over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

deadlift, squat layout within routine

mung

FOUNDING Member / Board Supporter
Registered
Board Supporter
There are some really strong members here and I am curious how you lay out your deadlift and squat days relative to each other. I am just getting back into the gym and am already experiencing the effects of overtraining from the pulling and squatting.

I would really like to see how you guys work these in...how often do you do each lift. How many days between the two different lifts and also how many days between the same lift. The stronger you get the more days off you need and so forth. My second dead day and I only pulled 495x2 with relative ease, so I have a long ways to go, but I could not squat the following leg day which was five days later. Do you alternate weeks for each lift or just extend out the training days?

I'll stop rambling. Any insight would be greatly appricated!

Also, I am currently doing a BB type routine, but will be changing this around as soon as I get some strength back.

One possible way to split it.

A good freind of mine who has been competing in drug free powerlifting and training a good size group who have competed in the adfpa worlds the last few years has had a lot of success doing both on the same day. He recommended it to me since I started training strongman events in order to minimize overlap. The way he does it is like a lazy superset using one to warm up the other (I have been doing it for a few weeks now and my back feels like a million bucks). He will do a warm up set of squats followed by a warm up set in the deadlift. He rests 2-3 minutes between each so there is no fatigue build up. Here is an example I watched him do a few weeks ago (he is about 210 right now-he competes in the 220's). All sets were done raw (no belt,straps,suit etc..) he is currently coming back from an acl repair so these are not quite his best lifts.

SQ barx10
SQ 135X5
DL 135X1
SQ 225X3
DL 225X1
SQ 315X3
DL 315X1
SQ 405X3
DL 405X1
SQ 495X1
DL 495X1
SQ 545X3
DL 605X1

Thank you sammy,

Give me an idea how you would incorporate this into leg/back training. Or even how your routine looks. I ask this as I currently do a separate back and leg day and would you do this on leg day, with no other leg work? Or do this first and then finish off with some leg leg work?

Thank you!

mung said:
Thank you sammy,

Give me an idea how you would incorporate this into leg/back training. Or even how your routine looks. I ask this as I currently do a separate back and leg day and would you do this on leg day, with no other leg work? Or do this first and then finish off with some leg leg work?

Thank you!

Well, I'm still ironing out the details as I've just started strongman type training but here is how it looks so far:

Monday A
Front Squat
Wide Stance Deadlift (using all 25's for a longer pull-to simulate rock lift)
Log Clean and Press
Atlas stones(week one as outlined by squatter in stone post)

Monday B
Squat
Thick bar deadlift
Axle Clean and Press
Atlas stones(week two from squatter)

Monday C
Zercher Squat
18" Deadlift
Dumbell Clean and Press
Atlas stones (week three-then on next mon do week 4 etc..)

Thursday A
Farmers Walk
Crucifix Hold (with palms up)
Conditioning work (Bodyweight pushups,pullups,squats, situps mixed with sprints)

Thursday B
Super Yoke
Crucifix Hold (with palms forward)
Conditioning work (Bodyweight pushups,pullups,squats situps mixed with sprints)

Thursday C
Rock Carry
Crucifix Hold (palms down)
Conditioning work (Bodyweight pushups,pullups,squats situps mixed with sprints)

I know there is no direct chest, bicep, tricep or calf work but I am new to the events and they take a huge toll on my body. My goal at this point is to do just enough of the lifting basics to get stronger without overtraining myself while learning/improving the events themselves. For example: The first time I lifted the stones my biceps and pecs were sore for over 10 days. The heavy walking stuff kills my calves and I have torn my achilles in the past (requiring surgery) so I am very cautious about repeating. As my body adapts and I get a better feel for what I can and can't get away with I will add and/or subtract exercises based on what I feel I need to improve. Also, there are implements I don't yet have acess to such as Conan wheel and Viking press. I am only training 2 days per week because I am clean at this point in my life so I have trouble recovering from too many days per week. Again, as I get used to it I will add more days and possibly split things up a bit more IF I think I can handle it without burning out.
I hope this helps,
SD

hey bro, i have tried a few different ways to set them up cause the DL take alot out of my squat even 5 days later like u. also squatting heavy every week really takes a toll also, probably why i got hurt. so when i can start squatting again i am going to set it up like this:
mon-heavy bench/chest,tris
tues-DL (warmup to 1 work set of 3-6 reps)
cable rows 3x10-12
pulldowns 3x10-12
hammercurls 4x10
hyperext. 3x12
abs

weds-rest

thurs-speed bench, shoulders, tris

fri-box squats (9x2 with bands) or when i feel good, maybe 0nce a month, full squats for 1 heavy set of 5.
good mornings 2x10
leg press or hack squats 2x10
leg curls 3x10
leg ext. 3x10
*superset hyperext. and ab work for 3 sets.

sat- bis, about 9 sets
and calves.

if this doesnt work for me, i am gonna try something similar to westside, but with more hypertrophy work.
on tues i may do a a rgular mback workout with heavy bent rows and that stuff. then on fri, ill do box squats followed by DL for 10 sets of singles or 1 all out set to faiure. followed by the rest of the leg workout above.

just some suggestions.

more time

mung said:
There are some really strong members here and I am curious how you lay out your deadlift and squat days relative to each other. I am just getting back into the gym and am already experiencing the effects of overtraining from the pulling and squatting.
Mung since your just getting back you have to give your body a chance to adapt to the heavy weight. sometimes we all get anxious to get big, but when your just starting out the body has to go through a lot of changes to put you in that anabolic state, setting you up for major growth. so be patient

legs and back are the 2 biggest body parts to train so when starting out you should definitely separate the 2 until your body adjusts and you get some growth under your belt. so just continue to keep the intensity up and eat! eat! eat! if your eating enough and still feel overtrained then take the steps(more sleep/ days off) needed. bottom line, know when to listen to the body it will tell you what is needed

i just sq then dl thats all lol
nuthin special
frk

Thanks for the reply guys! Never overlook the obvious, I'll just try deads and squats every couple until my body adjusts with alternating sequence.

Thanks again!

squat vs. deads

IMO ;) , it depends on your goals with the squat along with the deads. In your case, Mung, the "weaker"(I use that term loosely) of the two bodyparts(legs/back) on you is your back. You have super width but lack overall thickness whereas your legs as a whole are more developed. I am the opposite with my legs needing the work much more than my back. Therefor in my training the legs get the priority. Although I will alternate between higher weights and heigher reps I will always do squats on leg day. I would suggest the opposite for you. Keep the squats to every other workout but always incorporate the tissue recruiting back exercises even if you have to alternate between weight and reps. I will have to say that every body is different and this may not work for anyone but me. Just a suggestion from a young padawon who is hoping to one day become a jedi knight like yourself.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws