over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

decline bench

a muscle fires All or NONE!

yep, true, but thats not the poin i am trying to discuss.

peoples first thought is that iclin works upper chest most, flat works middle most, and decline works bottom chest most....but this test say otherwise (exception incline)

thats what i was wanting to discuss

This always gets brought up for discussion and for good reason------I guess!

The pectoralis major is ONE MUSCLE!! The pectoralis minor is located beneath he pec major.

I,Myself,believe that the reason Incline is beleived to hit the upper pecs is because you're incorporating the pec-delt tie ins not to mention you are involving the shoulders to a much greater degree.

Flat and decline get further away from these upper muscles, hence not nearly as much workload is placed on the shoulders and pec-delt tie-ins.

I,Myself,truly believe that decline is a superior movement for the sole development of the chest (pectorals).

I like to keep my elbows in and keep the bar around nipple level.. Elbows out puts too much stress on my front delts.. But i also have very narrow pecs.. I also do not bring the bar to my chest.. I leave several inches.. I use a slow and controlled motion and go very heavy for 6-8 reps..

Any of you guys like the Hammer Strength Decline Bench machine?

I own one. And over time I've found it very effective in working heavy with less experienced clients. But after reading this thread, I'm thinking I should be taking more advantage of it myself. I've tended to prefer using decline with a lessor angle on an adjustable bench under a Smith Rack with more seasoned clients. But I'm not sure that is has been any more effective.

I like to use the Hammer Decline as a finishing move. The only problem with the machine is that, I find if I don't strap in, I ride up in the seat, which takes some of the stress off my chest and moves it to the front delts.

hammer decline

I like to use the Hammer Decline as a finishing move. The only problem with the machine is that, I find if I don't strap in, I ride up in the seat, which takes some of the stress off my chest and moves it to the front delts.

I like the hammer decline too and I have found that if I pull the back of my shirt up enough to expose a little skin on my lower back to the pad it prevents me from sliding up so no need to strap in.

after a great decline set my whole chest can ack sometimes not just the lower part

I truly believe that it depends on your "structure". i have very narrow and "high" pecs. if i do flat bench or incline, even if i roll my shoulders back and squeeze my shoulder blades together, i still work around 60% shoulders, 30% triceps and maybe 10% chest. on decline, i feel it's 70% or more chest work. other people i know (especially those who are naturally wide and have a big chest, with regards to insertion points and not thickness) they feel incline and flat bench are best and hate decline because it hurts their shoulders and they don't feel it in their chests.

you have to try different exercises to figure out what fits your structure. well, atleast that's the way i see it.

Yeah your 100% right, it hits your shoulders too much. I dont do them anymore after having rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. The therapist told me they were a definite no no. I do dips instead. And btw they are ALOT easier than flat or inclines because there is such a short rom and your back is arched more than others which is an advantage.

I like the hammer decline too and I have found that if I pull the back of my shirt up enough to expose a little skin on my lower back to the pad it prevents me from sliding up so no need to strap in.

great minds think a like.....i do this on the leg press...

Decline bench on the smith machine has transformed my whole chest in the past couple of years.

always had trouble with bench. Started going a little wider and keeping elbows out more and getting better results. other way felt more in my shoulders and couldnt lift that much weight.

Genitics

My genitics won't allow me to do decline or even flat bench. If I do I will have female sexy tities. For some people like me the lower chest grow faster then the upper chest. I only do incline to offset my lower chest.

does anyone prefer to do this exercise with elbows out and bringing the bar up around nipple level instead of dropping the elbows and bringing the bar lower around the sternum. i have found with elbows out it cuts the weight you can use down drastically but seems to be a more effective at working the chest in this position.

Tried doing this today. I did really feel it in my chest but it killed my elbows. So i brought my elbows in a little bit and still tried to bring the bar down to nipple level. I wasnt able to use the weight i normally do but feel it was just as if not more effective in working the chest. Will continue trying to do it this way.

does anyone prefer to do this exercise with elbows out and bringing the bar up around nipple level instead of dropping the elbows and bringing the bar lower around the sternum. i have found with elbows out it cuts the weight you can use down drastically but seems to be a more effective at working the chest in this position.

ABSOLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTELY! I haven't noticed any significant weight reduction with elbows out though.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws