over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mike Tyson Used His Children’s Urine to Pass Anti-Doping Tests

..or you’ll see a murder. Could go either way.

Meh it’s not that bad

Media overblows the Chicago violence situation

You can go there during the day and be fine; just don’t be an idiot (I feel like I can’t explain this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He never lifted weights pre prison either. That’s the terrifying part.

Teddy Atlas said it best: “When I met Mike, he was 13 years old, 190 lbs, all muscle”

Such a genetically gifted guy; and not just for muscle, but the athleticism, speed and power he packed. Which coupled with Cus D’Mato and Kevin Rooney’s training turned him into the killing machine we saw him as in his prime.

When Cus died and he fired Kevin Rooney and his demons took over; he lost to Buster (who showed up that night; ready to fight). He went to prison, came back and was never the same.

But in that 86-89 time frame, he was a phenom. If I tell someone that one of the scariest guys on the planet is 5’10 218 lbs, they’d laugh. If I show them a picture of Mike; they’d understand lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with all except he was closer to 6 ft (5’11 1/2)

Considering the years and mike being ‘an undersized heavyweight’ I’m sure he dabbed in some weight training prior to prison as his thighs were tree trunks. Cus didn’t want another Floyd Patterson lacking size and power.

Found this online:

"Best Answer: Tyson in the 80's when he was under Kevin Rooney was under a strict exercise regime that he followed working out like an animal!
This was his training regime!
Iron Mike Tyson's Training Regime (in the 1980's)

Up until he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988, his ONLY diet was steak, pasta and fruit juice. How's that for discipline?

Daily Regime (7 days a week):
5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog
6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great workout for those huge legs of his)
10am wake up: eat oatmeal
12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)
2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)
3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)
5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises
7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange i think it was)
8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
then watch TV and then go to bed.

(Before jogging in the morning he did a lot of stretching followed by 10 jumps onto boxes and 10 bursts of sprints, then he went jogging. At 12pm he sparred. At 3pm he did focus mitt work or heavy bag work inside the ring. He warmed up for all ring work with light exercises such as skipping or shadow boxing or speed ball. At 5pm Tyson did 10 quick circuits, each circuit consisting of: 200 sit-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 press-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 shrugs, followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor. What an animal! Tyson said that the shrugs "built his shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck. It should be noted though that Tyson couldn't do any more than 50 sit-ups a day and 50 press-ups a day when he was 13, but gradually increasing the reps each week got him to a higher level over many years, so that he was doing 2000 sit-ups inside 2 hours every day by the time he was 20.)

Mike told Ian Durke (Sky commentator) his above workout regime when he visited England to watch a Frank Bruno fight in March 1987. Durke told Mike that Bruno trained like a bodybuilder and asked Mike about this, but Mike said that floor exercises and natural exercises work better. Mike explained that his punch-power comes from nothing more than heavy bag work "works your strength through the hips" he said, despite doing shrugs with a barbell he said that lifting weights has about as much resemblance to punching as "cheesecake" (contradicting himself though due to doing shrugs). But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge! Also, Cus used to order Tyson to go jog 3 miles with 50lbs on his back because he didn't want Mike growing any taller (because it didn't suit his style)!
He did mostly bodyweight exercises but did use some barbells to do his 500 odd shrugs with lol
Source: http://www.powerliftinguk.com/showthread.php?t=2047 "

He didn't do much weightlifting at all.

No weight lifting until his comback in 95

From an interview https://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/undisputed-truth-mike-tyson-still-knockout

"You had a great physique throughout your career. When you were coming up as a fighter, did you lift weights at all, or were you just boxing?
No way. Only hitting the bag and boxing all the time. I did lift later in my career, when I came back in ’95. I started lifting weights because that’s what everybody was doing. Everybody had strength-and- conditioning guys at that time.

Is there a workout regimen you follow today?
Normally it’s just an hour and a half on the treadmill, 200 Russian twists with a 15-pound medicine ball, and then I do chest exercises. I don’t do heavy weights. I’ll do bench presses with about 100 pounds, a bar, and plates. I just do repetitions."

Found this online:

"Best Answer: Tyson in the 80's when he was under Kevin Rooney was under a strict exercise regime that he followed working out like an animal!
This was his training regime!
Iron Mike Tyson's Training Regime (in the 1980's)

Up until he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988, his ONLY diet was steak, pasta and fruit juice. How's that for discipline?

Daily Regime (7 days a week):
5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog
6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great workout for those huge legs of his)
10am wake up: eat oatmeal
12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)
2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)
3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)
5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises
7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange i think it was)
8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
then watch TV and then go to bed.

(Before jogging in the morning he did a lot of stretching followed by 10 jumps onto boxes and 10 bursts of sprints, then he went jogging. At 12pm he sparred. At 3pm he did focus mitt work or heavy bag work inside the ring. He warmed up for all ring work with light exercises such as skipping or shadow boxing or speed ball. At 5pm Tyson did 10 quick circuits, each circuit consisting of: 200 sit-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 press-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 shrugs, followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor. What an animal! Tyson said that the shrugs "built his shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck. It should be noted though that Tyson couldn't do any more than 50 sit-ups a day and 50 press-ups a day when he was 13, but gradually increasing the reps each week got him to a higher level over many years, so that he was doing 2000 sit-ups inside 2 hours every day by the time he was 20.)

Mike told Ian Durke (Sky commentator) his above workout regime when he visited England to watch a Frank Bruno fight in March 1987. Durke told Mike that Bruno trained like a bodybuilder and asked Mike about this, but Mike said that floor exercises and natural exercises work better. Mike explained that his punch-power comes from nothing more than heavy bag work "works your strength through the hips" he said, despite doing shrugs with a barbell he said that lifting weights has about as much resemblance to punching as "cheesecake" (contradicting himself though due to doing shrugs). But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge! Also, Cus used to order Tyson to go jog 3 miles with 50lbs on his back because he didn't want Mike growing any taller (because it didn't suit his style)!
He did mostly bodyweight exercises but did use some barbells to do his 500 odd shrugs with lol
Source: http://www.powerliftinguk.com/showthread.php?t=2047 "

He didn't do much weightlifting at all.

Nice info. A lot seems pretty on point while other parts seem a little iffy..

Especially What’s in bold. Tyson himself mentions how cus wished Tyson was taller to be more intimidating along with size such as the likes of other feared boxers like foreman 6’4” and sonny Liston 6’1” and ken Norton. Liston would come out to fight in the ring purposely with piled on robes and towels to make him appear bigger than he was to mentally psych opponents out.

Not to mention how important having a long reach is for boxing. With out a long reach you do not have a good jab, and the jab is the most important punch in boxing. Luckily he was taught the peekaboo style. He would have never made it with a more traditional style because of his short limbs.

Last edited:
With out a long reach you do not have a good jab, and the jab is the most important punch in boxing. Luckily he was taught the peekaboo style. He would have never made it with a more traditional style because of his short limbs.

It might have been his success with that tactic that made Cuss say something like that. Tyson never had any issues taking down men that were much taller.

It might have been his success with that tactic that made Cuss say something like that. Tyson never had any issues taking down men that were much taller.

He did have issues with taller men in the ring. James ‘quick’ tillis is one example.
Tillis modeled his style off of Ali and was farcry from Ali. Fight went to decision and was very close. Once riddick bows and Lennox Lewis came into their own Mikes trainers at the time stayed away because of their height & size.

A fighter with length, toughness, endurance & footwork like Holmes and Ali would pose tremendous trouble for Tyson. If they didn’t get ko’d They would’ve won on points.

The first man it shows is Larry Holmes who just came out of retirement in his 40’s because don king offered him millions and Tyson was his first fight back. Which is crazy. A prime Larry would have stuck Tyson all night with the jab and kept distance. Check out Holmes vs Earnie shavers. Shavers is known as the hardest puncher of all time by many boxers. Holmes got dropped by Earnie from the nastiest right ever in boxing. Gets right back up like nothing and wins every round after.

The first man it shows is Larry Holmes who just came out of retirement in his 40’s because don king offered him millions and Tyson was his first fight back. Which is crazy. A prime Larry would have stuck Tyson all night with the jab and kept distance. Check out Holmes vs Earnie shavers. Shavers is known as the hardest puncher of all time by many boxers. Holmes got dropped by Earnie from the nastiest right ever in boxing. Gets right back up like nothing and wins every round after.

Yeah, I remember that about Holmes, he was past his prime in that fight. I do think that the fight would have been closer if Holmes was in his prime, but I still think that Tyson would have won. Tyson vs Holmes, both in their prime, Tyson wins. I would have loved to see Foreman vs Tyson in their primes. All awesome fighters.

Holyfield talking about how hard Tyson and Foreman hit, at 7:40 Apparently Foreman hit harder than any other guy he fought and he was 42 years old when Holyfield fought him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uESHHCgGw

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember that about Holmes, he was past his prime in that fight. I do think that the fight would have been closer if Holmes was in his prime, but I still think that Tyson would have won. Tyson vs Holmes, both in their prime, Tyson wins. I would have loved to see Foreman vs Tyson in their primes. All awesome fighters.

Holyfield talking about how hard Tyson and Foreman hit, at 7:40 Apparently Foreman hit harder than any other guy he fought and he was 42 years old when Holyfield fought him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uESHHCgGw

Holyfield beat Tyson twice. Without rooney (the brains) Tyson wasn’t what he used to be.

Tyson in his prime really didn’t fight any big names but he fought and beat who was around at the time so it isn’t his fault.

I agree, old foreman vs Tyson would’ve been an awesome match. Young foreman would’ve been knocked out by Tyson as he blocked punches with his face and had 0 defense. Check out the ron Lyle vs foreman fight. One of the best slugfests ever.

Holyfield beat Tyson twice. Without rooney (the brains) Tyson wasn’t what he used to be.

Yeah, Tyson was done really by the time Buster Douglas beat him. Holyfield came after that didn't he?

Yeah, Tyson was done really by the time Buster Douglas beat him. Holyfield came after that didn't he?

Yep. Holyfield was in the crowd in Japan for the Tyson buster fight. Holyfield was guaranteed I think 12 million to fight Tyson after if Tyson won. At the time Holyfield just moved up from cruiserweight and was undersized. Tyson would have had a better chance of beefing holy like that imo then later on when he got heavier. The reason buster fought so great that fight and that fight only is because his mother recently died and it lit a fire under him. Instead Holyfield ko’d Buster for the title. Buster was out of shape and went back to his old self. Once Don king’s Boys took over for Tyson he was done. He no longer threw punches in bunches. Didn’t have a calculated fight plan anymore.

Check out the ron Lyle vs foreman fight. One of the best slugfests ever.

thanks for the advice. I watched that and WOW is that a fight! Like something straight out of Hollywood. This clip is just the highlights and in the end you find out the fight only lasted 5 rounds! That's more action than you find in two 15 round fights in today's boxing. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SzlHZH8A0M

The reason buster fought so great that fight and that fight only is because his mother recently died and it lit a fire under him.

Yeah, I remember watching a special on Buster after the fight and it showed an interview with him talking about his mother's death. He was truly inspired. Tyson on the other hand I think was getting complacent and over confident. Every fight I watched of his seemed to end in the first 3 rounds, so many were over before the first round even ended.

I was bowling when I saw Buster knock out Tyson. Probably the most exciting thing I have ever witnessed live in sports. The whole bowling ally got quiet for one brief second and then the noise of surprise and cheers was so loud. I will never forget that night. I cant imagine how it would have felt to be watching that fight live in the audience.

thanks for the advice. I watched that and WOW is that a fight! Like something straight out of Hollywood. This clip is just the highlights and in the end you find out the fight only lasted 5 rounds! That's more action than you find in two 15 round fights in today's boxing. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SzlHZH8A0M

Another great slugfest is Ray Mercer vs Bert cooper. 2 muscle bound inside sluggers. Considering the shape you have to be in order to go 12 rounds. I’d be interested how big these 2 coulda got if they didn’t train for endurance and actually lifted weights and geared everything to bodybuilding. Ray Mercer literally almost took tommy morrison’s Head off in a fight.

Not heavy’s but check out Thomas hearns vs Marvin haggler if you haven’t seen it also. Fight is known as ‘the War’.

Not heavy’s but check out Thomas hearns vs Marvin haggler if you haven’t seen it also. Fight is known as ‘the War’.

Yeah, I watched that one live on tv. Back then they didn't have stupid pay per view and the big fights everyone could see. I think that is the best fight I have ever watched.

Ward vs Gatti was incredible too. I remember watching several of those live on HBO. Great fights all of them.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear