over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Exercising on a fasted state

Aaronmac

Newbies
Many people start exercising with an empty stomach because it is said that if you do it you will burn fat faster than if you had some food in your stomach. It is actually proven to be right since having an empty stomach is associated with having low sugar levels and in consequence, the fat burning process is faster. The question many people might be asking to themselves is that if it is healthy to go and exercise with no ingestion of food. Well you all should get your own conclusion on whether you want to burn fat faster or the benefits that eating can give you.
It is proven that the fat burning starts after approximately 20 minutes of exercising. So what? Well that means you will be wasting 20 minutes of your energy before you start losing fat and an empty stomach organism cannot give you the energy that a person who ate something would have. That means that the workout of a person who eats would be more effective since it has the energy to exercise for longer.
Eating before exercising will give you many benefits such as working as a recovery booster, will give you the strength to stand more intense workouts and will help people not to feel nauseous and dizzy which happens to people who do not eat and exercise for a long time. Now, it is important to know that it doesn’t mean you will have a complete meal before going to the gym. I would recommend people to eat a banana since it brings a lot of potassium and it helps a lot, a yogurt, oatmeal or a sports drink; those are good options for you to choose from and enjoy your workout with more energy.

The majority of people here look to get maximum benefits. That said, exercising in fasted state is about keeping insulin levels low moreso than blood glucose. Insulin will blunt lipolysis at best, with high enough levels it will almost inhibit lipolysis altogether. Glucagon is your friend when looking for maximum fat loss...
I do agree with you that you can perform at a higher level with adequate blood glucose levels - but thats not what I look for when I'm pre-contest...

Last edited:
I never really thought about the fat loss part. I just get much better hormone response on an empty stomach. So my workouts are just better on an empty stomach. But maybe that's because I do relatively short workouts. So maybe I'd feel different about it if I did longer workouts like some of you guys do.

When you say "exercising" what, exactly are you referring to? Weight lifting or cardio for fat-loss? I do 2 types of exercise, namely, aerobic and anaerobic. You need energy from food to fuel anaerobic pursuits, however WRT aerobic activity, fasted cardio for fat-loss is excellent.

WELL

Many people start exercising with an empty stomach because it is said that if you do it you will burn fat faster than if you had some food in your stomach. It is actually proven to be right since having an empty stomach is associated with having low sugar levels and in consequence, the fat burning process is faster. The question many people might be asking to themselves is that if it is healthy to go and exercise with no ingestion of food. Well you all should get your own conclusion on whether you want to burn fat faster or the benefits that eating can give you.
It is proven that the fat burning starts after approximately 20 minutes of exercising. So what? Well that means you will be wasting 20 minutes of your energy before you start losing fat and an empty stomach organism cannot give you the energy that a person who ate something would have. That means that the workout of a person who eats would be more effective since it has the energy to exercise for longer.
Eating before exercising will give you many benefits such as working as a recovery booster, will give you the strength to stand more intense workouts and will help people not to feel nauseous and dizzy which happens to people who do not eat and exercise for a long time. Now, it is important to know that it doesn’t mean you will have a complete meal before going to the gym. I would recommend people to eat a banana since it brings a lot of potassium and it helps a lot, a yogurt, oatmeal or a sports drink; those are good options for you to choose from and enjoy your workout with more energy.

People that goes to gym with an empty stomach usually are planning to do first some cardio and not specifically workout.

- The all point of that an empty stomach prior cardio is to start straight away burn those calories deposited on the body - and not first burn the calories of a meal and then those deposited on the body.

- And usually when you do this your priority is not to gain muscle but to lose fat at a quicker rate. Of course if the priority was to gain muscle first no way i would go to the gym with an empty stomach.

BODYBUILDING MADE EASY

For a natural guy, fasted cardio is not the best idea.

i recall reading something (perhaps by dr. michael colgan) that training a fasting state will produce a higher GH spike after. whether that spike is enough to offset the possible lack of intense training that may occur on a fasted state i cannot say

Fasted cardio is great but i wouldn't lift on empty, the other day i did empty stomach cardio then a scoop of No Shotgun (20g's protein) with 2 tablespoons fish oil pre-workout and i'm good to go. I'd worry about breaking down muscle tissue by lifting or doing HIT cardio on empty.

From “Essentials of Exercise Physiology” by McArdle, Katch and Katch (1994):

“Adequate carbohydrate intake helps preserve protein tissue. Under normal conditions, protein serves a vital role in the maintenance, repair, and growth of body tissues, and to a considerably lesser degree, as a nutrient source of energy. However, when the body’s carbohydrate reserves become reduced either through diets with inadequate caloric or carbohydrate content, or through participation in arduous endurance exercise programs, certain amino acids have carbon skeletons that can be rebuilt to glucose. This gluconeogenesis provides a metabolic option for augmenting carbohydrate availability in the face of depleted glycogen stores. However, there is a price to pay because gluconeogenesis can cause a temporary reduction in the body’s protein ‘stores’, especially muscle protein. A chronic reduction in carbohydrate availability, either through diet or exercise could definitely be counterproductive to training programs geared to increase muscle size and power.”

The word in bold is the only reason I partially agree with this statement, if the word was intermittent, cyclic or infrequent I would disagree completely.

But mostly I am curious why that there is not discussion of an overcompensation mechanism interplayed in this function (gluconeogenesis) as there is in every other aspect of the human metabolism. Perhaps someone could explain to me another reason why a competing bodybuilder makes such great gains after ceasing the prolonged starvation coming up into a contest? Maybe the repeated action of muscle catabolism thru cyclic starvation combined with exercise increases protein synthesis at the molecular level due to increased activation of cAMP?

The word in bold is the only reason I partially agree with this statement, if the word was intermittent, cyclic or infrequent I would disagree completely.

But mostly I am curious why that there is not discussion of an overcompensation mechanism interplayed in this function (gluconeogenesis) as there is in every other aspect of the human metabolism. Perhaps someone could explain to me another reason why a competing bodybuilder makes such great gains after ceasing the prolonged starvation coming up into a contest? Maybe the repeated action of muscle catabolism thru cyclic starvation combined with exercise increases protein synthesis at the molecular level due to increased activation of cAMP?

Wow, somebody was paying attention in advanced nutrition/muscle physiology class... Nice post.

Wow, somebody was paying attention in advanced nutrition/muscle physiology class... Nice post.

Haha, thanks but I was never a student, this thread just touched on somethings I have been reading about. I dont feel that exercise in a fasted state is detrimental to muscle growth in fact I feel it might be essential in accelerating it. Bodybuilders tend to be very near sighted in training and nutrition I think people need to look at the bigger picture when considering metabolic actions as opposed to short term side effects.

I use sythetine and sytheselene before I go to the gym and I have a lot of energy on an empty stomach. I hit the weights and do an hour of cardio, the stuff is amazing. I have already lost 13 lbs in 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner