mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

here's my other training dilemma, 44 yr old male.

saint808

Registered
here's my scenario essentially.

male: 44 yrs old. ex athlete in high school, wants to work out all 7 days a week. BW is 165 and he wants to puton 30 lbs or so, wants to train 2 sessions with me per week and 5 on his own.

i duno wether to do a split with him or to circuit him first. All i know for sure is if he is only 165 lbs i am keepo his cardio to 3x a week no more than 20 minutes, just so he doesn't put on chub? what you guys think? Can I push this guy a little harder?

if you can't tell i am new to this an a bit nervous.

7 days a week is going to be too much, there's no time for recovery. You'll need to convince him of that. There's not much reason to train more than 4 days each week (excluding cardio). At 165 lbs he can't be terribly overweight, but at 44 yrs his metabolism could have slowed down enough where he can add some fat if his diet isn't 90%-100%.

Are you outlining a diet for him? That to me would be more important for his success than anything.

Good luck with your client.

We need more information. what has he done since highschool? what kind of condition is he in. Has he had a physical? Is he going from nothing to seven days a week?

I am 58 yrs old and have been lifiting off and on for forty years, and going from off to on isn't easy.

FSM

If his health is good and there are no physical impairments and he wants to gain 30 lbs... then you know what to do. He wants a typical bodybuilding mass routine. If he wants to gain that much weight, I would only use cardio as needed. In other words, get him on a beginning weight training routine and don't have him do any cardio UNLESS he starts putting on fat. He needs a good heavy weight training routine and he needs to learn to eat for lean mass. I would start him out in the 12-15 rep range until he learns proper form. After around 3 weeks, or so start decreasing the reps and adding weight. There are dozens of training splits to choose from. I like starting people that have these types of goals on a four day per week routine, like this.

Monday- Back
Teusday-Chest
Wednesday-Off
Thursday- Legs
Friday-Arms

Split this way, you are basically hitting each muscle group twice per week. Once is with the primary exercises and the second time is with secondary exercises. Example- Monday do deadlift for back which is secondary for legs, then Thursday hit legs as the primary. Or, Teusday do bench press for chest and on Friday do close grip dips and get a secondary movement for chest. Each workout is primary for one bodypart and secondary for another. You just have to choose the right exercises.

I was there, and found that compound movements worked best and eating was the hardest part. Lots of protein. I started maling my best gains working only 3 days a week and lifting heavy , but that was me. I've went from 165 to 215 in about 5 years. J.R.

Saint

not as an insult by any means, but why do u seem so confused about all this? are you a personal trainer?

Why not train all your clients using General Guidlines that You have seen work and that you believe in.

Of course each program can can be adjusted a lil bit depending on a person's physical capabilities and work ethic. But if you are the trainer you should take charge and tell them what to do instead of letting them tell you what they want designed.

Conan21 said:
Saint

not as an insult by any means, but why do u seem so confused about all this? are you a personal trainer?

Why not train all your clients using General Guidlines that You have seen work and that you believe in.

Of course each program can can be adjusted a lil bit depending on a person's physical capabilities and work ethic. But if you are the trainer you should take charge and tell them what to do instead of letting them tell you what they want designed.

no offense taken by any means... just anxiety building up, so i am requestioning the very things i have been studying. just need some reassurance essentially and have to realize that not everyone is gonna give as much as i do and have the same goals... the format is the same to some extent and i guess what i need is to believe in myself... hell in effect i was my first client.

It's hard when you first start training people. The hardest part for me was realizing that not everyone wants to have to squat til they can't walk and be sore for 4-5 days. Not everyone wants to have huge vascular arms, or quads. Some people just want to be in shape. Some people just want to be healthier. It takes time to learn how to train people individually when you've spent years learning to train for YOUR OWN goals. I've been there, Saint. You'll do fine.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mvdds
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws