayo Clinic a heart rate of 50-70% for 30 minutes a day qualifies for moderate aerobic exercise. Which can be had from circuit training in my experience.

My opinion is this - do which ever you really really like

And check your BP on the circuit training - confirm what your hitting

LIFE !!! HAVE FUN !!

I train with little rest in between sets about 30 seconds and I feel it definitely improves cardio and work capacity I am not sure why someone would think otherwise. Stan efferding also recommends this for improving cardio but I guess you posters above are much more knowledgeable than him.

All your answers are here. It is not easy, it is not fun but you can have
your cake and eat it too.

http://arthurjonesexercise.com/Athletic/Total.PDF

Can significant strength gains be achieved from intense but relatively brief workouts? What effect does strength training have on an individual’s level of cardiovascular fitness? How often should an individual train to achieve maximum results? What application does high-intensity strength training have to functional performance?

In 1975 a group of medical experts converged on the United States Military Academy (USMA) to team up with the Academy’s Department of Physical Education. During a mission they dubbed Project Total Conditioning — “the most productive and inclusive field research endeavor ever undertaken in the area of strength training” — they aimed to provide answers to each of the aforementioned questions.

Also . . .

sustained elevated heart rate is the goal.
If you don’t have time for additional cardio then something something is better than nothing.
To my knowledge long duration zone 2 cardio is the best for cardiac benefits

i was doing one day weights one day cardio 30-40 mins each day. but now i am just doing weights 5 days a week in a circuit fashion, maybe ill go back to my old routine.

i was doing one day weights one day cardio 30-40 mins each day. but now i am just doing weights 5 days a week in a circuit fashion, maybe ill go back to my old routine.
I would definitely go back to that and separate them. When I'm lifting I want to focus on form, intensity, not trying to make it my cardio session too.

I do weights 5 days a week then 45 minutes cardio off days. Also 30 min cardio after legs. If I wanted another session I'd do it in the am on a weekend day (off work) then weights in the pm.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131