over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Posture and Internally Rotated Shoulders

rotinaj

Registered
Newbies
For those of you who have battled this, what approach did you take/methods have you implemented to keep your posture more anatomically correct?

I’m aiming to improve my chest and thus crank up my chest intensity/frequency/volume but I’ve constantly battled my front delt/chest tie-in area being frequently inflamed and overly tight leading to internally rotated shoulders. And I’m at a loss on how to improve without exacerbating the issue.

I spend 20-30 minutes every upper body day warming up with 4-6 sets of band external rotations, dumbbell scarecrows, pull aparts, band face pulls, and dislocations.
I also regularly do 1.5x pulling volume as pressing.

What the hell do I do, or do you do to keep your posture and shoulders in check?

This is what my Physical therapist had me wearing after surgery , he said that my shoulders had some internal rotation but from weight lifting and not being able to stretch and expand my chest for a few months he was concerned it would get really bad.
I've always had good posture but over the years neglected good shoulder mobility exercises because they hurt only led to more problems.
Get some deep , like really deep tissue massage , possible facial release and scraping and stretching the shit out of it.
Dante has some good shoulder mobility stuff on here somewhere that everyone who lifts should do.
This is the lib to the unit unused but Rogue has a much beefier version

My PT always told me 2 pulls to every push for correct posture, if your at 1.5 may want to adjust. Then have to consider if your doing heavy intense work for chest and then light stuff for pulls like fpull and bands, greater chance your going to have that imbalance.

This is what my Physical therapist had me wearing after surgery , he said that my shoulders had some internal rotation but from weight lifting and not being able to stretch and expand my chest for a few months he was concerned it would get really bad.
I've always had good posture but over the years neglected good shoulder mobility exercises because they hurt only led to more problems.
Get some deep , like really deep tissue massage , possible facial release and scraping and stretching the shit out of it.
Dante has some good shoulder mobility stuff on here somewhere that everyone who lifts should do.
This is the lib to the unit unused but Rogue has a much beefier version
I’ve seen these referenced for postural correction.. if I recall correctly, there is a powerlifting variety a “bow tie” that has much more force to it for more muscular people…
I’ve considered wearing one, but how long and often did you wear it? All day? A couple hours at a time? While lifting?
I will look into Dante’s mobility info thanks

My PT always told me 2 pulls to every push for correct posture, if your at 1.5 may want to adjust. Then have to consider if your doing heavy intense work for chest and then light stuff for pulls like fpull and bands, greater chance your going to have that imbalance.
I’ve been trying to add in the rotator specific exercises to compensate for less pulling as I’ve been told inflammation of the bicep tendon at the shoulder joint can contribute to the excess internal rotation… and additional pulling contributes to that.

I by no means train my pull work light, I’ve got all my hammer strength machines maxed out plate wise and sets are to near failure. Strength wise I’m rowing 205+ per arm for sets of 8-12 and but pressing 110lb dumbbells for sets of 10.
So literally near half the weight(but equal effort with rep tempo/pauses) on my pressing intentionally but still overly tight and inflamed anteriorly.

I’m at a loss lol

For those of you who have battled this, what approach did you take/methods have you implemented to keep your posture more anatomically correct?

I’m aiming to improve my chest and thus crank up my chest intensity/frequency/volume but I’ve constantly battled my front delt/chest tie-in area being frequently inflamed and overly tight leading to internally rotated shoulders. And I’m at a loss on how to improve without exacerbating the issue.

I spend 20-30 minutes every upper body day warming up with 4-6 sets of band external rotations, dumbbell scarecrows, pull aparts, band face pulls, and dislocations.
I also regularly do 1.5x pulling volume as pressing.

What the hell do I do, or do you do to keep your posture and shoulders in check?
I do a weighted stretch at the end of my chest workout, either with cables or dumbells. That banded chicken wing stretch is really good too

I’ve seen these referenced for postural correction.. if I recall correctly, there is a powerlifting variety a “bow tie” that has much more force to it for more muscular people…
I’ve considered wearing one, but how long and often did you wear it? All day? A couple hours at a time? While lifting?
I wore it all the time once I was out of the sling because I wasn’t doing anything upper body related so I knew my posture would suffer just sitting at home.
try doing scapular retraction exercises to help strengthen the acces muscles in the upper back area as well. On a ches support row let the weight hang and just squeeze your shoulder blades together, thing like doing a shrug only pulling to you rather than up , then do the same thing from a lat pull down or pull up. Just hand and drive your shoulders down to pull yourself up , again like a shrug from pull up position

I have the Bowtie, and use it for a few hours at a time throughout the day to retrain me on proper posture. Picked it up a few months back.

Cage

When ever i think about it i pull everything back to where it should be and that becomes more natural as time goes by. Same thing i did with my abs so that they did not stick out all the time. I find it is mostly about relearning correct posture and position.

I've used a number of this guys recommendations from the postural restoration institute to heal a long term hip issue I had. I can say, his exercise selections have given me more INT/EXT rotation in both my hips and shoulders over other methods I've tried.

Charles Poliquin said this as well and most of his info (at least when it came to training) was as good as gold in my book. He was very insistent on trainees adhering to this ratio of pull to push moves. He was also training a lot of elite athletes so keeping their shoulders healthy was a top priority.

There can be so much that goes into why your arms rest internally rotated. I like the idea to watch some YouTube videos like above to get an understanding what contributes but ultimately I would suggest working with a physical therapist to PT team so you can be evaluate in person.

On my current split I'm doing back and chest same day. Either alternative sets if gym empty or alternating each exercise if things busy.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws