over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Don't know what I want to do w/ my life-NEED HELP

HELLA SWOLE

Registered
I know this thread is a little off topic compared to the usual topics that are discussed here, but I need some help and I think you guys would be a good place to start. I am a senior in college and will be graduating next semester (spring '07) and I am extremely indecisive on what I want to do with my life. I jsut can't make up my mind. I will be graduating with a little over a 3.2 GPA and with a sports business/sports studies degree. I have basically come to the conclusion that my major sucks ass and really doesn't prepare you for much, and it is too late to change given that I am a senior and I have already changed my major once b4. I have no idea what I want to do with my life so these are the options I have come up with:

-stay and get a second degree in marketing, management, or real estate (this will take me another 1-1.5yrs)

-stay or go to another college and get some sort of master's degree (god knows what I would get it in though :rolleyes: )

-start preparing for the LSAT IMMEDIATELY and apply to law school-although I really do not know much about law school and what it entails just yet

if anyone has any advice/insight/suggestions on any of the above (mainly lawschool) then I would be very appreciative.

Last edited:
What are your interests? Follow what you enjoy doing and the money will follow.

Careers

Check with Pharmaseutical Comp. as a rep. A lot of new graduates look into this field. Most offer full benefits, car allowance, gas, and expense acct. This is in addition to Salary and commission.

Just a thought

I agree with thebrick. Find something that you truly enjoy doing, and will want to do 40 hours a week for the next 30 or 40 years.

I don't believe there is much point in making +$150K a year if you hate your job, besides the odds of you suceeding at something you hate are pretty slim.

Koevoet said:
I agree with thebrick. Find something that you truly enjoy doing, and will want to do 40 hours a week for the next 30 or 40 years.

I don't believe there is much point in making +$150K a year if you hate your job, besides the odds of you suceeding at something you hate are pretty slim.

I definately agree with you bro. I have never been one of people who could sit at a desk all damn day and hate life...even if I was making BANK. But, being able to FULLY support yoruself straight out of college is kinda of a stressful and a little bit of a scary thing (at least for me) I usually don't stress over anything and am usually EXTREMELY laid back, but this has me buggin'. I feel like I need to be qualified to have a decent job right out of school to take care of my necessities and then go from there in deciding what I like/want to do. The problem is, right now I do not know what I WANT to do, I feel like I will find it though eventually.

I was hoping some insight from some of the guys here would maybe help me out.

miketasher said:
Check with Pharmaseutical Comp. as a rep. A lot of new graduates look into this field. Most offer full benefits, car allowance, gas, and expense acct. This is in addition to Salary and commission.

Just a thought

I have defiantely thought about this, but most of these companies require sales experience out of their potential employees...which I do not have as of this moment.

I agree what type of degree only matters if you are going to be very specialized. Most companys are only worried that you went to school and finished. Most sales jobs want some type of experience you can start sellin phones, advertising, lower tier products like soft drinks and or route type sales and build a few years up then move to med tier like pharm, chemical, products and then someday if you want get specialized with like medical device and so on...

Don't stress too much....good luck

Hey hella swole,
Man, if I could go back in time and have a serious talk with myself at your point in time I would! You have to do what's in your heart! You've come this far with this. I seriously think you should be in the fitness industry. This is what you love. This is why you are here. This is why you compete. Maybe in management though? I dealt with sort of a similar thing at your age. I spent all of college trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Changed my major like ump-teen times. Started as computer science. Then went pre dentistry. Then went business and finally ended up with a double major in Finance and Entrepreneurship and like a bazillion hours. I think I had an entire year of wasted college credits that didn't go to anything! I was deadset on going into finance and either venture capital or investment banking. I loved analyzing companies. I read everything I could get my hands on about the subject. Even books that were on a PHD level. It was my passion. So what did I do when I graduated? Went back home to help my family out with their real estate business. B/c they needed me. And I am loyal like that. 10 years later and I am regretting it. All of my friends have moved onto successful positions with companies. Travel the world as consultants. Have very nice incomes. Get to take time off. Hell, three of my friends have taken between 2 months to an entire year off at times b/c they needed a break. Can you imagine that? Who in the hell takes even 2 months off from work? That just blows my mind. Anyway, poor business decisions have left me having to figure out how to support my parents, my gf, her little girl and my employees. And I regret not taking the jobs I should have in the past. Even though there was more uncertainty in the beginning. This is your dream. You may have to be involved with it a little differently than you first imagined, but remember its not about where you start but where you finish.
Keep us posted.

littlemack said:
Hey hella swole,
Man, if I could go back in time and have a serious talk with myself at your point in time I would! You have to do what's in your heart! You've come this far with this. I seriously think you should be in the fitness industry. This is what you love. This is why you are here. This is why you compete. Maybe in management though? I dealt with sort of a similar thing at your age. I spent all of college trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Changed my major like ump-teen times. Started as computer science. Then went pre dentistry. Then went business and finally ended up with a double major in Finance and Entrepreneurship and like a bazillion hours. I think I had an entire year of wasted college credits that didn't go to anything! I was deadset on going into finance and either venture capital or investment banking. I loved analyzing companies. I read everything I could get my hands on about the subject. Even books that were on a PHD level. It was my passion. So what did I do when I graduated? Went back home to help my family out with their real estate business. B/c they needed me. And I am loyal like that. 10 years later and I am regretting it. All of my friends have moved onto successful positions with companies. Travel the world as consultants. Have very nice incomes. Get to take time off. Hell, three of my friends have taken between 2 months to an entire year off at times b/c they needed a break. Can you imagine that? Who in the hell takes even 2 months off from work? That just blows my mind. Anyway, poor business decisions have left me having to figure out how to support my parents, my gf, her little girl and my employees. And I regret not taking the jobs I should have in the past. Even though there was more uncertainty in the beginning. This is your dream. You may have to be involved with it a little differently than you first imagined, but remember its not about where you start but where you finish.
Keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind words and insight. I am sorry to hear what happened. You are a good man though. Life has a funny way of working itself out ya know? It will happen for you, and I am sure it will for me as well, it's jsut the uncertainty that scares ya. :)

HELLA SWOLE said:
Thanks for the kind words and insight. I am sorry to hear what happened. You are a good man though. Life has a funny way of working itself out ya know? It will happen for you, and I am sure it will for me as well, it's jsut the uncertainty that scares ya. :)

That's right. Even I need those reminders.
Now go get in on my counseling thread before I have to call you out too! ahhahaha

Do something that you love

HELLA SWOLE said:
I know this thread is a little off topic compared to the usual topics that are discussed here, but I need some help and I think you guys would be a good place to start. I am a senior in college and will be graduating next semester (spring '07) and I am extremely indecisive on what I want to do with my life. I jsut can't make up my mind. I will be graduating with a little over a 3.2 GPA and with a sports business/sports studies degree. I have basically come to the conclusion that my major sucks ass and really doesn't prepare you for much, and it is too late to change given that I am a senior and I have already changed my major once b4. I have no idea what I want to do with my life so these are the options I have come up with:

-stay and get a second degree in marketing, management, or real estate (this will take me another 1-1.5yrs)

-stay or go to another college and get some sort of master's degree (god knows what I would get it in though :rolleyes: )

-start preparing for the LSAT IMMEDIATELY and apply to law school-although I really do not know much about law school and what it entails just yet

if anyone has any advice/insight/suggestions on any of the above (mainly lawschool) then I would be very appreciative.

Gotta tell ya, if you want to earn a nice living without going through all the extra schooling, get into sales. Find something to sell that you have an interest in, and you can have a fun and lucrative career. Pharma is a good way to go (I've been at it nearly 18 years) but they often require some sort of selling experience, preferably business to business.

Regarding the LSAT and law school idea. You better do it for the love of law, because most recent law school grads work 60-80 hrs a week for the firm and earn 30-40K. I know many people with law degrees that have decided sales is the way to go.

ChisledFat said:
Gotta tell ya, if you want to earn a nice living without going through all the extra schooling, get into sales. Find something to sell that you have an interest in, and you can have a fun and lucrative career. Pharma is a good way to go (I've been at it nearly 18 years) but they often require some sort of selling experience, preferably business to business.

Regarding the LSAT and law school idea. You better do it for the love of law, because most recent law school grads work 60-80 hrs a week for the firm and earn 30-40K. I know many people with law degrees that have decided sales is the way to go.

Yea, that's what I am kind of thinking. I just got off the phone with my best friend's brother who is in his third year of law school and he was basically saying the same thing. He was telling me how you have to look at law school like a full time job where you go to class early in the morning like 8 or 9 and read and do research in between classes and then you don't get home until around 5.....that is if you want to keep up with the material at least...

I don't know if I have THAT much interest. I am an extremely hard worker when it comes to things that interest me. Hell, I was able to bring my physique up from the skinny 145 lbs standing at 6'1" to the physique that is in my avatar now by doing my own research about training/nutrition and applying it through hard work and dedication. I was only able to do that though b/c of the fact that I had a genuine passion for it.

Last edited:
well i'm not sure where those numbers come from about recent law grads .. i'm in my 3rd year of law school and most everyone i know will be getting well over 100,000 to start with many making 150,000

BUT all the money in the world isn't worth it if you hate it .. and lawyers have the lowest job satisfaction rating around .. most people don't realize what lawyers actually do and spending 150,000 over 3 years to go to law school is a huge mistake for most

dude....

i sell real estate... get you licence... its great.. lots of money, and if you like people, its a great way!! PLUS, you typically dont have to have much experience.. it helps. but the school, and licencing makes it easier.. but have a good large brokerage to work under with lots of national recoginition. it has really made the difference in my success so far... and its only GETTING BETTER>..

Can I recomend the Army National Guard, Officers Program. I am a Computer Science Graduate as well as a Former Solider. It will give u amazing training to lead mean, run business, looks great on your resume, Teaches you how to be a man, and will pay for all of your future school, or previous college loans. ITs a wonderful program....

I say flood the fuckin planet with your resume and you pick what you want to do. You've just accomplished something big. Enjoy it, calm down, and make your move when they offer you what they have. Good Luck

HELLA SWOLE said:

Personally I would start with option A and go from there..........

Worry Not

\The vast majority of my friends are in jobs/positions that have very little to do with any "major" in school. I will also say that all are doing well, some just started a little slower but we have pretty much ended in the same place (we are in our 40's).The fact is that school prepares you very little for most professions with a few exceptions in engineering and computer science.

Other than a few specific fields your degree helps very little after your first job. I do have a degree from one of the top engineering schools in the nation and other than my first job, it just doesn't come up. They just want to see a degree.

Please be aware that being on the revenue producing side of any company/profession you are with is the quickest path to money. Accounting/finance positions have a good chance of rising to power, but at the expense of being confined to an office all day. Sales type positions usually have the most freedom/flexibility of schedule. This is contrary to what I thought when I graduated. I thought I am smarter therefore I get paid more. That is bs for the most part. Took me less than a year to figure that one out.

What you are feeling is natural and great for you to be dealing with. It will happen again a little later in life, and yet again, and it means you are growing, maturing and reaching crossroads/turning points in your life. Congratulations and good luck.

Pekkerwood

Yeah

Look into Nursing, or anything healthcare related.

As a nurse you have many many options. Do nursing for a couple of years then go into CRNA school, or Infusionist, nurse practitioner ect.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear