over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Great new insulin article by Mike Arnold

This is the part that hit close to home.

"Another frequently misunderstood subject is how many carbohydrates one should eat when using insulin. Many people look at this the wrong way. They think “how many carbs do I need to eat in order to ward off hypoglycemia”, rather than asking how many carbs they need to optimize recovery and growth. More to the point, they allow their insulin dose to determine their carbohydrate intake, rather than using carbohydrate intake to determine insulin dose. This is a mistake. Before one even contemplates using insulin, they first thing they should do is determine the amount of carbs they need to maximize recovery & growth. Only after that has been done can one determine an appropriate insulin dose."

When I tried it, I was so scared of fat gain and lowered my carb intake to reach my insulin dose. Looks like having some extra carbs per iu even if it's more than 10 per iu is ok.

I have been saying this for years. People trying to squeeze by with carbs are doing it wrong and missing the point.

I did Mike's insulin protocol and put on 30lbs that month. I haven't touched it since because it took 3 months for my my body to get used to gaining that much weight in such a short period of time

What were you able to keep when you stopped using it?

I have been saying this for years. People trying to squeeze by with carbs are doing it wrong and missing the point.

Now I won't feel bad using 8iu humalog to cover 100g carbs

Lol, every time I would read "I'm going to do 10iu slin and 60g carbs...maybe 55 if I can get away with it so I won't gain fat.."
I would fucking LOL and shake my head in disbelief.

Possibly because 10ius isn't enough to cover 50-60g of carbs. Might go hypo. I'm thinking about using 3-4 iu's pre workout and 3-4ius post but my carb intake will be about 150g pre,intra,post all together.

Would'nt you be better off using whey isolate instead of carbs like he stated.
The protein would be more beneficial for recovery and excess would be converted to glucose...

"Another frequently misunderstood subject is how many carbohydrates one should eat when using insulin. Many people look at this the wrong way. They think “how many carbs do I need to eat in order to ward off hypoglycemia”, rather than asking how many carbs they need to optimize recovery and growth. More to the point, they allow their insulin dose to determine their carbohydrate intake, rather than using carbohydrate intake to determine insulin dose. This is a mistake. Before one even contemplates using insulin, they first thing they should do is determine the amount of carbs they need to maximize recovery & growth. Only after that has been done can one determine an appropriate insulin dose."
When I tried it, I was so scared of fat gain and lowered my carb intake to reach my insulin dose. Looks like having some extra carbs per iu even if it's more than 10 per iu is ok.

I would like to know his method finding this number. That's really the missing piece. how did he get the number 170gm carbs? Sooooo many factors come into how many carbs you need for optimal replenishment/recovery.

I agree with all of it for sure
-JS

I would like to know his method finding this number. That's really the missing piece. how did he get the number 170gm carbs? Sooooo many factors come into how many carbs you need for optimal replenishment/recovery.

-JS

I think he threw a random number out there. Hopefully he finds this thread and posts.

Mike talked a lot about insulin on this podcast if anyone would like more from the man himself...from a few months back.

**broken link removed**

Would'nt you be better off using whey isolate instead of carbs like he stated.

The protein would be more beneficial for recovery and excess would be converted to glucose...

That's why I go with super grade hydrolyzed whey from true nutrition combined with their HBCD for my intra workout....but I'm a nobody so what do I know

I feel like, while not introducing a lot of new info, he did a phenom job at clarifying its use as well as raising awareness on issues that need attention....

What strikes me most is WOW he is a good writer. HAS to have a formal education in english....

Not sure what his qualifications are, but he's a full time writer and a good one.

Possibly because 10ius isn't enough to cover 50-60g of carbs. Might go hypo. I'm thinking about using 3-4 iu's pre workout and 3-4ius post but my carb intake will be about 150g pre,intra,post all together.

Say one injects 10 iu Humalog post workout... you're talking about 50-60g carbs to cover ALL of this or just the first peak so to say? I'm talking about the common "immediate shake and a solid meal 45-60 min later".

Even I told you that ages ago (facebook I think). As Knight stated when you see guys saying stuff like gonna try and get away with 40g carbs for 10IU as I don't want to get fat you have to shake your head. Even worse are the guys superloading fast acting protein with no carbs with say 5IU Humalog. You want to make full use of the slin you put into your body.

never ran slin before. Always trying to get the correct info cause its so dangerous!!! but if done correct an amazing drug! This guy know his shit!!!!

think i read Mike somewhere saying he thought of lantus as the best insulin of choice. cant remember if it was him though for sure.

but lantus has by far the most activity on the igf receptor compared to faster slins apparently.
i remember reading a medical article too from a year ago where they said discontinuing lantus was being considered due to its effects on igf-1 levels and potential cancer risk for certain patients with existing conditions.

How do people use pre workout slin for more then 3 weeks with out feeling hypo at random times through out the day?

Mike said you could get away with not cycling but I certainly can't

For example: yesterday I had not used my humolog 12iu pre workout injection for almost 48 hour, I eat lunch, 200g chicken, 300g rice, 1 banana, 40 mins later am going hypo, dizzy, blurred vision, sweating ete, this has happen 3 times in the last 5 days now, always 40-60mins after food, only been runing 12iu 5 time a week for maybe 3 weeks ish

Any one eles get this?

Iv stoped using it an I'll give it a few weeks before I jump back on

-JS

The gram/IU ratio will vary depending on your personal insulin sensitivity. When you first start taking insulin (and your insulin sensitivity is good) then you'll need a larger dose than a few weeks into dosing. You can taper down throughout the week and see where you start going hypo and back up again.

When I experimented with pre & post workout insulin, I would have the same dose and the same amount of carbs pre & post. However, I would go very hypo with my post workout dose because my insulin sensitivity was greatly increased from the intense workout.

There is no hard and fast rules for your own metabolism, you need to use intelligent experiments on yourself and figure it out.

The gram/IU ratio will vary depending on your personal insulin sensitivity. When you first start taking insulin (and your insulin sensitivity is good) then you'll need a larger dose than a few weeks into dosing. You can taper down throughout the week and see where you start going hypo and back up again.

When I experimented with pre & post workout insulin, I would have the same dose and the same amount of carbs pre & post. However, I would go very hypo with my post workout dose because my insulin sensitivity was greatly increased from the intense workout.

There is no hard and fast rules for your own metabolism, you need to use intelligent experiments on yourself and figure it out.

Oh believe me I know how to use slin. that isn't what I am curious about in the least. I am curious how does one know the optimal number of carbs for best growth and recovery? that seems pretty damn hard to know and he talked about it matter of factly. and completely avoided explaining how to get that number. anyone whether using insulin or not wants to know that number.
-JS

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws