over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

IGF LR3 and blood sugar

mrcat

Registered
I'm type 2 diabetic and considering a cycle of IGF. I've heard it can lower blood sugar, but am wondering if anyone has any numbers as too how much. I realize everyone is likely a bit different, but just looking for some general guidelines. I can't use gh, due to interaction with my diabetic meds....

I'm type 2 diabetic and considering a cycle of IGF. I've heard it can lower blood sugar, but am wondering if anyone has any numbers as too how much. I realize everyone is likely a bit different, but just looking for some general guidelines. I can't use gh, due to interaction with my diabetic meds....

Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for ... but I posted those studies on another forum ... to address the whole type 2 diabetes and igf-1 issue ... this should give you an idea of what you are looking for. Anyhoo, I suppose you do have a glucometer ... so once, you start injecting the igf-1 ... test your glucose level every 30 minutes/hour for the next 6-8 hours, that way you'll know exactly how well you respond to it.

Also, note that people injecting insuline lower there dose once they start injecting igf-1. So this is something you might have to think about too ...

Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I increases insulin sensitivity and improves glycemic control in type II diabetes
AC Moses, SC Young, LA Morrow, M O'Brien and DR Clemmons
Division of Endocrinology, Charles A. Dana Research Institute, Harvard-Thorndike Laboratories, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA 02215, USA.

Insulin resistance is a major factor in the pathophysiology of type II diabetes and a major impediment to successful therapy. The identification of treatments that specifically target insulin resistance could improve diabetes management significantly. Since IGFs exert insulin-like actions and increase insulin sensitivity when administered at supraphysiological doses, we determined the effect of 6 weeks of recombinant human IGF-I (rhIGF-I) administration on insulin resistance and glycemic control in obese insulin-resistant patients with type II diabetes. A total of 12 patients with type II diabetes were recruited for the study. Subcutaneous administration of rhIGF-I (100 micrograms/kg b.i.d.) significantly lowered blood glucose. Fructosamine declined from 369 to 299 mumol/l by 3 weeks of administration and then declined further to 271 at the end of 5 weeks. Glycosylated hemoglobin, which was 10.4% pretreatment, declined to 8.1% at the end of therapy. Mean 24-h blood glucose during a modal day was 14.71 +/- 4.5 mmol/l pretreatment and declined to 9.1 +/- 3.21 mmol/l by the end of treatment. These improvements in glycemia were associated with a decrease in serum insulin levels. Mean insulin concentrations declined from 108.0 to 57.0 pmol/l during the modal day measurements and from 97.2 to 72.0 pmol/l during the mixed-meal tolerance test. Changes in glycemia were accompanied by a marked increase in insulin sensitivity. The insulin sensitivity index (SI) calculated from a frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test (FSIVGTT) after the method of Bergman et al. (Bergman RN, Finegold DT, Ader M: Assessment of insulin sensitivity in vivo. Endocr Rev 6:45-86, 1985) increased 3.4-fold. Furthermore, the improvement in glycemic control was accompanied by a change in body composition with a 2.1% loss in body fat as calculated by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry without change in total body weight. Significant side effects were present in some subjects, although nine subjects were able to complete at least 4.5 weeks of the protocol and six subjects completed the entire 6 weeks. Supraphysiological IGF-I concentrations were maintained throughout the study, increasing from 206 micrograms/l in the control period to 849 micrograms/l at the end of 6 weeks of rhIGF-I treatment. The increase in IGF-I levels was accompanied by a significant increase in IGF binding protein-2 levels, a slight reduction in IGF binding protein-3 levels, and an increase in levels of IGF binding protein-1. In summary, IGF-I significantly lowered blood glucose as reflected by short-term and long-term indexes of glycemic control and increased insulin sensitivity. It remains to be determined whether a dosage can be administered that avoids significant side effects and still achieves reasonable glycemic control.

J Endocrinol. 1997 Nov;155(2):377-86. Links
IGF-I variants which bind poorly to IGF-binding proteins show more potent and prolonged hypoglycaemic action than native IGF-I in pigs and marmoset monkeys.Tomas FM, Walton PE, Dunshea FR, Ballard FJ.
Cooperative Research Centre for Tissue Growth and Repair, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.

The relative acute hypoglycaemic potencies of IGF-I and several variants of IGF-I which bind poorly to the IGF-I binding proteins (IGFBPs) have been examined in marmosets (Callithrix jacchus) and the pig. In the marmoset study, IGF-I and des(1-3)IGF-I were compared in anaesthetised and conscious animals in a range of bolus doses from 42 to 270 micrograms/kg body weight. In the pig study, IGF-I was compared with four variants, des(1-3)IGF-I long-IGF-I, R3IGF-I and long-R3IGF-I (LR3IGF-I), which show reduced affinity for the IGFBPs as well as with insulin. Doses in the pig were 20 and 50 micrograms/kg body weight for the IGFs and 3 micrograms/kg for insulin. In each study serial blood samples were taken from 30 min before to 4 h after the bolus injection. Plasma glucose levels were decreased in a dose-responsive manner with the pig more sensitive than either the conscious or anaesthetised marmoset (maximum lowering 4.8, 3.7 and 2.5 mmol/l respectively). The IGF variants were consistently 2- to 3-fold more potent than IGF-I in each animal for lowering of plasma glucose to the nadir, with the potency reflecting the relative affinities for binding to the IGFBPs and the IGF-I receptors. Thus, hypoglycaemic potency was in the order IGF-I < long-IGF-I < R3IGF-I approximately LR3IGF-I < des (1-3)IGF-I. Notably the variants suppressed plasma glucose levels over a much longer period than did IGF-I, the cumulative suppression over four hours showing an approximately 4- to 8-fold increase in the extent of hypoglycaemia. The prolonged suppression was not simply proportional to the hypoglycaemic nadir; at doses equipotent for glucose lowering, the cumulative hypoglycaemic effect for the variants in either species was about 2-fold that for IGF-I. The differential effect of the variants in the marmoset could not be accounted for by correlated changes in plasma insulin, IGF-I or IGFBP levels in plasma. Indirect effects via inhibition of glucagon, or direct effects via hepatic insulin receptors are postulated to account for the results. There was a dose-related reduction in plasma amino acids in the pig but, unlike the case for plasma glucose, only one analogue, LR3IGF-I was more potent than IGF-I. The response to LR3IGF-I was accentuated at the high dosage but on the basis of the other variants tested this effect could not be ascribed to either of the incorporated molecular variations. Despite their more rapid clearance from the circulation, variants of IGF-I which show lower affinity for binding to IGFBPs show proportionately superior potency for sustained hypoglycaemic action. Since our data were obtained in animal models of accepted relevance to humans these results point to the possible superior efficacy of the variants, especially des(1-3)IGF-I, over IGF-I for use as an adjunct to insulin treatment of hyperglycaemic conditions.

PMID: 9415072 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hypoglycemic effects of insulin-like growth factor-1 in experimental uremia: can concomitant growth hormone administration prevent this effect?Kovacs GT, Worgall S, Schwalbach P, Steichele T, Mehls O, Rosivall L.
2nd Department of Pediatrics and Institute of Patophysiology and International Nephrological Research and Training Center, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary. [email protected]

The risk of hypoglycemia limits the clinical application of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). Our studies aimed to evaluate the mode of occurrence as well as the prevention of this side effect. Acute administration (i.v. infusion) of IGF-1 in subtotal nephrectomized uremic (U), sham-operated ad libitum fed control © and sham-operated pair-fed control (P) rats led to hypoglycemia, though more expressed in P. Serum glucose levels decreased within 60 min after the IGF-1 administration by 40% in U, by 45% in C and by 52% in P (p < 0.05, U vs. P). Chronic administration (7 days) of 1, 4 and 8 mg/kg/day IGF-1 in U rats led to hypoglycemia in an increasing manner as the dose of IGF-1 increased. On the first day, 2 h after injection, serum glucose levels were 116.5 +/- 8.6, 110.4 +/- 12.4, 60,3 +/- 19.2 and 50.6 +/- 18.3 mg/dl, respectively (p < 0. 01). One week later, IGF-1 therapy proved to be less hypoglycemic in all the groups. On day 7, 2 h after injection the serum glucose levels were 118.9 +/- 23.8, 89.0 +/- 23.9 and 66.0 +/- 32.0, respectively (in comparison to day 1 for 4 and 8 mg/kg/day IGF-1 p < 0.05). The combined effect of 4 mg/kg/day IGF-1 and 10 IU/kg/day growth hormone (GH) was also studied in U and P animals. Two hours after the first injections of IGF-1 serum glucose levels decreased in U from 120.0 +/- 11.3 to 49.2 +/- 21.6 mg/dl, while IGF-1 plus GH decreased the glucose level from 122.0 +/- 15.5 to 81.3 +/- 24.7 mg/dl (p < 0.05 IGF-1 vs. IGF-1 + GH). The hypoglycemic effect of IGF-1 was less expressed by long-term treatment and simultaneous administration of GH overcame the glucose-lowering effect of IGF-1 (serum glucose levels on day 11 one hour after the injections: 73.7 +/- 15.3 mg/dl with IGF-1, and 111.0 +/- 7.8 mg/dl with IGF-1 + GH). Methylprednisolone (MP) did not significantly alter the former effects of IGF-1 and GH. In summary, IGF-1 leads to hypoglycemia in control and uremic rats in a dose-dependent manner. This effect becomes less expressed after prolonged administration. GH attenuates the hypoglycemic effect of IGF-1. This suggests that the combined GH and IGF-1 treatment is more effective and less dangerous in correcting uremic growth failure.

PMID: 10474022 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hope this helps.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
billions.must.lift
NapsGear