over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Liquid Egg Whites

Attachments

• 5A51BECA-68BE-4EE6-98B1-2885A1C2FBD8.jpeg
    5A51BECA-68BE-4EE6-98B1-2885A1C2FBD8.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3
I like to cook the egg sunny side up, leaving the yolk uncooked and the white cooked. I slide them whole into my mouth to preserve the yolk.

I’ve only ever tried the whole egg or pasteurized egg whites raw, never the yolk alone.
That is a good way to cook the eggs, keep the yolk uncooked.

It appears that how long the temperature is held at different temperatures seems to make a difference. But haven't found 1 comprehensive study that does it all. I digest pasteurized eggs very well. But i can't compare that to raw eggs as i haven't eat them that way since the 70's

I have never seen research showing the differences between both pasteurized eggs vs cooked eggs...or egg whites more specifically, comparing their digestion and absorption. Cooked eggs are better than raw eggs from the way the heating promotes refolding of the proteins via hydrogen bonds etc. Pasteurization is fine for both food safety and deactivating avidin, at least most of the research shows this. It will vary between temps and how long they are at those temps. I've seen a few different temps mentioned in research depending on the time they are under heat. Maybe @micro2000 will know more on the exact parameters, as he is a food microbiologist.

I would add 1 big scoop of nesquick powder and drink 6-8oz at a time with NO GI issue, and I have GERD.

Digestive issues related to GERD are more “gastroesophogeal” than bowel. Some of us aren’t necessarily struggling with it going down, it’s the exit that blows. (Pun!)

It just comes down to whether or not the avidin has reached the necessary temperature and time to break down efficiently.

A lack of problems doesn’t indicate “good”. If egg whites aren’t a substantial amount of your protein source in a day, it will be difficult to understand how much or how little of an impact 50% vs 100% absorption makes. You’re still getting something… just very inefficient and expensive.

Digestive issues related to GERD are more “gastroesophogeal” than bowel. Some of us aren’t necessarily struggling with it going down, it’s the exit that blows. (Pun!)

It just comes down to whether or not the avidin has reached the necessary temperature and time to break down efficiently.

A lack of problems doesn’t indicate “good”. If egg whites aren’t a substantial amount of your protein source in a day, it will be difficult to understand how much or how little of an impact 50% vs 100% absorption makes. You’re still getting something… just very inefficient and expensive.
are you saying the ones that come where you pour them out, when cooked, aren't digested well? Or only not digested well if eaten raw? Its hard to tell who is saying what the thread is all over the place, no consensus.

fermented foods damn near cured my gerd, @heavyhitter too also order pancreatin digestive enzymes from amazon for like 15 bucks or the source natural daily enzymes but they're way more expensive, the pancreatin work just as well, kefir everyday, and sauerkraut bites with every meal! I lack protease enzyme i cant digest meat for shit, I am also A+ bloodtype so this is congruent with my bloodtype, try eating more toward your bloodtype bro , not just a fad there is merit to it. I helped phil viz a few time when he was competing with his digestive woes. he's a smart fkn dude.

are you saying the ones that come where you pour them out, when cooked, aren't digested well? Or only not digested well if eaten raw? Its hard to tell who is saying what the thread is all over the place, no consensus.

No. Cooking denatures the avidin, which is needed to make the egg whites absorbable.

The debate here is about raw egg whites, and whether or not pasteurization is enough to denature the avidin. Someone said above that the temperature required is lower than what I posted, but the length of time at that temperature is not necessarily an industry standard.

So when it comes to liquid egg whites, unless you know the companies’s exact method of pasteurization (temp and time spent in that temp), you are guessing as to how much protein you’re really absorbing. You’ll still get some absorption if the avidin isn’t denatured, but it’ll be way less efficient.

Most people are offering up the old “it works for me bro” or “I digest them good bro” comments… but those comments aren’t valid when considering the main focus. They have no way to determine bioavailability.

No. Cooking denatures the avidin, which is needed to make the egg whites absorbable.

The debate here is about raw egg whites, and whether or not pasteurization is enough to denature the avidin. Someone said above that the temperature required is lower than what I posted, but the length of time at that temperature is not necessarily an industry standard.

So when it comes to liquid egg whites, unless you know the companies’s exact method of pasteurization (temp and time spent in that temp), you are guessing as to how much protein you’re really absorbing. You’ll still get some absorption if the avidin isn’t denatured, but it’ll be way less efficient.

Most people are offering up the old “it works for me bro” or “I digest them good bro” comments… but those comments aren’t valid when considering the main focus. They have no way to determine bioavailability.
So the best bet would be if someone does purchase eggwhites then to heat them at 121degrees for 25minutes.

That would ensure the avidin is neutralized.

I would mix my egg whites with hot water in a metal water bottle to drink them.

I don't think that the avidin will have an effect on the absorption of the protein, at least not to any large degree, it will effect biotin, but i've never read anything stating it will make egg whites less absorbable. Heating and pasteurizing will have the largest effect for overall protein absorption. You have to remember that avidin is only a very small trace amount of the entire egg white, at like 0.5% and less. So I believe there are 2 separate issues we are discussing: 1) cooked vs uncooked on the absorption of the protein, and if pasteurization is good enough than further (higher) heating measures; and 2) Cooking avidin to a high enough temp via pasteurization etc. so that it is deactivated, so that biotin absorption can take place. Avidin is only 1 of 9 major proteins in egg whites, with their being a few other constituents in even smaller amounts.

Of the egg white albumen, the proteins fall like this:
Ovalbumin = ~54%
Conalbumin = ~13%
Ovotransferrin = ~12%
Ovomucoid = ~11%
Lysozyme = ~3.5%
Ovomucin = ~1.5% - 3.5%
Avidin = ~0.5%
Ovoglobulins
Ovoinhibitors
etc.

Ok understood sorry if my reading comprehension is poor. I read your posts and googled avidin .

So it appears we want to denature the avidin as it hurts digestibility. So then if we cook raw egg whites (no yolk), we denature the avidin, so they become a quality protein source.

However uncooked eggwhites are not absorbed well because the avidin is not denatured.

Cooked ew = fine
Not cooked = poor quality

Ok understood sorry if my reading comprehension is poor. I read your posts and googled avidin .

So it appears we want to denature the avidin as it hurts digestibility. So then if we cook raw egg whites (no yolk), we denature the avidin, so they become a quality protein source.

However uncooked eggwhites are not absorbed well because the avidin is not denatured.

Cooked ew = fine
Not cooked = poor quality
Unless you agree with the study posted earlier with rats show utilization is the same no matter if they are cooked or not.

I've drank these straight before and I dont remember them being this smooth and tasteless. Glad I gave them a try again as I'm on such a tight budget. No digestion issues either and 5 or so years ago that wasn't the case. I pretend I'm drinking pineapple juice, to think of it, a sugar free flavoring packet would make it even more palatable.

This approach goes for most of our protein consumption. There are sure'r shots like cold filtered whey but, all sources of protein have different levels of bio availability. I wouldn't ideally replace 50+% of my protein with liquid egg whites but I think when you factor in common practices in consumption like cooking and digestibility, it levels the playing field. To the point I don't think having a couple servings of protein from liquid egg whites is anything to analyze to this extent, the outcome is negligible

Unless you agree with the study posted earlier with rats show utilization is the same no matter if they are cooked or not.

Interesting study. I always cook mine because I like solid meals so my main concern was just making sure I'm fine by cooking. I've used them in shakes raw before but prefer a scoop of whey instead just for taste.

Interesting study. I always cook mine because I like solid meals so my main concern was just making sure I'm fine by cooking. I've used them in shakes raw before but prefer a scoop of whey instead just for taste.
When you cook them do they have a weird fishy taste to you?

When you cook them do they have a weird fishy taste to you?
Never that I noticed, but IMO even cooked = gross. I'll add mushrooms, tomatoes, parmasian cheese, 3 different spices make a big omlette don't even notice the eggwhites.

@Big Dave Smith I should note that from my own trial using pasteurized egg whites, like 15 or so years back, I had the same issue where it was causing loose stools. It was the Costco brand...just egg whites and I think salt. After that, and for many years, i always cooked them with a whole egg or two added in. Then, many years later, I think it was when Matt Porter was talking about how he was drinking egg whites, and others too, I did try having them back as a protein drink (pasteurized) in liquid form, and I never had any issues like i did years prior. I'm not sure why, or what changed, but I can relate with what you noted here on the thread. I hardly drink them anymore and just cook them, but I don't seem to have any issues when I do have them as a shake in liquid form. From time to time, I had the same issue with whey isolate off and on, and for the most part, I don't have issues anymore either. Seems it just happens from time to time. I should probably also note that I never drank the pasteurized egg whites plain, I always added them to whey....and at this point, i'm not all that hardcore to experiment either at 47, haha. I drink whey concentrate now with no issues, on top of everything.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131