over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insulin question

Waylanderxx

Registered
If you are using insulin at a time other than preworkout, should you try to make the meal as low in fat as possible?

A buddy of mine was telling me to avoid fats since insulin increases uptake of all nutrients the body will store fats as fat. However, that doesn't really make sense IMO.

Thoughts?

Many will believe insulin is the sole cause of fat storage which is not completely true. Insulin activates an enzyme called lipoprotein lipase which is involved in breaking fatty acids off of chylomicrons for storage. So yes insulin inhibits lipolysis and the fats won't be used as energy at that very moment. This is the same weather you inject insulin or enjoy a nice juicy steak:rolleyes:

What many don't realize is the is that during the post-absorptive stage the hormones switch to catabolic in attempt to maintain homeostasis. At this time fat will be used as energy to the extent of calories burned. So it will balance out as a way of trying to achieve homeostasis.

Im sure many will say eats fats with just protein in a separate meal to avoid the presence of insulin ( which we know is not true because protein also initiates an insulin response). This is still not the case because a hormone known as ASP which is other known as “the most potent stimulator of fat storage in the fat cell". ASP becomes elevated during the presence of insulin or fat intake (ASP is activated by a small protein on the surface of
chylomicrons, for those who are interested). So dietary dat will stimulate its own storage weather it be eaten with protein, carbs, or both.

To directly answer you're question, within 24 hours it makes a damn of a difference.

Lots of good info there thanks. So it sounds like having some fats with the meal won't matter, unless I just totally read that wrong lol.

Was pretty much looking at doing 97% lean ground beef with jasmine rice +6 iu slin.

I just started humalog preworkout last week and I have it structured where I only eat carbs when the insulin is active, basically pre-intra-post workout, but zero fat. And when the insulin is not active I eat zero carbs with high fat. In only one week I am getting leaner and this is with no hgh. Sounds good but it was not the result I was attempting to achieve, I was hoping for the MIke Arnold 20 pounds in 4 weeks results.

Maybe I am structuring it wrong though who knows? I'll keep trying, trial and error.

Just don't be one of those guys who elevates insulin 24 hours a day and it won't matter. Its a terrible idea for many reasons but with in 24 hours there will be no difference. I have to say Im rather confused we're this myth started from.

I just started humalog preworkout last week and I have it structured where I only eat carbs when the insulin is active, basically pre-intra-post workout, but zero fat. And when the insulin is not active I eat zero carbs with high fat. In only one week I am getting leaner and this is with no hgh. Sounds good but it was not the result I was attempting to achieve, I was hoping for the MIke Arnold 20 pounds in 4 weeks results.

Maybe I am structuring it wrong though who knows? I'll keep trying, trial and error.

That's why I was curious, I also use Mike Arnolds protocol and have had ridiculous results in 2 weeks, but in his protocol I noticed he has zero fats included for the workout period. I wasn't sure if that was something that needed to always be considered when dosing insulin.

Iintensity, instead of doing like one 10 IU shot at once I was looking at splitting that dose up into two different feeding periods and see if there was any difference in results. Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

What type of insulin will you be using? Humalin-r is preferred.

What makes you say that? I've been using humalog btw.

If fast acting insulin isn't beneficial for multiple dosings I'll just stick with the larger dose preW since that's been working extremely well.

Last edited:

Insulin will always make everyone get bigger when used proplery...IF (big if), you're eating enough cals and overall carbs so that the body not only has enough cals to support it's current bodyweight, but also has enough carbs to fill glycogen stores beyond normal limits.

Using insulin during a caloric deficit will signifcanty reduce your overall ability to fill out your musculature, as the body will use the carbs it needs for energy before keeping it stored as glycogen.

You also mention you are consuming no fat at the time the slin is active, yet you are consuming NO other carbs with your other meals. Being that a single dose if Humulin R will only stay active about 5 hours (it is mostly gone by then), that means you are eating zero carb diet the majority of the day.

Now, I don't know what your metabolic needs are or how many carbs you require to maxmimize glycogen stores, but I will tell youi it is impossible to attain maximum muscle fullness when eating zero carbs for the maority of the day. Even if you took in about 200 grams of carbs when the slin was active at your pre/intra/post workout meals or shakes, but ate no other carbs the rest of the day, you should not expect great results with any insulin program.

You will already be burning offf some of those carbs during the wporkout itself...and any carbs your do store during that period will be taken right back out fo storage and used up during the rest of the day when you aren;t eating any carbs. 200 grams of carbs is a very low amount of carbs to eat for an entire day. Most guys will need between 2-3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight (on average) if they want to gain mass and maximize glycogen stores.

Insulin will increase your bodyls ability to store glycogen, making your muscles swell and look bigger, but if you aren't eating enough carbs to fill up yout glycogen stores to bein with, it won't matter how much insulin you use....your results will alays be impaired.

As far as 20 lbs in 4 weeks goes, that is NOT common with just a pre-workout protocol and I would not have said that, as I know it is not true. Now, people "can" gain 20 lbs in 30 days from insulin IF the circumstances are right, now with the protocol you are talking about, I would day 10 lbs is probably average in the first 2 weeks. By that time, you will have increased your muscle fullness about as much as you're going to with that protocol, assuming everything else remains the same.

With insulin, the weight gains which take place in first few weeks are always attributable to an increase in muscle fullness..NOT muscle growth. After fullness has been maxed out, any further lean weight gains caused by insulin will be muscle tissue, but that is a much slower prpocess than increasing muscle fullness, which is why the weight gains slow down so much after the first few weeks. Insulin causes growth in a few ways, such as activating genes directly related to protein synthesis...by indirectly increasing protein synthesis through increased muscular volumization...and by directly increasing protein synthesis through enhanced nutrient transport to the muscles.

If you haven't gained any fullness in the first week from the current program you are following, there is some aspect() of your program which is deficient.

Lots of good info there thanks. So it sounds like having some fats with the meal won't matter, unless I just totally read that wrong lol.

Was pretty much looking at doing 97% lean ground beef with jasmine rice +6 iu slin.

The only reason I did not have any fat in that protocol is because it was designed to shove as many nutrients into the muscle as possible during the workout period. Fats will slow the digestuioin rate and therefore, decrease the speed at which those nutrients enter the muscles.

Now, if a small amount of fat was added to that protocol, it would not make much of a difference because absorption rate would be minimally impaired, but a large of fat amount would make a difference. At the other times of the day, you do not have to worry about having some fat in your meals when the slin is active. The meal you described above, with 97% lean ground beef and jasmin rice...that is totally fine to be used with insulin. Great muscle building meal.

I think humulin r would be best(better than humalog) about 45-60min pre. You have time to supply nutrients pre, during, and post workout with humulin.

On a side note, GPLC is expensive! Are you following Mike's protocol to a t?

Insulin will always make everyone get bigger when used proplery...IF (big if), you're eating enough cals and overall carbs so that the body not only has enough cals to support it's current bodyweight, but also has enough carbs to fill glycogen stores beyond normal limits.

Using insulin during a caloric deficit will signifcanty reduce your overall ability to fill out your musculature, as the body will use the carbs it needs for energy before keeping it stored as glycogen.

You also mention you are consuming no fat at the time the slin is active, yet you are consuming NO other carbs with your other meals. Being that a single dose if Humulin R will only stay active about 5 hours (it is mostly gone by then), that means you are eating zero carb diet the majority of the day.

Now, I don't know what your metabolic needs are or how many carbs you require to maxmimize glycogen stores, but I will tell youi it is impossible to attain maximum muscle fullness when eating zero carbs for the maority of the day. Even if you took in about 200 grams of carbs when the slin was active at your pre/intra/post workout meals or shakes, but ate no other carbs the rest of the day, you should not expect great results with any insulin program.

You will already be burning offf some of those carbs during the wporkout itself...and any carbs your do store during that period will be taken right back out fo storage and used up during the rest of the day when you aren;t eating any carbs. 200 grams of carbs is a very low amount of carbs to eat for an entire day. Most guys will need between 2-3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight (on average) if they want to gain mass and maximize glycogen stores.

Insulin will increase your bodyls ability to store glycogen, making your muscles swell and look bigger, but if you aren't eating enough carbs to fill up yout glycogen stores to bein with, it won't matter how much insulin you use....your results will alays be impaired.

As far as 20 lbs in 4 weeks goes, that is NOT common with just a pre-workout protocol and I would not have said that, as I know it is not true. Now, people "can" gain 20 lbs in 30 days from insulin IF the circumstances are right, now with the protocol you are talking about, I would day 10 lbs is probably average in the first 2 weeks. By that time, you will have increased your muscle fullness about as much as you're going to with that protocol, assuming everything else remains the same.

With insulin, the weight gains which take place in first few weeks are always attributable to an increase in muscle fullness..NOT muscle growth. After fullness has been maxed out, any further lean weight gains caused by insulin will be muscle tissue, but that is a much slower prpocess than increasing muscle fullness, which is why the weight gains slow down so much after the first few weeks. Insulin causes growth in a few ways, such as activating genes directly related to protein synthesis...by indirectly increasing protein synthesis through increased muscular volumization...and by directly increasing protein synthesis through enhanced nutrient transport to the muscles.

If you haven't gained any fullness in the first week from the current program you are following, there is some aspect() of your program which is deficient.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I am going to restrcuture my program and see what happens.

I think humulin r would be best(better than humalog) about 45-60min pre. You have time to supply nutrients pre, during, and post workout with humulin.

On a side note, GPLC is expensive! Are you following Mike's protocol to a t?

They have it on sale at smartpowders right now. 60g for $10

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity