over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Decline Bench

i love the decline BB press..... ill start 1 chest workout with them as 1st exercise... next ill start w incline...

Was this done with BB or DB's?

If memory serves me it was DB's, which are more difficult to use with decline for obvious reasons. I've got hooks that attach to dumbells and then hook on the bar. Great in a power rack where you can put the bar at different heights. The BB decline was only a few points behind the DB's. But my memory could be wrong.

Yeah, I found it.
Decline dumbbell bench press - 93%
Incline dumbbell press - 91%
Decline bench press - 89%
Flat dumbbell bench press - 87%
Flat barbell bench press - 85%

Last edited:
If memory serves me it was DB's, which are more difficult to use with decline for obvious reasons. I've got hooks that attach to dumbells and then hook on the bar. Great in a power rack where you can put the bar at different heights. The BB decline was only a few points behind the DB's. But my memory could be wrong.

Yeah, I found it.

Pretty small differences actually. Good to know they all work though.

I have a hard time with decline presses. When I start getting up there in weight they put a lot of pressure and pain on my left collarbone

Hi guys,

About 5 weeks ago I substituted Flat Bench for Decline Bench after reading about it on this forum. The transition has been a revolution for me, I LOVE decline benches. There is already a noticeable difference in pec mass (and triceps).

I sometimes had right shoulder issues flat benching, but I'm starting to get them in my left and NOT right shoulder doing declines. On the negative, a sharp pain plagues my left shoulder, it's greatly inhibiting the amount of weight that I can use.

It doesn't effect my overhead pressing or dips, though. Nor does it effect any other movement, even flat benches.

Does anyone else experience this? Any noteworthy warmups or exercises to make this problem disappear?

I'd HATE to have to give up declines.

Thanks

If it hurts dont do it. An injury isnt worth it. I cant do decline barbell heavy because Ive torn my elbows up on them going heavy and high reps with great intensity, more than once, on different decline benches, at different gyms.

Decline dumbbells and decline smith's , on a slightly angel, work well for myself. That's the thing because we are all built different, different arm lengths, different mechanics, and ranges of motion, tendon attachments, etc, you've got to find what exercises work for yourself.

If you love the movement you can do nothing that causes pain. The second it causes even the slightest pain, drop it like a hot rock that just got out of an oven

Last edited:

Yeah, I found it.

Thank you for this^

Imo its more so how you set yourself up to press and how you track your elbows to greater pec activation over which angle....

don’t give up your declines presses

It is my understanding the pectoralis major has four functions and
the pectoralis minor has two functions. With that in mind, it is my
opinion and my experience that decline presses and dips are by
far the most productive and the safest exercises one can perform
for developing the muscles of the chest.

Furthermore, I think the bench press is highly overrated and is
responsible for more (most?) injuries and is more dangerous
than it is worth.

And over-developing the ‘pecs’ is a huge mistake, one that will
come back to haunt you as you get older, as your skin loses it’s
elasticity and your chest will sag. It is unavoidable as you age.
Just look at older bodybuilders or older men for that matter.
It does not look good. So think ahead.

Same for your waist, which is another reason to always carry
some semblance of a six-pack and never let yourself get fat.
And (all?) land based mammals get a thicker midsection as a
function of age. It’s just a normal part of being a mammal.
Thank you mother nature ;)

Have to say that I'm a fan of incline barbell, its been my main exercise for some time and my chest is a strong point of mine.

Not saying decline is poor, but more than one way to go about things. Haven't done flat or decline press for ages.

don’t give up your declines presses

It is my understanding the pectoralis major has four functions and
the pectoralis minor has two functions. With that in mind, it is my
opinion and my experience that decline presses and dips are by
far the most productive and the safest exercises one can perform
for developing the muscles of the chest.

Furthermore, I think the bench press is highly overrated and is
responsible for more (most?) injuries and is more dangerous
than it is worth.

And over-developing the ‘pecs’ is a huge mistake, one that will
come back to haunt you as you get older, as your skin loses it’s
elasticity and your chest will sag. It is unavoidable as you age.
Just look at older bodybuilders or older men for that matter.
It does not look good. So think ahead.

Same for your waist, which is another reason to always carry
some semblance of a six-pack and never let yourself get fat.
And (all?) land based mammals get a thicker midsection as a
function of age. It’s just a normal part of being a mammal.
Thank you mother nature ;)

I'm not even that old and I can already see a bit of a sag when I flex my abs. Anything that can be done?

How do you set up?

Elbows out as opposed to tucked Im guessing

Kinda in between.... more so tucked i guess... i want bar to come lower on my chest and stretch... i think when elbows out is why most people get huge front delts and not chests...on inclines i like to really exaggerate sticking chest out

Last edited:
Do you or can you, do broom stick up and overs?

I use a band instead and do 8-10 reps in between sets for the first several
sets to warm up my shoulder girdle.

-MT

I've been doing these as per Mini Truck's instructions, with a band (red).

Not only does it feel glorious on the shoulders, but the pump that I get in my lateral delt head is immense.

Today during my first working set of declines I literally felt as though my RC was going snap. Not good.

After this set, I switched the regular Olympic straight bar to a football bar. There was zero shoulder pain. Funny how a slight grip change can eliminate so much discomfort.

Does anyone know if football bar declines are as effective in terms of achieving what straight bar declines achieve? Kind of felt it more in my triceps, and I was a few reps weaker despite being pain free.

Decline barbell press
Decline dumbbell press
Floor barbell press
Floor dumbbell press
Dumbbell Hex press
low Incline Dumbbell press
low Incline Barbell press

My main ''meat and potato'' chest moves in the above order.

love decline press. best move. hits all parts of the chest.

Sometimes me and my training partner decline press and floor press for an hour or so straight and call it a day.

Last edited:
What about this

"Research from Australia comparing bench presses to decline bench presses found that trained subjects were more than 15% stronger on decline bench presses than bench presses. This allows you to place more overload on the pecs.

The Australian researchers also found that the muscle activity of the sternocostal pecs was actually 25% less on decline bench presses than on bench presses. The muscle activity of the lats was almost 100% greater on decline bench presses than on bench presses. This means that decline bench presses may place a little less focus on the lower pecs and more focus on the lats than bench presses.

VERDICT: BENCH PRESS

The bench press places more focus on the sternocostal head of the pecs (the middle and lower pecs) than decline bench presses. However, decline bench presses allow you to use slightly more weight than bench presses, which can help to place more overload on the pecs.

SENTENCING

The bench press should be the major exercise you use to build up the lower pecs. However, occasionally doing decline bench presses will allow you to go heavier, so you can place more overload on the lower pecs, which can also lead to greater muscle growth."

What about this

"Research from Australia comparing bench presses to decline bench presses found that trained subjects were more than 15% stronger on decline bench presses than bench presses. This allows you to place more overload on the pecs.

The Australian researchers also found that the muscle activity of the sternocostal pecs was actually 25% less on decline bench presses than on bench presses. The muscle activity of the lats was almost 100% greater on decline bench presses than on bench presses. This means that decline bench presses may place a little less focus on the lower pecs and more focus on the lats than bench presses.

VERDICT: BENCH PRESS

The bench press places more focus on the sternocostal head of the pecs (the middle and lower pecs) than decline bench presses. However, decline bench presses allow you to use slightly more weight than bench presses, which can help to place more overload on the pecs.

SENTENCING

The bench press should be the major exercise you use to build up the lower pecs. However, occasionally doing decline bench presses will allow you to go heavier, so you can place more overload on the lower pecs, which can also lead to greater muscle growth."

It's like most things we overcomplicate stuff. I have read studies showing all different things in regards to chest training. Fact is all movements will/can work so just pick whatever feels best for you. The most important thing is researching perfect execution. Then experiment and see what you prefer. Then try to get as strong as possible in that movement. It should go without stating rotation is great so it's not like we should just do 1-2 movements. Some guys on here act like if you don't do declines you aren't training your chest properly. Everyone is different and everything can work. I train with all angles and rotate things but just because one study stated declines are 2% better it doesn't stop me incline pressing.

Every chest session I press using 2 angles (barbell, db, machine etc) and I add in a fly and/or dip movement and that's me covered. If I am doing a push day I do the same but keep it to 3 chest movements and one angle is incline which I do just before/after (depending what order I train) shoulder training.

It's like most things we overcomplicate stuff. I have read studies showing all different things in regards to chest training. Fact is all movements will/can work so just pick whatever feels best for you. The most important thing is researching perfect execution. Then experiment and see what you prefer. Then try to get as strong as possible in that movement. It should go without stating rotation is great so it's not like we should just do 1-2 movements. Some guys on here act like if you don't do declines you aren't training your chest properly. Everyone is different and everything can work. I train with all angles and rotate things but just because one study stated declines are 2% better it doesn't stop me incline pressing.

Every chest session I press using 2 angles (barbell, db, machine etc) and I add in a fly and/or dip movement and that's me covered. If I am doing a push day I do the same but keep it to 3 chest movements and one angle is incline which I do just before/after (depending what order I train) shoulder training.

nice post, the do what feels best to you is huge, I have never likes 45 degree angle inclines, but at about 20 they feel good, also I do like the declines, hell they are the only thing I could do at 1 time due to a shoulder injury, but to feel a good contraction with declines I would follow a natural plane down and press to the rack and then bring the bar back to starting point, doing in that fashion would cause me to be a little weaker vs lowering bar straight down and straight up.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131