advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help; Bad Posture :::::::::: Shoulders Want to Fold in By Themselves.

Air Supply

Registered
Anyone else have a problem keeping their shoulders back when their doing normal everyday activities ? My shoulders come forward and I have to REALLY REALLY try to keep my shoulders back/chest out.

I think this is one cause of my ongoing back and neck pain.

Can someone help or recommend something ?

My best friend is a chiropracter and said that I need to stretch my chest more, but I always do that between sets.

The pain has gotten so bad in my back and neck, it's becoming very hard to sleep at night and I don't want to become dependant on pain killers.

Thanks in advance. My ears are wide open.

It could be your bed

Actually, I know that's one of the problems. I have a bad habit of sleeping on the couch. I know, I know......... The wife hates it.

That could atribute to the pain, but I don't think it could contribute to the forward shoulders. It's like I'm walking around with a constant lat spread. I hate it !

Anyone else have a problem keeping their shoulders back when their doing normal everyday activities ? My shoulders come forward and I have to REALLY REALLY try to keep my shoulders back/chest out.

I think this is one cause of my ongoing back and neck pain.

Can someone help or recommend something ?

My best friend is a chiropracter and said that I need to stretch my chest more, but I always do that between sets.

The pain has gotten so bad in my back and neck, it's becoming very hard to sleep at night and I don't want to become dependant on pain killers.

Thanks in advance. My ears are wide open.

I got an old trick for you. Take a broomstick handle across your back, then put your 2 arms behind it on each side(that the broomstick is resting on between your biceps and forearms) Leave in the position for 15-30 minutes a day, up to, twice a day. I had the same problem, this corrected it, by pulling your shoulders back.

I remember reading somewhere that this is caused by a muscle imbalance. One or more of the muscles on your dorsal side is underdeveloped in comparison to muscles on your anterior side. Some research would probably yield the answer.

I would recommend some chin tucks and some scapular stabilization exercises. Also continue your chest stretching. Don't expect immediate results as it will be a long slow process(in other words if you have a long-time habit of bad posture it will not be corrected overnight).

i have that problem too. i was always told it was a back-chest imbalance, which made no sense, since my lats and rhomboids are my best bodypart. then i read this article:

**broken link removed**

since i've focused on strengthening the upper traps and serratus, my posture has gotten alot better.

you can also use a dual cable stack for the face pulls. the important thing is that you are doing a horizontal row, but instead of pulling to the chest or stomach, you are pulling to ear level.

you can't use much weight at all. it also could be dangerous if you did it when you are already exhausted. i just do them in my warmup twice a week, keeping the reps fairly high

Actually, I know that's one of the problems. I have a bad habit of sleeping on the couch. I know, I know......... The wife hates it.

heh, I know this problem all too well myself.
Id really like to sleep in the bed, I just am usually so damn tired I never make it , and the little lady cant pick my heavy ass up lol

I would start putting in more serious work on the middle back (Rhomboids) and rear delts. You have an imbalance due to heavy chest work and not enough back work. Heavy seated rows with strict form. Good strict bent over laterals and some double dumbell bent over rows will have this fixed. Most powerlifters and heavy bench pressers have this problem. I call it the gorilla walk. Arms pulled forward in front of the body instead of at the sides. Get to work on your back!!

I would start putting in more serious work on the middle back (Rhomboids) and rear delts. You have an imbalance due to heavy chest work and not enough back work. Heavy seated rows with strict form. Good strict bent over laterals and some double dumbell bent over rows will have this fixed. Most powerlifters and heavy bench pressers have this problem. I call it the gorilla walk. Arms pulled forward in front of the body instead of at the sides. Get to work on your back!!

This was exactly my problem. Great advice!
Stretching and the broomstick trick also helped too.

Thanks guys, I've tried some the movements today you ya'll mentioned.

The lat pull down, but with a rope, and pulling to my nose. This felt really good.

I also did the seated row, but with a rope also pulling to the nose. I also did this with a straight bar. Then, I did some normal seated rows but had to quit because of back pain.

I'm starting to think that I might have a pinched nerve ? How would I tell ? If feels like the shooting pain is coming from the infraspinatus or rhomboideus. It's in that general area. The worst is in the morning, I can barely move.

I'm also doing your broom handle stretching as well.

Seriously, if breaking my arm would fix my back.......... I'd snap that sucker right now. That's how bad the pain is.

sometimes when my upper back and rotators are very tight, i stand with my back against a solid wall (as if about to do a wall squat), and slip a lacross ball (may want to start with a tennis ball) between my upper back and the wall. i then lean really hard into it and shift around, rolling though all the trigger points around the scapula. you will find certain areas of that musculture are really knotted up.

I've always heard that's a muscle imbalance as well, the upper back isnt as strong as the front delts and the pecs. It seems to me that doing seated rows, standing and bent over rows and other upper back exercises would help, along with stretching your chest.

I've always heard that's a muscle imbalance as well, the upper back isnt as strong as the front delts and the pecs. It seems to me that doing seated rows, standing and bent over rows and other upper back exercises would help, along with stretching your chest.
Exactly!!

ALSO DON"T FORGET

to do rear delts when you do shoulders.

i have that problem too. i was always told it was a back-chest imbalance, which made no sense, since my lats and rhomboids are my best bodypart. then i read this article:

**broken link removed**

since i've focused on strengthening the upper traps and serratus, my posture has gotten alot better.

you can also use a dual cable stack for the face pulls. the important thing is that you are doing a horizontal row, but instead of pulling to the chest or stomach, you are pulling to ear level.

you can't use much weight at all. it also could be dangerous if you did it when you are already exhausted. i just do them in my warmup twice a week, keeping the reps fairly high

Good stuff FS!

I have an NASM certification and that is one of the muscle imbalances they go into great detail.. Won't bore you with the scientific stuff.. But like alot of others on here already said... Rear delt work.. Flexability and strengthening..

How about up-right rows? Wouldn't that also help build up the back muscles?

I've been told that several people that my posture looks better and I always get these compliments right before a competition when I'm working on my posing. IMO, posing every day helps with your posture.

Something else that will help your posture... don't laugh!... is taking a dance class or yoga.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws