over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Coaches are a waste of money?

mountaindog1

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I hear people all the time saying that coaches are a waste of money. Well many of us who coach, and who do well, are pretty good BECAUSE of all the dumb stuff we have done and LEARNED from. Now if you want to repeat all the dumb stuff, go for it, but when you hit your 40's like me, you WILL think to yourself, man I wish I would have known to do "x" or "y" when I was younger.

Listen to your body and learn, but geemony don't think it's necessary to make a million mistakes as part of your development.

So what are 5 dumb things I did as an example right off the top of my head:

1) Thinking that the answer to "hugeness" was just powershoving calories with no regard for digestion or nutrient content. A calorie is a calorie = garbage thinking.

2) Training the exact same movements done the exact same way every week and only looking for weight increases with no regard for quality of muscle contraction. Keep it simple mantra (do the same thing over and over)... not good for joint health.

3) Falling for supplement scams. I take very few supplements now, but what I take works. When I was younger all it took was an ad with a "university study" that showed 543% increase in hypertrophy and man I was on it.

4) Copying the training routines and nutritional programs of the genetic elite. Well if Lee Haney did this for back, it must work for me right? Wrong. What he did worked for him, not me. Think outside of the box and learn from those who aren't genetic freaks that would have 30 inch legs from mowing the lawn. I consider myself to have average genetics and have had to fight for every ounce of muscle I have for 28 years. This didn't come from doing what everyone else was doing.

5) Training without a partner because it would slow me down. A great training partner will help you more than any technique or training program out there. A great training partner is worth his/her weight in gold.

#4 really hits home for me. Now I am almost 50 and been training for 35 years; my father trained with weights and passed the bug onto me. He gave me a Franco Columbu workout book for beginners, intermediate and advanced for a Christmas present when I was 15. Of course I jumped right into the advanced workout (6 days a week...2 hr WO's) on top of playing sports. My father would tell me just start with the 3 day a week workout but I had to do Franco and Arnolds program....how little did I know.

John, As a coach do you find that a lot of guys nowadays dont want to train or diet as hard and want to make up for that by taking more drugs? Obviously you do this to make money so how you deal with clients with that mindset.

I hired a guy to train my quads and push me beyond my mental block. I guess it's been 3 months maybe. Not long. But the results are amazing. Best thing I've paid for in a long time. I absolutely hate going to him cause I know what's comin. Pain and embarrassment. But it's so worth it.

Hiring a coach is a smart move. Personally, in hiring coaches for my last few competitive years I've discovered the following:
1.) A good coach will save you money. Typically coaches are looked to as an additional expense. However I've noticed in my last year or so under 2 separate coaches that they decreased my supplement intake drastically, which honestly gave me a net increase in disposable income monthly. People don't realize it but Supplements are every bit of as expensive if not more expensive than GH and Gear combined, when broken out to monthly expenses.
2.) My stress levels and anxiety went down significantly and I was almost instantly able to enjoy things like online BB videos, and forums like PM. Typically when I read an article that I find interesting that pertains to Bodybuilding or PED's I instantly try to figure out how to work it into my routine, which is stressful honestly. I'd go through this pattern of constantly convincing myself that I could afford more supplements/PED's after reading things and the truth was that I never could and the stress involved in whether or not to implement was rigorous.

All in all a good coach that keeps themselves informed on new trends in our world and is educated on what works is priceless. They will make your lives simpler and should make up for they're added cost quickly. I have had coaches in the past that instantly cost me significantly more money and refused to improvise for the sake of my budget, those aren't the kind of coaches I'm talking about. I go to every coach I hire with a monthly number and the first thing I say is "This is my max monthly budget for this hobby that is Bodybuilding, and your rate comes out of the number". Great coaches will laugh and say "No problem", and make it work! This forum has phenomenal coaches and members, I can't speak to whom mine is as anonymity is important to me but truth is I wouldn't compete without one. One of my favorite days is my weekly checkin day. It keeps me going and keeps me on track.

personally i feel hiring a coach atleast once or twice (a good one) just to learn from and see what can be done with your body is worth it

the other would feel good knowing if you stick to what your told, youll end up looking the way u want (provided its the right coach), nothing worse then dieting and training hard for 12 weeks and not coming up the way u intended

Mountain Dog Diet - John Meadows
I think any member here that pays attention will see how you train, who you train with, who you have been mentored by. Not many if any better choices out
there imo.

JM,
We appreciate all your contributions
and having a true hard core guy like yourself here.

John, As a coach do you find that a lot of guys nowadays dont want to train or diet as hard and want to make up for that by taking more drugs? Obviously you do this to make money so how you deal with clients with that mindset.

Well not as much as you would think. I see it on forums obviously, but I don't tend to attract those kind of people (thankfully).

I do believe this is an issue obviously.

Let me make this as simple as possible..this is at the top of my list for pet peeves.

DRUGS CAMOUFLAGE POOR TRAINING AND NUTRITION.

Drugs work. People take drugs and get results off of bs training with bs nutrition and then claim "well this works!". Take the drugs away, and these people would be nowhere.

My thought is what if you had optimal training and nutrition to go with those drugs?

Not everyone responds to the exact type of training and nutrition but there is no doubt those at the elite levels often coast on genetics and drugs.

Hell in some cases I don't blame them. They are training so easy they probably are keeping all their tissues fresh for a long time provided they continue to respond to drugs well.

Mountain Dog Diet - John Meadows
I think any member here that pays attention will see how you train, who you train with, who you have been mentored by. Not many if any better choices out
there imo.

JM,
We appreciate all your contributions
and having a true hard core guy like yourself here.

Thanks Rajjin! Very kind of you.

I believe that surrounding yourself with awesome people is a great way to get better. I make it a point to seek out people far smarter and tougher than me to learn from.

I hired a guy to train my quads and push me beyond my mental block. I guess it's been 3 months maybe. Not long. But the results are amazing. Best thing I've paid for in a long time. I absolutely hate going to him cause I know what's comin. Pain and embarrassment. But it's so worth it.

You made me think of the days when I was in college and going to John Parillo's facility. I knew I had a very large ass whooping coming, EVERY time. It sucked. I couldn't stand the guy punishing the hell out of me, but I respected him 100% as he made me better, and to this day he is one of my best friends.

JM

I have never hired anyone don't have the money, but believed it the best thing someone can do.

Some people just kill there there self trying to get ripped and wind up hurting there selfs in the process cause they are not eating enough.

Where If they had a coach from the get go they would end up hitting there goals.

The information is available readily on the internet both in opinionated forums and in research for anyone to coach themselves. Most people think that just because they hire a coach to prep them that it has to be the correct way because they are paying them.

The information is available readily on the internet both in opinionated forums and in research for anyone to coach themselves. Most people think that just because they hire a coach to prep them that it has to be the correct way because they are paying them.

Not everyone can make good decisions when down to sub 5% bodyfat levels, when all this information you talk about is CONFLICTING, when they have never been to a certain level of condition and don't understand what it is "normal" to feel like, they may not have the time to sit around on the internet and read all day, they may not care about the process and just wants results..etc etc etc.

Not everyone needs a coach, but just saying everyone can do it on their own is silly.

Last edited:
Not everyone can make good decisions when down to sub 5% bodyfat levels, when all this information you talk about is CONFLICTING, when they have never been to a certain level of condition and don't understand what it is "normal" to feel like...etc etc etc.

Not everyone needs a coach, but just saying everyone can do it on their own is silly.

It is conflicting information because so many coaches (not all) rely on extremely restrictive diets and massive amounts of cardio along with "guiding" their clients on extreme drug use as their main approach to promoting fat loss.

If people would educate themselves on the physiology and techniques of fat loss without the use of PEDs, then they could most certainly do what coaches do and use their PEDs as another "tool" to aid themselves.

It is conflicting information because so many coaches (not all) rely on extremely restrictive diets and massive amounts of cardio along with "guiding" their clients on extreme drug use as their main approach to promoting fat loss.

If people would educate themselves on the physiology and techniques of fat loss without the use of PEDs, then they could most certainly do what coaches do and use their PEDs as another "tool" to aid themselves.

Saw another cool post from you..had a feeling you weren't the happiest guy in the world..and that you had something against me personally....

Newbie Registered Member Join Date: Mar 2012

You people shoot your bathtub gear and take plenty of drugs not prescribed to you but are scared to ingest some Splenda. Don't worry about the gear though, your Mountain Dog Diet will fix everything.

Saw another cool post from you..had a feeling you weren't the happiest guy in the world..and that you had something against me personally....

Newbie Registered Member Join Date: Mar 2012

You people shoot your bathtub gear and take plenty of drugs not prescribed to you but are scared to ingest some Splenda. Don't worry about the gear though, your Mountain Dog Diet will fix everything.

That is in reference to the opposite extremes of some of the board members here.

How many of you who DONT compete have hired a Coach to help out along the way?

I hired shelby for a while. Gone alone now for financial reasons. Although I do my macros differently now I've gone alone to get more carbs in my life i nlearned how to properly structure a diet, when to make changes etc and apply principles I learnt from shelby. Thanks to the lessons that will stay with me life I finally feel I have complete control over my body comp. Money well spent imo

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner