advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

NBC News Goverment Study glucosamine/chondroitin dont work!

dragonfire101

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I found this on the net after I watched the news. I assume this is the one there referring to. I seen plenty that says it does work, so is this the goverment inflence by the BIG PHARMS trying to deter consumers from supplement to prescriptios.

Study: Supplements Fail to Ease Arthritis
By ALICIA CHANGThe Associated Press
Wednesday, February 22, 2006; 5:40 PM
-- Two hot-selling supplements used by millions of Americans are of little help to most people with mild arthritis, concludes a large government study that is part of an effort to scrutinize unproven health remedies.
For most arthritis patients with aching knees, the health food store supplements, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, turned out to be no better than dummy pills. People who had more acute knee pain seemed to show some benefit.

Because of that hint of possible relief and other factors, the study may not settle the debate about these unproven treatments even though it's considered the largest and most scientific test to date.
"We still have a bit of a conundrum," said Dr. Tim McAlindon, a Tufts University rheumatologist who had no role in the research.
Rheumatologist Dr. Daniel Clegg of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, who led the study, suggested people with severe arthritis talk to their doctors about trying the supplements short-term to see if they work.
More than 20 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis. That number is expected to double in the next two decades as baby boomers age. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that affects the knees, hips, back and the small joints in the fingers.
The search for pain relief helped boost worldwide sales of glucosamine and chondroitin to $1.7 billion last year, according to the Nutrition Business Journal, which tracks supplements. The supplements _ made from animal cartilage and shellfish _ have had even wider appeal amid safety concerns over certain painkillers, including the arthritis medicine Vioxx, which was yanked from the market in 2004.
At least 5 million Americans use the two supplements either alone or together, government figures show. President Bush was among the customers for a while because of knee pain, but spokeswoman Dana Perino said Wednesday the president no longer takes the supplements. Bush has replaced running with mountain biking.
The supplements showed no known side effects during the government's six-month study, but the scientists didn't address the safety of longer-term use.
The arthritis research, published in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine, is the third major study in a year to find no overall benefit from some of the most popular nutritional supplements. Recently, research showed the herb saw palmetto didn't reduce symptoms of an enlarged prostate, and last year a study indicated echinacea didn't prevent or treat colds.
Unlike drugs, such supplements are only loosely regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and their makers don't have to prove the products are safe or effective.
The Arthritis Foundation said Wednesday it was recommending people with severe knee pain speak to their doctors about whether combined glucosamine-chondroitin therapy might be a good addition to their overall treatment. Generally, arthritis sufferers are urged to exercise, keep their weight down and try hot and cold therapy, along with painkillers if needed
One person who plans to keep using the supplements is 72-year-old Irene Schwartzburt. She said the remedies relieved the "sticking pain" in her right knee when painkillers failed.
"I want to stay active," said the retired teacher from Plainview, N.Y. "The supplements work for me so why not continue with them?"

In the government study, funded by the National Institutes of Health, 1,583 patients with arthritis knee pain received one of five treatments: either glucosamine or chondroitin, a combination of both, the painkiller Celebrex or dummy pills. Neither the doctors nor patients knew which treatment was given.
After six months, patients filled out a questionnaire to determine how many felt a 20 percent reduction in pain. Researchers found the supplements when taken alone or together were no more effective than dummy pills at pain relief.
Sixty percent who took the dummy medication had reduced pain compared with 64 percent who took glucosamine, 65 percent who took chondroitin and 67 percent who took the combo pills. These differences were so small that they could have occurred by chance alone.
The drug Celebrex did reduce pain _ 70 percent reported improvement _ affirming the study's validity. However, the drug is being studied to see if it's safe for people at risk of heart problems.
Of the 354 people with moderate to severe pain, 79 percent who took both supplements reported relief compared with 54 percent who took the dummy pills and 69 percent who took Celebrex.
In a journal editorial, Dr. Marc Hochberg of the University of Maryland noted the study's limitations: a high dropout rate (20 percent) and a whopping 60 percent who said the dummy pills made them feel better _ double the usual placebo effect. Hochberg has received consulting fees from Pfizer Inc., which makes Celebrex, and Merck & Co., which made Vioxx.
Clegg and 10 other researchers in the study reported receiving fees or grant support from Pfizer or McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals, which makes Tylenol.
The Council for Responsible Nutrition, which represents dietary supplement makers, said it was pleased about the positive findings in the severe arthritis group.
___
On the Net:
Arthritis Foundation: http://www.arthritis.org
New England Journal of Medicine: **broken link removed**
Council for Responsible Nutrition: http://www.crnusa.org

Bump^

I can't tell you how many kodgers with RA that could not close thier hand came into my store and in 30-40 days came back to show me they could fully close thier hand for the first time in years. Their we alot of people who didn't get much out of it either. but it does re-line articular cartilage so if the lack of AC is causing you pain it seems to work for that. Oh btw I had 2 german shepards on 13 the other 11 that loved it, litterally in 4 days my oldest could get up without whimpering, seems that it does something. Remember doctors are also telling us steroids don't work.

Calling BS on this one it has to work some... it has helped my grandparents I bought them some glucosamine/chondrotin and MSM and they noticed a difference in three days and they stopped complaining...

Too strange

How these "government" reports of how all these well known over the counter supplements now have "no effects"! I call BS on this too. Just another way to take it out of the american peoples hands and put it into the Durg companies pockets.
Just wait and see. Pretty soon they'll be debunking the vitamins and such.

I take a lot of this stuff hoping it will help me train more years. The only thing I 100percent sure works is Adequan. Inject that stuff and the pain is GONE....

Well, MY own personal use of Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM combo has allowed me knees & elbows to go from pain 24/7 to normal, so this report's findings are BS. It's dose dependant as well, since I take quite a large dosage of all these.

One of the top otho docs at the sports medicine clinic where I go works on the proball players (football and hockey) in my city. He has his patients use use this stuff. Good enough for me. Who believes what the government says anyway? :confused:

"Sixty percent who took the dummy medication had reduced pain compared with 64 percent who took glucosamine, 65 percent who took chondroitin and 67 percent who took the combo pills. These differences were so small that they could have occurred by chance alone.

The drug Celebrex did reduce pain _ 70 percent reported improvement _ affirming the study's validity."

So the difference in efficacy b/w placebo and glucosamine/chondroitin combo was 7%, and that difference was so small that it could have occurred by chance alone. But, the difference b/w glucosamine/chondroitin and Celebrex was only 3% and somehow this affirms the study's validity. While it is certainly true that the 7% disparity is so small that chance alone could account for it, it is obviously over twice as likely that the 3% disparity which somehow affirms the study could also have been caused by chance. Note that Pfizer, the makers of Celebrex, co-funded this study. So, instead of reporting that neither Celebrex or glucosamine/chondroitin showed significantly increased efficacy over placebo, they report that glucosamine/chondroiton does not work. I heard the news report yesterday. That's exactly what they said. I heard no mention of Celebrex. The truth of the matter is, it has been a rough couple of years for NSAIDS. Pfizer and Merck are heavily invested and they have been taking a bath since Vioxx was pulled. Since then many more have turned to glucosamine/chondroitin, often on the advice of their physician I might add, amid fears that Celebrex may also prove to significantly increase one's risk for MI (heart attack) and CVA (stroke). Not only are Merck and Pfizer having to deal with declining sales and the potential of losing a significant amount of their investment into the NSAID market, but Merck is now having to deal with multi million dollar liabilty claims, with the totals easily climbing well into the billions. Class action suits, their greatest fear, have already been filed. A 1/4 billion dollar judgement has already been levied against them. This is an attempt at damage control. Nothing more.

I add, we all know what is most fucked up about this is the fact that the general public will not be privy to any of this. They hear these supplements do not work on the nightly news, and unless they have had a positive experience with them, simply accept it as truth and fail to investigate any further. So it is an effective approach for Pfizer.

Rex.

Last edited:
found this....

found at least 25 journal articles in this article that shows this supplement may still work for people with osteoarthritis, they may be older but still dont understand how 1 article can outweigh several other articles that state it does and can work?
goo

Overview

Glucosamine, which occurs naturally in the body, plays a key role in the construction of cartilage -- the tough connective tissue that cushions the joints. Glucosamine stimulates the production of glycosaminoglycans (the key structural components of cartilage) as well as the incorporation of sulfur into cartilage. Sulfur is necessary for making and repairing cartilage.

Glucosamine may be effective in treating and possibly slowing the progression of osteoarthritis. This is a type of arthritis caused by continuous wear and tear on the joints leading to inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage. The tissues most affected by osteoarthritis are the weight bearing joints, such as the knees and hips, as well as the joints in the hands.

Studies suggest that glucosamine may be at least as effective as some of the medications frequently used to treat this joint condition, but with fewer gastrointestinal side effects. The medications used to treat osteoarthritis are known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen and piroxicam. NSAIDs may cause stomach upset, cramps, constipation, diarrhea, and in some cases, stomach ulcers.

Glucosamine is often taken with chondroitin, another supplement thought to be effective in treating arthritis. These substances are often combined with manganese as well, a trace metal that is also needed for building cartilage.
Uses

Arthritis
Although not every single study agrees, strong evidence from many well-designed trials, indicate that glucosamine sulfate supplements may be an effective treatment for osteoarthritis -- particularly osteoarthritis of the knee. In general, findings from these studies suggest that glucosamine provides several benefits for people with osteoarthritis including pain reduction (as effective as ibuprofen and other NSAIDs), improved function and mobility, and slowed progression or even prevention of joint destruction when taken for 3 or more years.

In comparison to NSAIDs, glucosamine takes longer to begin working. However, pain control lasts longer with glucosamine and the supplements cause fewer side effects.

Although glucosamine and chondroitin are often administered together for the treatment of osteoarthritis, it is not clear that the combination works better than either supplement alone. Nor is it clear if glucosamine is better than chondroitin or vice versa. Perhaps the most definitive results regarding the effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin for osteoarthritis will be achieved with the ongoing Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. This large-scale study involving over 1,600 people is investigating the effects of glucosamine alone, chondroitin alone, and a combination of both for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Results are expected in 2005.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are two inflammatory bowel diseases that are marked by chronic, recurrent bloody diarrhea. Preliminary evidence suggests that N-acetyl glucosamine oral supplements or enemas may improve symptoms of IBD in children who do not improve from standard medical treatments. Further research is needed, however, to determine whether the substance is safe and effective for the treatment of IBD.
Dietary Sources

There are no food sources of glucosamine. Supplements are derived from either bovine cartilage or chitin, the hard outer shells of shrimp, lobsters, and crabs.
Available Forms

Glucosamine is available as an oral supplement in the following forms:

* Glucosamine sulfate: 500, 750, and 1,000 mg capsules and tablets
* N-acetyl glucosamine: 500 and 750 mg capsules and tablets
* Glucosamine hydrochloride (HCL): 500, 750, and 1,000 mg capsules and tablets
* Glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate combination products (often contain manganese as well)

Glucosamine sulfate is the form used in most research studies. It is believed to be the best source because it provides the sulfur necessary for making and repairing cartilage.

Glucosamine is also available as an injectable form that your physician can insert directly into the arthritic joint. N-acetyl glucosamine is also available as an enema.
How to Take It

Pediatric

There are no known scientific reports on the pediatric use of glucosamine. Therefore, it is not currently recommended for children.

Adult

* 1,500 mg per day (500 mg three times a day) for one to two months

Ongoing supplementation (roughly 1,000 mg per day) may be required to prevent the progression of osteoarthritis or to reduce pain and inflammation associated with the condition.
Precautions

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

The majority of studies indicate that glucosamine is safe, nontoxic, and causes only minor side effects such as stomach upset, heartburn, indigestion, gas, bloating, and diarrhea. If these symptoms occur, glucosamine should be taken with food.

People with peptic ulcers should take glucosamine sulfate with food.

Glucosamine sulfate may contain high amounts of sodium or potassium, so individuals on a restricted diet or taking potassium-sparing diuretics should carefully check the label before taking glucosamine supplements.

People with diabetes should have their blood sugar checked regularly as glucosamine may cause insulin to work less effectively. Some glucosamine supplements are derived from shellfish, so individuals with shellfish allergies should check with a health care professional before taking these supplements.

People who are allergic to sulfur are usually allergic to sulfa drugs or sulfite-containing food additives. Sulfur is an essential nutrient that is naturally present in the body of all individuals. "Sulfur-sensitive" people can safely use glucosamine sulfate.
Possible Interactions

If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use glucosamine or make any adjustments to your medications without first talking to your healthcare provider.

Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
Glucosamine may increase the anti-inflammatory activity of NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. This interaction may result in the need for lower doses of these medications.
Supporting Research

Adams ME. Hype about glucosamine [editorial]. Lancet. 1999;354:353-354.

Chard J. Glucosamine for osteoarthritis: magic, hype, or confusion? It's probably safe-but there's no good evidence that it works [editorial]. BMJ. 2001;322:1439-1440.

da Camara CC, Dowless GV. Glucosamine sulfate for osteoarthritis. Ann Pharmacother. 1998;32:580-587.

Das A, Hammond TA. Efficacy of a combination of FCHG49 glucosamine hydrochloride, TRH122 low molecular weight sodium chondroitin sulfate and manganese ascorbate in the management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000;8(5):343-350.

Deal CL, Moskowitz RW. Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents in osteoarthritis. The role of glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and collagen hydrolysate. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1999;25:379-395.

Delafuente JC. Glucosamine in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2000;26(1):1-11.

Gaby AR. Natural treatments for osteoarthritis. Altern Med Rev. 1999;4(5):330-341.

Gottlieb MS. Conservative management of spinal osteoarthritis with glucosamine sulfate and chiropractic treatment. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1997;20(6):400-414.

Kelly GS. The role of glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfates in the treatment of degenerative joint disease. Alt Med Rev. 1998;3(1):27-39.

Leeb BF, Schweitzer H, Montaq K, Smolen JS. A metaanalysis of chondroitin sulfate in the treatment of osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol. 2000;27:205-211.

Leffler CT, Philippe AF, Leffer SG, Mosure JC, Kim PD. Glucosamine, chondroitin, and manganese ascorbate for degenerative joint disease of the knee or low back: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Mil Med. 1999;164:85-91.

McAlindon T. Glusoamine for osteoarthritis: dawn of a new era? Lancet. 2001;357(9252):247-248.

McAlindon TE, LaValley MP, Gulin JP, Felson DT. Glucosamine and chondroitin for treatment of osteoarthritis: a systematic quality assessment and meta-analysis.
JAMA. 2000;283(11):1469-75.

McCarty MF. Enhanced synovial production of hyaluronic acid may explain rapid clinical response to high-dose glucosamine osteoarthritis. Med Hypothes. 1998;50:507-510.

Murray MT, Pizzorno JE. Glucosamine. In: Pizzorno JE, Murray MT, eds. Textbook of Natural Medicine. Vol 1. 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1999:761-765.

National Institutes of Health. Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial Begins Patient Recruitment. Bethesda, Md: National Institutes of Health, National Center for Complementary and Alternative medicine; December 11, 2000. NIH News Release.

Reginster JY, Deroisy R, Rovati LC, et al. Long-term effects of glucosamine sulphate on osteoarthritis progression: a randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Lancet. 2001;357:251-256.

Rindone JP. Randomized, controlled trial of glucosamine for treating osteoarthritis of the knee. West J Med. 2000;172(2):91-94.

Salvatore S, Heuschkel R, Tomlin S, et al. A pilot study of N-acetyl glucosamine, a nutritional substrate for glycosaminoglycan synthesis, in pediatric chronic inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2000;14:1567-1579.

Shankar RR, Zhu JS, Baron AD. Glucosamine infusion in rats mimics the beta-cell dysfunction of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 1998;47:573-577.

Special Report: A look at glucosamine and chondroitin for easing arthritis pain. Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter. January 2000;17(11):4-5.

Thie NM, Prasad NG, Major PW. Evaluation of glucosamine sulfate compared to ibuprofen for the treatment of temperomandibular joint osteoarthritis: a randomized double blind controlled 3 month clinical trial. J Rheumatol. 2001;28:1347-1355.

Towheed TE, Anastassiades TP. Glucosamine and chondroitin for treating symptoms of osteoarthritis. JAMA. 2000;283(11):1483-1484.

Zupanets IA, Drogovoz SM, Bezdetko NV, Rechkiman IE, Semenov AN. The influence of glucosamine on the antiexudative effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents [in Russian]. Farmakol Toksikol. 1991;54(2)61-63.

Prior to Glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin I had knee pain all of the time (like a bad toothache). I have been using these supplements for the past 6 months and my knees are now completely healed/fine.
I say go with what works and don't believe some govn't related BS study. More propaganda for the big pharm. co's.

Glucosamine / Chondroitin

Just to let everyone know, this stuff works. I started it this week for bad knee pain that I posted about a little while back and trust me, the pain is very much subsided.

1500 mg Glucosamine Sulfate / 1200 mg Chondroitin Sulfate spread out over 3 times a day. It's incredible. Anyone with knee pain should use it, and probably for other joint pains as well.

of course they dont work.. that is until the pharm companies and paid off gov officials start to make them "prescription only".. then mysteriously, they will have numerous studies to back up their beneficial claims..:rolleyes: bastards..:mad:

Yep, they don't work, but Adequan does. :rolleyes:

notice in the first line that the DR talking to the news crew wasnt even involved in the study.. hahahaha

and i know if i take it, after two weeks... minimal pain...

i stop talking it... i hurt like a mofo... go back on.. two weeks later.. POOF! magic.. the pain goes down...

they're just trying to push Rx drugs...

The Man.. the legal pusher :rolleyes:

What a load of BS, I cannot be without them now. Used to have loads of problems with my joints but have pretty much none now!

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear