over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gym using security footage for un-racked weights

Blazed_Noob

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I’ve been going to a very well known gym in Maryland for most of my life.
The gym is very popular now and always packed
I buy a majority of my supplements from there aswell even though they are over priced just to support local business.

I had a call for emergency work while at the gym so I rushed to finish my workout and left 2 45lb plates on a machine in my rush

I got a text at 1am saying I’m receiving a warning for leaving weights on a machine. I thought ok that’s weird but ok.

So the next day I’m on the treadmill and one of the owners comes over and shows me a video on his phone of me leaving the plates on the machine.
He then says it’s not a big deal but do not do it again..

Not sure why but it really bothered me.

They went out of there way to track me down using the security camera footage and then approached me in person. I’ve seen many others leave weights and plates all over the gym and they are never warned or approached in person.

Would this piss you off ? Is this common now or are they just being picky?
Or am I just being a bitch about?

I have begged the owners of my gym to do that! I ALWAYS rack my weights back....ALWAYS!

I always rack my weights also. It wouldn’t bother me at all. These days it takes things of a much greater magnitude to even get my attention or give a shit.

I buy a majority of my supplements from there aswell even though they are over priced just to support local business.

I had a call for emergency work while at the gym so I rushed to finish my workout and left 2 45lb plates on a machine in my rush

I got a text at 1am saying I’m receiving a warning for leaving weights on a machine. I thought ok that’s weird but ok.

So the next day I’m on the treadmill and one of the owners comes over and shows me a video on his phone of me leaving the plates on the machine.

They went out of there way to track me down using the security camera footage and then approached me in person. I’ve seen many others leave weights and plates all over the gym and they are never warned or approached in person.

One time this angry five incher cop on the treadmill told the Karens in the front that me, my girlfriend and another lady friend used the weights, but didn't wipe them down. We did spray and wipe the bench, but this was the dumbbells. I mean we do it now, but that was a bit much)

However, putting weights back is a bigger deal and I think it's a good Idea. They probably don't look at them constantly, mostly if they see something like this to find out who the 'culprit' is, either way, I feel that more gyms should do this. Because don't you hate when someone leaves shit lying around or you can't find certain dumbbells because they're all over the place? Well this would help prevent that.

It's probably a new system they've implemented. You should be happy! I wish the commercial shit show gym I go to would implement that!! Most of my life I worked out at an independent gym and there was never a weight left on any bar or piece of equipment. The dumbbells went 5 to 50, 5 to 50, 5 to 210 and there was never any out of place. The brothers that owned it would give someone a warning and then if they didn't respect that, one brother would diplomatically tell them to find another gym and the other brother would tell them to get the fuck out! Hahahaha!! I miss those days! Members today don't know how to respect the gym...I don't think they care.

No a big deal, the sky didn't fall.
Continue on as usual, nothing to see here.

I would not worry too much about it or let it bother you. I see your point though, seems kind of petty to send a text at 1am when you are sleeping, plus call you out in person with video evidence in hand. A simple, hey brother please re rack the weights would have been a better approach then whipping out the video evidence.

Guy yesterday at gym didn't rack his 60 lb dumbells

I was like so allegely he can lift them but can't put back ..your too lazy to put your shit back ...I racked them after 10

But I'd say in your case I think what they should do is it happens one time don't say anything it happens another time don't say anything and then what happens to 3rd time then give you a warning and let them let you know or the person know that they have a racked their s*** 3 times in a row

I wouldn't be going crazy after the 1st time I caught somebody on video

I wish every gym did this. I detest doing somebody else's work for them. It's not just that...what about the people that might not be strong enough to clean the machine? Not just the older folks, but (as an example) my fiancé had hand surgery back in August and couldn't lift anything heavier than 10 lbs with that hand for about 6 weeks. That was a lot of weeks of me loading and unloading machines so she could train legs or the good arm...nevermind the times I had to strip a machine for her because some shiftless layabout didn't do it themselves.

Before I went back to school, working for a Gold's franchise, I spent more time putting weights away than just about anything else.

So yeah, I'm very black-and-white about it.

Living in Miami for 4 years broke me of ANY tolerance I had for that crap. I swear, that place is the epicenter for self-involved gym assholes.

If you had to to finish your workout you had time to rerack two plates. 😏

I think using security footage for people leaving a mess is a great idea , for a second offense you should be fined 25 cents per pound.

Now if other people are leaving shit around and he's not saying anything to them then I'd be suspicious of why he's singleing you out.

crazy to hear them doing that, but props to them for doing it, wish LA would do it, I hate it when someone hogs 2 or more pairs of dumbells around them on the floor

I always consider my wife when guys leave multiple plates on each side of the leg press. She has to take all those off, if I'm not there to help her. Most people that do this are habitual offenders and completely inconsiderate of others time. I would love my gym to do this

If I had a dollar for every time I called out people for not putting their shit away I’d be rich. Iv got heated more than once several times leading up to “I’ll see you in the parking lot mother fucker” several millennial fucksticks have tried to argue with me but they soon shut their useless mouths realizing who they are dealing with. I’m not the kind of guy that runs and tattles. I just deal w it. It’s my nature. Iv been thanked several times by other gym goers and staff for doing it. I love the idea of the camera. Wondered why gyms never used the cameras for that. But people in general these days don’t want confrontation so they just let it go. I say fuck that It takes seconds to rack your weights. And excuses are like assholes. 1am text is rude but so is leaving weights on the bar. You’ll be ok

Good on them for creating a system to address the issue and call people out. Seems as if traits like common courtesy and NOT being a lazy, uncaring prick (about putting back weights in this case) are becoming rarer these days!

Im sure I’ve left plates on a bar or machine before..not intentionally but I’m sure it’s happened
…I’m always baffled when people rack the plates wrong…put ‘em on the wrong pegs…you know..??

Well in fairness, regardless of the circumstance, you did something wrong…

It’s not that deep and you don’t know that they didn’t call other guys out, I’m sure you’ll rack your weights next time so it worked.

I always rack my shit and it’s a good thing, you always do too that’s why this bothers you, you feel like it’s a one time deal and if you’re jacked like most of us you prolly feel singled out and maybe you are the fact that matter is is all eyes are on us when we’re in the gym so if we don’t rack our weights nobody will so I would just look at this good thing don’t consider it as you being a bitch just maybe being a little bit sensitive but most of us are because we’re scrutinized everywhere we go so yeah if you don’t normally leave your weights on Rockton it’s a one time deal then it’s a warning and you just don’t like being worn by some fucking gym owner who should appreciate having your business I get that to

Rack your weights.

The only time its acceptable to not rack weight is to not rack it *immediately*. What I mean is, My gym is packed. Absolutely packed. I never work out in the same order. I use whatever I can and than use whatever is available next.

E.g. if im going from the hammer strength seated tricep press that has 270+ pounds of weight I put there but theres a single adjustable bench that *just* opened up I will get right up and throw my stuff on it and next to it. But will immediately go unrack the tricep press I was just using.

One thing I wont do is rack someone elses weight. No one is paying me for it. Its maddening enough to have a single 55 on the rack when you need two....and now you need to go on a scavenger hunt looking for it's friend.

Just rack your weights. If youre like me, you dont want to necessarily be near anyone else but you need to coexist. It's the minimum level of etiquette and consideration.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131