over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting lean and staying lean for the long run

Alex A

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
I just wanted to share with you my opinion.

Everyone wants to get super lean, no doubt. Everyone wants their bodyfat low, especially with summer approaching.

But.. many people, will go to methods that are quick and short term. Jumping on T3, zero carbs, a ton of stimulants..Anything it takes to get there. I understand what their thinking but they are not thinking long term.

These types of quick lean up methods can work, but usually in a matter of time, they are back to were they started.

I advocate getting in great shape and staying that way forever..

Many people on this forum have come to me and I set up their plan with the intent to get them in great shape and put them on a plan that is easy to follow for a long long time.

My goal is to get someone in the best shape possible and then that is their new look.. forever.

Most people have seen my before and after pics but here they are..

and although my glutes are not shredded year round. Im only off my contest shape by about 10lbs.

Long term is the way to go, trust me. You need to follow a plan that you can do every day, day after day after day.. Its really not harder than you think. And bros trust me. Being in shape, vascular, lean, hard and healthy is the way to go. Think long term.

Attachments

• alexb4after.jpg
    alexb4after.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
Me in 2009

Attachments

• nuveaux_alex.jpg
    nuveaux_alex.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 586
Great post, Alex, and great advice!

This idea is changing my life bro..seriously. Ive learned a great deal from some of your posts these last few years. Great Post Alex!

great philosophy! Awesome post and phenominal pics!

I agree 100%...the idea is to think long-term...then do it and keep it!

I remember when I first started training I was "off-season/bulking" year round...too lazy and chicken to cut for fear I would get too small...I finally did it...

since then I have been leaner and better conditioned year round, it was the best decision I ever made

I stay lean for the ladies:cool: . Can't really work a fat pack like a six pack when trying to hit on girls.

i agree with everyone and want to thank you guys for contributing to the post.

For me, i just don't feel good at all when im fat or unable to take my shirt off without embarrassment.
Anyways.. the main point i was trying to make is this.

If you decide to do some type of diet to get lean or you decide you want to get in great shape then think about how your going to be able to stay that way for a very long time.

Get on a plan that can become a lifestyle.. anything extreme is going to be hard to maintain.

Alex,

MInd a question? In your thread you mention zero carb as a "drastic" measure. what about diets like Polumbo/Metabolic/CKD where you get the carb up once a week?

Here's my issue, I've gotten lean in the past by manipulating carbs like this and I'm affraid I've probably messed up my insulin sensativity etc. because when I eat carbs I really just get bloated and look like shit.

I would like to work them back in but with a show in june, which may even be a stretch, it would be like switching horses in the middle of the stream.

Do you have any suggestions? Do you think someone as carb sensative as I am should just stick with the original game plan and work on it later or try incorporating some daily carbs?

Just wanted to get your thoughts because I'm really sick of getting in great shape, only being like that for a week or two and then turning into a fat ass the rest of the time.

I just wanted to add, since Alex has been working with me since last May, I put on 20 pounds. Now for all you that think you can't put on muscle and stay lean, you can. Alex saw me last week and can testify how lean I am at 220. His diets are not some off the wall diet, but just sensible, consistant eating.

I just wanted to add, since Alex has been working with me since last May, I put on 20 pounds. Now for all you that think you can't put on muscle and stay lean, you can. Alex saw me last week and can testify how lean I am at 220. His diets are not some off the wall diet, but just sensible, consistant eating.

Those are some sick results Pesty...Do you mind me asking if this is with super supps, you can pm if you'd like. I have always heard the whole if you stay lean trying to gain muscle is possible but its a very slow process to the point where a only a few pounds of solid tissue can be gained a year if that..assuming one is naturall.

Alex

What great advise to everyone who may be impatient and want everything now!.....Believe me, I was one of them.....Now I know, it takes time, patience,as well as proper training, & nutrition, and supportive friends.

Alex,

MInd a question? In your thread you mention zero carb as a "drastic" measure. what about diets like Polumbo/Metabolic/CKD where you get the carb up once a week?

Here's my issue, I've gotten lean in the past by manipulating carbs like this and I'm affraid I've probably messed up my insulin sensativity etc. because when I eat carbs I really just get bloated and look like shit.

I would like to work them back in but with a show in june, which may even be a stretch, it would be like switching horses in the middle of the stream.

Do you have any suggestions? Do you think someone as carb sensative as I am should just stick with the original game plan and work on it later or try incorporating some daily carbs?

Just wanted to get your thoughts because I'm really sick of getting in great shape, only being like that for a week or two and then turning into a fat ass the rest of the time.

You said it brother!

I really dont want to offend anyone or criticize others for choosing this type of approach( zero carb) but i surely would love to meet someone who can do that year round.

I would incorporate those carbs back in your diet and include some regular cardio sessions, i doubt you will experience the bloating.

Your ideal situation is get on a plan that keeps you lean while staying clean then if you get "on" you can add more and grow into your prep for your show. Its a little more complicated than that but actually not much more complicated.

Pesty: he is a fine example of a guy who in less than one year has put on 20lbs without compromising body fat. His diet consists of carbs in 5 of 6 of his meals.

Also, when his 16 week prep starts he is going to eat like a king and continue to eat carbs in all but his last meal.

Smoothheavy & Ron Jon : Thanks bros for realizing that bbing is a lifestyle. you both represent well.

Marilyn: We have all been there. I realized a while back that anything drastic has drastic results.

When i first started competing, one year i committed to competing( pre registered, friends were coming, some bough tickets etc) I gave myself only 12 weeks to get ready.. My life was a living hell!

2 hours of cardio, minimal carbs, stress galore.. I did get in shape and looked pretty good ( crappy for my standards). I was just lucky no body better showed up that day and kicked my ass.

I didnt even learn my lesson, the next year, i got so fat I had to lose 50lbs in 16 weeks. It was torture.. the bottom line was that i was not making bodybuilding a lifestyle.

I eventually learned and all i can do is offer my opinion and try to help others avoid my mistakes.

In my opinion, the above is great advice.

I have always tried to consider the long term approach
to any changes I may make to my training or diet,
and always ask myself . . . "is this something I can
do for the long term" . . . because if you wind liking
the results (excluding competition conditioning) but
hating what it took to get you there, then the results
are most likely going to be temporary.

This is a great post and with many good people chiming
in with valuable info.

Thank you Alex and all the others.

Thanks to both you Alfresco and Pristi1340.

I think this is a reminder that we are all in it for the long run. As long as I can stay in shape, i think i put the aging process on hold. Well actually i think we all can get better as we get older.. we might have to try harder but we can get better

from what I have found through reading and speaking with other nutrition experts who deal with athletes, everybody is slightly different when it comes to macronutrient profiles, ie carbs, fat and pro

however people do not understand the the CNS recovery and efficiency is dependant on CHO! It cannot perform efficiently and at a high level nor can it recover effectively/completely without CHO.

some people do better with 60% CHO (usually ectos)
others with 50-55+% (mesos)
and still others in the 40% range (endos)

the key is to cycle them throughout the day based on activity level, and what you plan on doing or just did. This is the lifestyle approach I have taken and it has worked wonders for me and anyone else I have recommended it to.

carbs are good, protein is good and so are fats!

I personally like a 50% CHO, 25% Pro and 25% Fat Macro combo, however this changes based on my activity level and training load...I have gotten ripped (not ala Alex A style) but ripped enough for me at 60% cho, 15% pro and 25% fat

what alot of people dont realize is that CHO lend themselves to a positive nitrogen balance, meaning if you eat adequate CHO it increases the potential for hypertrophy and/or muscle sparring.

from what I have found through reading and speaking with other nutrition experts who deal with athletes, everybody is slightly different when it comes to macronutrient profiles, ie carbs, fat and pro

however people do not understand the the CNS recovery and efficiency is dependant on CHO! It cannot perform efficiently and at a high level nor can it recover effectively/completely without CHO.

some people do better with 60% CHO (usually ectos)
others with 50-55+% (mesos)
and still others in the 40% range (endos)

the key is to cycle them throughout the day based on activity level, and what you plan on doing or just did. This is the lifestyle approach I have taken and it has worked wonders for me and anyone else I have recommended it to.

carbs are good, protein is good and so are fats!

I personally like a 50% CHO, 25% Pro and 25% Fat Macro combo, however this changes based on my activity level and training load...I have gotten ripped (not ala Alex A style) but ripped enough for me at 60% cho, 15% pro and 25% fat

what alot of people dont realize is that CHO lend themselves to a positive nitrogen balance, meaning if you eat adequate CHO it increases the potential for hypertrophy and/or muscle sparring.

I'm glad this is in the newbie forum so I can ask... what is CHO?

Last edited:
Alex. Thanks for your thoughts. I may do this Cyclical Keto thing for another month just to clean up a little more but then I definitely want to try working some carbs back in - I'll just take it slow.

You said it best man! "I wasn't making body building a lifestyle"... That's me. I've been making it a hobby and in the process torturing myself both physically and mentally. I'm sure you know where I'm going with that. You look great one day and within weeks you're almost in a depressed state. That yoyo has to stop.

Thanks again.

Super Thread!

I've been contemplating this very subject for months now...Execellent advise so far!...

Alex, I wanted to run a thought or two at ya...What if one were to eat the right amount of carbs so they could stay in ketosis (this varies as u know, some it may be 40 per day others 20 per day)...Then at the end of week (sun), they were to load up on carbs,protein,fats for that day...Would this cause the body to burn fat at an alarming rate?...U would be eating carbs everyday, just enough tho to stay in ketosis...No zero carbs...

By the end of the week it would seem like one would be depleted enough so that when they loaded up it would simply go to the muscle and liver, rather than be stored as fat or used as energy...then the body would be utilizing fats as it source of energy, which would smoke the fat off all week long...then repeat the process...Is this good to go?..Also, being that the person did do carbs thruout the week and not zero carbs, wouldn't they be able to handle the process better, then making it a way of life...?

op

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member