over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

IS CARDIO BEST BEFORE OR AFTER LIFTING?

Geardepot

Guaranteed Sponsor
Registered
Sponsors
Should you do your conditioning, metcon, or cardio work before or after lifting? Many say to do it before because it acts as a warm-up. Others say it interferes with the "money" part of your training: lifting weights.
Who's right? Turns out, the experienced lifters who said to do it AFTER weight training were correct. Completing aerobic endurance exercise before resistance training will negatively impact your ability to perform at your highest potential during the lifting part of your session.
A recent study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that when healthy, resistance-trained men performed aerobic endurance exercise before a resistance training session...
Fewer reps were completed
Average power and velocity of lifts were significantly reduced
Ratings of perceived exertion were greater
Heart rates were higher when compared to the control group

HIIT First Drops Lifting Performance
One of four different treadmill running protocols were used as part of the aerobic endurance exercise portion:
60% of the participant's VO2 reserve for 45 minutes
75% of the participant's VO2 reserve for 20 minutes
90-100% of the participant's VO2 reserve for intervals of 3 minutes (a 1:1 work to rest ratio) for 5 sets
75% of the participant's VO2 reserve at a 6-9% uphill incline for 20 minutes
Researchers found that there were differing degrees of the drop in performance measures across the groups, with the high intensity interval group experiencing the greatest reduction.
This is important because stress consolidation, or completing all of your higher intensity efforts in the same time period, is encouraged as it allows for greater recovery from session to session. But don't make the mistake of performing your high intensity conditioning before you lift.

Weights First
If you're going to complete aerobic endurance exercise in the same workout as a weight training, do the resistance training first. End of discussion.
GD

Reference
Ratamess, Nicholas A. et al. (October 2016). Acute Resistance Exercise Performance Is Negatively Impacted by Prior Aerobic Endurance Exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol. 30 (10).

Should you do your conditioning, metcon, or cardio work before or after lifting? Many say to do it before because it acts as a warm-up. Others say it interferes with the "money" part of your training: lifting weights.

Who's right? Turns out, the experienced lifters who said to do it AFTER weight training were correct. Completing aerobic endurance exercise before resistance training will negatively impact your ability to perform at your highest potential during the lifting part of your session.

A recent study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that when healthy, resistance-trained men performed aerobic endurance exercise before a resistance training session...

Fewer reps were completed

Average power and velocity of lifts were significantly reduced

Ratings of perceived exertion were greater

Heart rates were higher when compared to the control group

HIIT First Drops Lifting Performance

One of four different treadmill running protocols were used as part of the aerobic endurance exercise portion:

60% of the participant's VO2 reserve for 45 minutes

75% of the participant's VO2 reserve for 20 minutes

90-100% of the participant's VO2 reserve for intervals of 3 minutes (a 1:1 work to rest ratio) for 5 sets

75% of the participant's VO2 reserve at a 6-9% uphill incline for 20 minutes

Researchers found that there were differing degrees of the drop in performance measures across the groups, with the high intensity interval group experiencing the greatest reduction.

This is important because stress consolidation, or completing all of your higher intensity efforts in the same time period, is encouraged as it allows for greater recovery from session to session. But don't make the mistake of performing your high intensity conditioning before you lift.

Weights First

If you're going to complete aerobic endurance exercise in the same workout as a weight training, do the resistance training first. End of discussion.

GD

Reference

Ratamess, Nicholas A. et al. (October 2016). Acute Resistance Exercise Performance Is Negatively Impacted by Prior Aerobic Endurance Exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol. 30 (10).
Interesting read. I always go back and question myself after I hit road blocks in progress. I've experimented with fasted cardio, post workout, 10 min warmups, or even AM workouts with PM cardio. I'd prefer the latter, but I often don't have time with two kids.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

Yep, i tell everyone to leave it for after or on the rest days.

Unless it's very very light and it's a warm up for lifting.

I like to do 30 on the treadmill to warm me up for my workout. I don't like stretching so the cardio loosens me up.

Weights first would be basic knowledge, no need to do a study. Weight training (6-15 reps) is going to use the phosphocreatine energy system for short bursts of energy with maximal output. Cardio will burn out your PC reserves then go onto glycolysis and electron transport chain aka aerobic energy around 8-10 min in.

Yeah, cardio at the end. You don't want to burn up any glycogen from the muscle or liver during the cardio. Use that glycogen for intense weight lifting. Better off waiting until after doing weight training to do cardio when you are more likely to burn fat for energy.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostriderTX
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws