over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Evan Tanner Dead at 37

bigwags

Registered
Former UFC champ Tanner dead at 37
By Jeff Cain, Ken Pishna, and Tom Hamlin/MMAWeekly.com
2 hours, 7 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintRelated CoverageIole: Tanner his own man Blog: Remembering Tanner Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion Evan Tanner was found dead near Palo Verde, Calif. on Monday. He was 37.

Tanner had trekked into the desert on a journey to “cleanse” himself, according to Douglas Vincitorio of Tanner’s management team. “He went out to the desert to do a ‘cleansing’ as he called it. Kind of like ‘Survivorman.’” These short trips were not new to Tanner, said Vincitorio. It is something that he has done numerous times over the years.

“What we were told is that (Sheriff’s officials who found Tanner) believe his motorcycle had run out of gas, so he went to walk out in like 115- to 118-degree heat,” Vincitorio said. “He was miles away from his camp. That’s where the helicopter found him. Right now, they just think that he succumbed to the heat.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner had apparently told friends before he left that if they hadn’t heard from him in a couple of days, they should contact officials, which is what happened. When he stopped responding to text messages, friends waited a couple of days and then notified officials at the Imperial County Sherrif’s Department on Friday.

A search ensued and Tanner’s body was found Monday.

On Aug. 10, Tanner wrote a blog on Spike TV’s website, proclaiming his desire to start an adventure in the desert east of his new home in Oceanside, Calif. An avid outdoorsman and wandering spirit, he wanted to escape civilization for a while.

“I’m not just going out into the desert, I’m going out into the desert to hunt for lost treasure,” he wrote. “I’m going on a pilgrimage of sorts, a journey to solitude, to do some thinking, and to pay my respects to the great mysteries.”

On Aug. 16, Tanner wrote about collecting supplies for his journey, and wrote about the dangers he might face.

“I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life,” he said. “I’ve been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I’m going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.”

Of course, this led followers of his blog to fear for his safety, as they often did when Tanner reported his frequent by-the-seat-of-his-pants adventures. In a blog dated Aug. 27, Tanner tried to calm his audience.

“This isn’t a version of ‘Into the Wild,’” he wrote. “I’m not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I’m going fully geared up, and I’m planning on having some fun.”

But he also affirmed that things could go wrong if his equipment wasn’t up to snuff.

“I do plan on going back pretty far, so I did mention in one of my posts that I wanted to make sure to have good quality gear,” he said. “Any failure of gear out in the desert could cause a problem.”

On Sept. 2, Tanner wrote his final blog entry, documenting a training session at a facility in Oceanside.

The Amarillo, Texas native was a high school wrestling stand out who won the state championships his junior and senior years despite only getting into the sport as a sophomore. He entered mixed martial arts in 1997 encouraged by friends.

Tanner rose to the top of the mixed martial arts world by winning the UFC middleweight title over David Terrell at UFC 51: “Super Saturday” Feb. 5, 2005. He lost the title later in the year to Rich Franklin. Tanner, who had a career MMA record of 32-8 last competed in the UFC on June 21 losing to Kendall Grove by split decision.

“He will obviously be sorely missed,” said Vincitorio. Adding, “I think that Evan would want to be remembered as a very complex man with many layers, not just a fighter.”

Tanner was surely a unique personality. He’s eclectic spirit and competitive nature will be sorely missed in the MMA community.

Shit.....

That almost physically hurts to hear this. My god he was one tuff sob in the cage. My condolences to his family. Man, I loved watching him fight.

man, that guys knee's and elbows were somethign to be feared..

sad day for the sport of MMA. he seamed to be a good guy

I was just reading about it. Those aren't temperatures you can mess around in. My condolences go out to his family.

Was very upset by this when I received the news...I had met him several times over the years and have several mutual friends. He was definately a free spirit and one hell of a man, both in and out of the fight game. He will be missed as a truely genuine person.

shocked

Shit, that sucks. I always liked the fact that Evan Tanner was cut from a different cloth and did his own thing. I like his style.

Sad day indeed. RIP.

he should have had a good GPS and a sat phone +cell...going alone in to drive any enduro is just asking for trouble...

this story really upset me...he sounded like my kind of guy i kinda spend my time the same way...never go anywhere without water and at least 2 cell phones and another rider...going solo in the desert takes balls and then some...going as far as you have ever been and pushing the limits is very rewarding and very dangerous at the same time...

RIP evan tanner you were one tough guy in the ring and out of it...Alex

sad news indeed.....wasnt he married?

wow, not how i thought he was dead when i first heard the news, i thought he slumped back into a drunken bender after his loss again.
I always liked his story and character, self taught mma nobody who rose all the way to the top. Crappy news.

Sorry to hear about this. He was one of the greats.

No disrespect to him, but it sounded like a suicide mission.
Does anyone else feel this way?

What a shame

This was one of those guys that always came in shape and ready to bang. You could pretty much guarantee that if he was in the fight that it would be great to watch and as a fan that is something you really come to appreciate. RIP:(

I think I read that the average lifespan of someone who has played in the NFL for a number of years is like in their mid to late 50's just due to the constant beating their bodies take, im sure all these MMA fighters are in that same boat, but its traveling at a much faster pace than the NFL guys...just food for thought.

was he still in American Top Team ?

Very sad news indeed................Go to the desert for a cleansing?

For him not to keep better communacation with anybody or track his journey better sounds like someone with a Bipolar disorder or some sort of drug use.

For him not to keep better communacation with anybody or track his journey better sounds like someone with a Bipolar disorder or some sort of drug use.

bro how the hell can you say this kind of shit ? I mean there are many way to "cleanse", to each his own

I don't see how and why it would be a problem to stay alone for a few days in the desert if it was something he liked why would it have to be drug related :confused: :rolleyes:

whoa, big statements there !!!

He was the type of guy that just did his own thing and ultimately hes paid a terrible price for it. Theres no need to throw unfounded shit up on the board.

RIP

He used to train at my gym when he was in my area. He would train very hard when preparing for a fight. He was always Very respectful, and like myself just went in look at the floor and did his thing.

so if someone wants to get away from life's daily grind for a few days, their a mental case or a drug user?

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase. when i was back in the states i used to go off into the mountains for a few days by myself to get away from the world and figure things out.

sounds to me like tanner was more than likely a deep thinker and wanted to enjoy the world for what it was without any interuptions from the bullshit we normally deal with.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws