over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Muscles in the workplace(white collar)

I've literally never had a negative comment about my physique in the workplace. I work for a private equity firm that buys cell tower leases...they just make fun of how much I eat. My boss always likes to go "STEAK AND RICE" whenever I walk by and yells it in a super deep manly voice and everyone laughs. Don't act like a dumb meathead and you won't be treated like one

I've literally never had a negative comment about my physique in the workplace. I work for a private equity firm that buys cell tower leases...they just make fun of how much I eat. My boss always likes to go "STEAK AND RICE" whenever I walk by and yells it in a super deep manly voice and everyone laughs. Don't act like a dumb meathead and you won't be treated like one

Exactly

they call me chicken man.

A friend of mine in the real estate industry had to tone down.
He said his clients did not take him seriously when he was bigger.

Most people look at bodybuilders as "dumb" or low IQ

I am talking about the really big guys.

People look at a big bodybuilder and they think "steroids" right away.

Again it all depends on how big you are.

A friend of mine in the real estate industry had to tone down.
He said his clients did not take him seriously when he was bigger.

Most people look at bodybuilders as "dumb" or low IQ

I am talking about the really big guys.

People look at a big bodybuilder and they think "steroids" right away.

Again it all depends on how big you are.

This may offend some ppl here, but honestly most ppl don't give a fuck about how big your muscles are. They look at you and first impression is "he's big" but don't think anything past that or beyond that. I think as bbers since our lives revolve around bbing we think that being big is everything and everyone stares at us and judges us for being big. Maybe if you're a 300lb pro it's different cause you look like a mutant but for most bbers no.

The way you hold and present yourself is more
Important

This may offend some ppl here, but honestly most ppl don't give a fuck about how big your muscles are. They look at you and first impression is "he's big" but don't think anything past that or beyond that. I think as bbers since our lives revolve around bbing we think that being big is everything and everyone stares at us and judges us for being big. Maybe if you're a 300lb pro it's different cause you look like a mutant but for most bbers no.

Important

Thats so damn true.....when someone says "people think bb's are dumb" to me thats just assine....most judge us on the way we carry ourselves...if you stick out your chest and flex your traps, yes , some will look at you like you are an idiot....do you know how many guys I look at and think, "what a fukn tool" bc they strut around the gym like they own it.....an old man once told me a story about how bodybuilders get out of their car and look around to see whos looking at them....at the time I thought, jeesh I'm 300 lbs and this guys doesnt even think I'm hardcore....but now I realize that he just didn't look at me like that because I walk and carry myself like a normal man....I honestly dont even think of myself as a bodybuilder and when others look at me funny, I figure I have a booger hanging out of my nose.

Last edited:

Important

I am not offended by any portion of your statement but I do believe it is patently false. I was recently told (to my face) at a bachelor party that "had I not met you I would've assumed your're a dumb jock" by a rather candid friend of a friend. Had I not already gotten to know him and witnessed how awesome he is, we would've definitely had words.

Stereotypes live and thrive through inherent bias, preconceived notions and a slew of other misguided assumptions.

Example: Fat people are lazy and self indulgent. A statement that is predicated on little more than a persons appearance.

Example: As mentioned above, we have all heard or witnessed the "dumb jock" stereotype. In many cases, bodybuilders aren't far removed from that false notion. The list goes on and on.

In regards to your "our lives revolve around bodybuilding and we think...." comment, I am not a bodybuilder but my musculature and size are mentioned often, very often. Do you believe that there is not even the smallest bit of conjecture our assumption behind the questions I receive? What other type of person our group are we permitted to query based on their appearance without social consequences? It is sometimes good, sometimes bad but it is alive and well.

The only part I agree with, in it's entirety, is the bold highlighted portion. This is what most subcultures in America can't get through their thick heads.

I am not offended by any portion of your statement but I do believe it is patently false. I was recently told (to my face) at a bachelor party that "had I not met you I would've assumed your're a dumb jock" by a rather candid friend of a friend. Had I not already gotten to know him and witnessed how awesome he is, we would've definitely had words.

Stereotypes live and thrive through inherent bias, preconceived notions and a slew of other misguided assumptions.

Example: Fat people are lazy and self indulgent. A statement that is predicated on little more than a persons appearance.

Example: As mentioned above, we have all heard or witnessed the "dumb jock" stereotype. In many cases, bodybuilders aren't far removed from that false notion. The list goes on and on.

In regards to your "our lives revolve around bodybuilding and we think...." comment, I am not a bodybuilder but my musculature and size are mentioned often, very often. Do you believe that there is not even the smallest bit of conjecture our assumption behind the questions I receive? What other type of person our group are we permitted to query based on their appearance without social consequences? It is sometimes good, sometimes bad but it is alive and well.

The only part I agree with, in it's entirety, is the bold highlighted portion. This is what most subcultures in America can't get through their thick heads.

Sure, there are stereotypes definitely I agree wht you there. But, I think we as egotistical bbers overplay them. Here's an example:

You go into a grocery store and a lot of ppl stare at you, what is your first initial thought as to why they are? "Because I'm big."

That's mostly what I'm trying to get at, maybe they're staring at you because of your shirt, or you're in the way, or they're not staring at you at all and because you feel big that day you think everyone is staring at you. Not YOU specifically but bbers in general tend to think this way. I think if you hold yourself a certain way most ppl really don't even notice that you're a bber and will not stereotype yu as such. Shit most of the comments at my work are from other lifters and not non lifting ppl, only lifers will notice if your traps stick out of your shirt or your forearms look vascular that day. That's all I'm sayin

Thats so damn true.....when someone says "people think bb's are dumb" to me thats just assine....most judge us on the way we carry ourselves...if you stick out your chest and flex your traps, yes , some will look at you like you are an idiot....do you know how many guys I look at and think, "what a fukn tool" bc they strut around the gym like they own it.....an old man once told me a story about how bodybuilders get out of their car and look around to see whos looking at them....at the time I thought, jeesh I'm 300 lbs and this guys doesnt even think I'm hardcore....but now I realize that he just didn't look at me like that because I walk and carry myself like a normal man....I honestly dont even think of myself as a bodybuilder and when others look at me funny, I figure I have a booger hanging out of my nose.

This is a perfect example. You hold yourself subconsciously different than most bbers because you don't constantly worry about if you look big in your shirt, or looking around seeing if ppl are admiring your size, probably smiling and looking friendly. Like a normal person not a typical lats flared while staring down every male they see bber. And ppl treat you as such

I don't know about you guys but I am the opposite of a lot of other body builders I have seen, or should I say "wanna be" body builders mean muggin everyone and throwing (light) weights around. I treat others how I would like to be treated and I am happy almost all the time. Don't get me wrong, I get in the zone and you guys know how androgens give you that intensity but you don't have to be a douchebag to people. I like to think of myself as an optimistic person and I back that up by acting that way.

As far as people looking at me when I go places, look if your a muscular and good looking, people are going to look. Whether male of female, if you are good looking, people stare, I don't give a fuck what anyone else says. I am not narcissistic but just stating the facts!

-Baseline

I'm a teacher and my colleagues generally all know that I am a bodybuilder, but this is largely because they have actually asked me about it directly. I never intentionally flaunt it because I am not insecure like that. They don't treat me any differently than the other folks that we work with. This is because like most of us here, while I am very muscular and physically large for my height I am just another guy doing my job like them and I never flaunt my physicality but I do carry it with confidence. Simply being yourself is what determines how the world views you.

Who cares what they think. I don't hide the fact that I'm into bodybuilding. I put a lot of hard work into this, so I never hide it. I'm proud of it. I get stereotyped all of the time, but once people talk to me it goes away. Plus I look way better than all of the other balding far guys that are the same age.

I believe that appearing to be in much better shape than your co workers and boss can lead to resentment which you may not know about until it is too late and you are the one that gets laid off first. I think it happens a lot in day to day life also. I get many guys coming up to me and saying what good shape I'm in and ask about my work outs but I am sure there are even more that just can't stand me because I don't hide the fact that I am in good shape and years older than them. I guess I could dress down but my girlfriend loves to see me in a tight t shirt and suspenders. I think she loves watching the other women reactions. I guess it is the same as asking your girlfriend to dress really hot when you go out. Call me shallow but at least I'm not fat and falling apart like most people I see around my town.

I will be starting a new job soon and I an thinking about how I want to be perceived (at least initially). I'd like them to think I my job is my biggest priority and not my bodybuilding hobby, sex hobby or motorcycle hobby. It would be nice to be able to just say I don't give a shit what they think but I'm still not ready to blow off 150K jobs that easy. I appreciate everyone I get and don't ever want to take them for granted. I can see it if I was just a roughneck on the rig or a CDL truck driver but the jobs I get are not so easy to come by.

I dont consider myself a big guy specially compared to many around this site but I do try and stay lean which I guess makes me look a bit bigger. As far as working in the IT department all I can say is I dont seem to fit in with my stereo typical colleagues and have heard plenty of comments about my size including twice now having been told that Im intimidating co-workers. Considering I keep to myself and hardly talk to anyone Im a bit stumped by it. Most of the time I'll dress to conceal but occasional will wear something more form fitting and that shows some ink. Thats about it.

I believe that appearing to be in much better shape than your co workers and boss can lead to resentment which you may not know about until it is too late and you are the one that gets laid off first. I think it happens a lot in day to day life also. I get many guys coming up to me and saying what good shape I'm in and ask about my work outs but I am sure there are even more that just can't stand me because I don't hide the fact that I am in good shape and years older than them. I guess I could dress down but my girlfriend loves to see me in a tight t shirt and suspenders. I think she loves watching the other women reactions. I guess it is the same as asking your girlfriend to dress really hot when you go out. Call me shallow but at least I'm not fat and falling apart like most people I see around my town.

I will be starting a new job soon and I an thinking about how I want to be perceived (at least initially). I'd like them to think I my job is my biggest priority and not my bodybuilding hobby, sex hobby or motorcycle hobby. It would be nice to be able to just say I don't give a shit what they think but I'm still not ready to blow off 150K jobs that easy. I appreciate everyone I get and don't ever want to take them for granted. I can see it if I was just a roughneck on the rig or a CDL truck driver but the jobs I get are not so easy to come by.

I think the suspenders are a much bigger issue than any amount of muscle will ever be... lol!

:p

I think the only negative I've come across relating to the work place is finding clothes to fit. I also wear a shirt and tie daily, and my company would be more than happy to provide me with branded dress shirts. But the shirts that fit my neck come with a 58" waist opening. I'm scared if the wind picks up it will act like a kite and blow me away. I usually wear a calvin klein extreme slim fit, 18" 36/37 sleeve and have the sides tailored in to look somewhat presentable. Don't even get me started on dress pants.....

I dont consider myself a big guy specially compared to many around this site but I do try and stay lean which I guess makes me look a bit bigger. As far as working in the IT department all I can say is I dont seem to fit in with my stereo typical colleagues and have heard plenty of comments about my size including twice now having been told that Im intimidating co-workers. Considering I keep to myself and hardly talk to anyone Im a bit stumped by it. Most of the time I'll dress to conceal but occasional will wear something more form fitting and that shows some ink. Thats about it.

We had a client call one time and tell us(we are an IT firm), " we really like your services and would like to use your firm, but there is one issue we would like to address. Can you please stop sending the big muscular tan guy over, he is to big and is intimidating our staff." This is from a dude and huge hippo chick. I shit you not.

I too have been told that I intimidate people on the regular. I'm a class clown, joke a lot and smile a ton so I know its not my demeanor. I'm not big at all either 6'2" 210, I have shape and you can tell I work out but I am not intimidating by any means, at least I would believe. I try my best to be friendly, warm and engaging as I would like to be treated. I work in a poor area and most if not all of the peeps in this office are fat fucks so I do stick out. All in all though I realize if you do something to be different there are always gonna be insecure haters and to just accept it and move on. I am sure I have been judged more than once for my fitness as there are comments made about my diet and appearance but I let it roll and try not to think to much into it. I have been reported as racist a couple times as well by the people I'm sure do not like me and this is the funniest because the owner of the company knows I date black, mexican, and asain chicks only(for the most part) and I'm white. The office had a sombrero made for me with "Honorary Mexican" stitched on the front, don't think they'd honor a racist like that. The chicks dig it and ask fitness/diet stuff daily, which I oblige to knowing they are wasting my time.

We do a hobby that most just do not understand and have no desire to. Most people fear what they do not understand and try to belittle it for their personal insecurities so its their shit if they have an issue. To each his own.

I'm absolutely fine with people thinking I'm a dumb jock BEFORE they meet me.

It makes the first conversation so much better when they realize I work in a creative field.

That has not been my experience at all... I have a mortgage branch and many of my clients speak with me on the phone before meeting me or one of my loan officers in person - so they already know how incredibly intelligent I am :D... I also think that if you have a magnetic personality people are drawn to you.. If you take yourself too seriously - it doesn't matter if you are big or little - that just determines whether you are a big douche or a little douche...
I never think about my size when dealing with clients. Maybe that has something to do with it. Its a non-issue to me.. Now - many times after I get to know someone they might ask me about training but I don't believe for a second that it has inhibited my business success in the least.

I get lots of looks in the office, definitely a different look since most people in the office are overweight. People bring it up once in a while joking, even when we are with clients, etc. They make jokes about me being tough or my big arms, etc.

I don't think anyone looks down on it or thinks I'm dumb. They always wonder if I'm a wrestler or something lol

Everyone has interesting hobbies, so bodybuilding is mine is the way I present it.

What do people think of muscular people in a professional setting? Does it make them stereotype you as a meathead in your experience? I got into a debate about this with a friend and think that being fat would be worse. I dont know how having muscles could make you appear dumb.......

I'm an attorney. People think you're not as bright or some kind of meathead if you carry too much size. There is a reason, most big dudes are idiot gym rat meatheads. If you want be to be big be prepared to overcome that association. I have to overcome it all the time. Luckily I'm at a position where they know I can't be a total moron. I know I personally break the stereotype, but even when I see someone who carries a lot of size I think, well, he can't be that smart. Real intelligent people with a lot of quality, lean size are a rarity but they seem to congregate at places like Pro Muscle.

If you're stand out big and you think most people won't make a snap judgment and short change your intelligence, you're kidding yourself. People take abnormally jacked people less seriously. Deal with it. Gotta pay to play.

Another downside, you just look like a fat fuck in suits if you have a lot of size. Lol.

Last edited:

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311