over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

forced reps and partials

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
how many of you guys use forced reps and partials. for example today i did chest, back, and shoulders...i do one work set per exercise to failure and once i reach failure my spotter helps me force out 2 more full reps and 3 partials. when i got to the hammerstrength incline press i noticed that after my 2 forced reps i was able to get 5 partials that went about 6 inches from my chest. these are verry controlled no bouncing or cheating...does anyone else use this? and how do you feel about it?

Phil i dont quite follow. can you elaborate?

i THINK he means that is as advanced as you get as far as training, so once you start training like that, anything less would be a step backwards...

YES

i THINK he means that is as advanced as you get as far as training, so once you start training like that, anything less would be a step backwards...

GOOD READ........YOU ARE CREATING A STIMULUS THAT WILL HAVE TO BE DUPLICATED OR SURPASSED TO PROGRESS WHEN YOU PLATEAU.... WHO KNOWS WHEN THE PLATEAU WILL OCCOUR....THEN ITS BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.......BE CAREFUL.....THERE ARE EASIER WAYS

GOOD READ........YOU ARE CREATING A STIMULUS THAT WILL HAVE TO BE DUPLICATED OR SURPASSED TO PROGRESS WHEN YOU PLATEAU.... WHO KNOWS WHEN THE PLATEAU WILL OCCOUR....THEN ITS BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.......BE CAREFUL.....THERE ARE EASIER WAYS

well phil as soon as i have the money ill seek your wisdom.

cant that stimulus be surpassed by simply changing rep ranges and progressively increasing weight? or switching exercises for a while or switching to rest pause sets?

lol ok not simply, but can be done...like i said as soon as i have the money ill get with you and just pretty much follow whatever program you give me but until then im just trying to figure it out the best i can.

I agree with Phil here Tkav

Its all about the Z workout which beat the Y workout which beat the X workout which beat the W workout which beat the V workout which beat the U workout which beat the T workout and etc etc etc = progression.

There is a fine line between actually YOU doing the work vs your training partner doing a bicep curl on incline benches (forced reps) and continually beating last workouts numbers. Your taking a step toward the madness that Mentzer did in which he didnt know when to stop a set....and then he went so crazy he went the complete other way with it.

I think people like Phil and i look at things in a different view then most bodybuilders.....and im not speaking for Phil but this is what i gather from his posts....and its the way ive always looked at things (i have an engineering background and i start at the result and work my way backwards to see how the result was attained)

Most bodybuilders look at things in a "how can i hammer myself into oblivion in todays workout" --- thats all fine and dandy but thats todays workout...how you going to beat it to actually grow over time?

I think Phil and I look at things like this "ok its october...this is where you are currently and what you are doing.....where are you going to be in March of 2009?"

I know that looks simple on paper (or on the net) but it really does mean something....it takes the OCD out of todays workout and puts it in a 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 aspect.....todays workout isnt going to make you big.....the next 26 of them strung together in progressive fashion is going to do it though....so what Phil is saying is "Make damn sure you can beat tommorow what you did today"...and with all those forced reps and partials thats really not going to be alltogether feasible to gauge what you did vs what your partner helped vs this partial vs that last partial.

Doing 240 today for 10 reps and 355 in march for 12 reps will sure tell you alot though.

I hate forced reps personally because i feel there is no way to guage what you are doing vs your training partner.....I think a static hold or a partial will work as long as you dont get nutso with them...with the bottom line of importance being you used more weight on the bar on your set for 7-12 reps this time than you did for 7-12 reps last time.....which will mean your static or partial will be heavier.........(forced rep? yea that probably means your training partner might have to do that barbell curl a little harder spotting you on the incline--LOL)

Last edited:
ok so drop the forced reps because there is really no way to guage how much work the spotter is doing work out to workout and use the partials. what i do now is keep a log which i definately stold from you dante and every week either beat last week by 5 lbs or by a couple of reps. so if im pressing 335 for 7 now and in feb im pressing 405 for 7 it gives me a tangible progression in strength and size because there are no outside variables like the spotter doing the work for me.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear