advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to Properly Clean an Injection Top and Site...

myosin

Kilo Klub Member
I realize that at first read the title might almost seem insulting to some, especially the vets, etc. Give me a moment to explain first-

As some know, I've been an ICU nurse for awhile now (and while far from infallible, a pretty good one at that). Particularly b/c we are an inter-nationally recognized hospital we are always striving to keep up with "best practice" methods to decrease infections especially (the saying is "the last place you want to be when your sick is in the hospital").

The other day, our "Practice Group" placed an incredible illustration that I hope to find where they got it so I can put it here. There was a picture of the part where you inject IV meds into the IV line. It showed the amount of bacteria on a normal "port"... ALOT. Then, there were were several other pictures showing how much bacteria was on the port after being wiped with alcohol for 1) 1 second 2) 5 seconds 3) 10 seconds and 4) 15 seconds.

Group 1&2 still had a decent amount of bacteria on it, even group 3 was a bit significant. Group 4, 15 seconds, had almost all the bacteria wiped off.

I'm guessing that most here, myself included, pretty much only wipe the vial top and our skin for maybe 3 seconds at best (if you honestly do the "1-thousand-1, 1-thousand-2, approach).

So, to help prevent introducing bacteria into either your vial or your body upon injection, try to first wipe with alcohol for 15 seconds on each (might seem like a long time, but a couple weeks on antibiotics for an abscess would seem even longer :))

Addendum- I also realize that there are probably MANY members here who have only wiped for a few seconds in both places and have never had an abscess, which is great! The same can be said for the injection ports and lack of patient infection. The point of the thread is simply to show the "best practice" method.

Last edited:
I always rub my skin atleast 20 seconds but the vial i just wipe and let air dry i guess this doesnt cut it, u actually have to rub the vial for 15 sec?

Yes....

The way I look at it, the injection port is not that much different from the top of a vial. Both are exposed to the elements. Granted, an injection port sitting in a patients bed is probably more "dirty" than a vial top where it sits in the cabinet or fridge untouched until the next use. But, that's just an "educated speculation", until otherwise, it may be best wise to wipe that long on both.

Good for you that you wipe your skin that long though!

I am surprised that it would take 15 seconds to really get most of it. I would think 5 sec or so would be good if you cover all of the area around the site and the vial top well. Im gald that you posted this.From now on I am going to do the 15 second method. In the past if I did it that long I felt like I was being anal retentive.

I agree...

I am surprised that it would take 15 seconds to really get most of it. I would think 5 sec or so would be good if you cover all of the area around the site and the vial top well. Im gald that you posted this.From now on I am going to do the 15 second method. In the past if I did it that long I felt like I was being anal retentive.

Yeah, right? Seems crazy. At the same time, we are dealing with immuno-compromised patients, etc. so that is why it's so important in my line of work, but I tell ya, seeing the pics of how much bacteria was still there is what made me really want to put this here.

I'm off for a few days but when I go back I hope I can find the person who posted that, the pics will really impress some people I think.

When I give blood at my local clinic, the phlebotomist watches the clock while rubbing the alcohol swab on my arm, he/she does it for exactly 30 seconds.

Interesting...

When I give blood at my local clinic, the phlebotomist watches the clock while rubbing the alcohol swab on my arm, he/she does it for exactly 30 seconds.

Thanks for that input, Kal!

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner