over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need Some Serious Advice On Increasing My Lifts

How are these people giving me any sort of advice? The guy above didn't even know how to calculate macronutrients. He's off by 150g carbs and like 100g on fat. That's 1500 calories he's completely missing and saying my diet sucks? Dude your nutrition knowledge sucks. Plain and simple.

It doesn't matter whether his calculations are off or not. You aren't eating enough to continue to grow. Plain and simple. Just because you went from 135-170 when you started lifting doesn't mean you can continue doing the same thing and expect to keep growing.

The choice of foods you're eating are not the problem, they actually look very good. But you need to focus on increasing the amounts as well as learning more about nutrient timing.

if my carb count was off my bad, i wasn't counting your gatorade either... i still don't see how you are seeing 330 carbs

a banana is 25 carbs for breakfast

95g for lunch

107g for dinner

25g dinner

I'm still seeing 252g carbs ( even counting the gatorade)
where are you getting 330?

And where are you getting ~40 extra g of protein as well?
4 eggs- 24g
9 oz ground beef- 65g
9oz chicken- ~60g
20 oz milk- 20g
scoop protein- 25g

am i missing something?

34fid52.png

How are these people giving me any sort of advice? The guy above didn't even know how to calculate macronutrients. He's off by 150g carbs and like 100g on fat. That's 1500 calories he's completely missing and saying my diet sucks? Dude your nutrition knowledge sucks. Plain and simple.

I'm trying to do math off top of my head while on my cell while i have my 3 year old at the park bc some new kid is complaining he lifts like a girl......i wasn't counting your little gatorades as your carbs... i tried to help and you missed the whole point of what i was saying.. actually i said you need to up your macros, not that your diet sucked.... And #s can vary too, rice cooked / uncooked, small banana vs large banana, 95/5 beef vs 70/30 ;)

the fact of the matter is whatever your eating, up them...

All good buddy, good luck to you...

Last edited:
I dont think you guys understand my question. My main concern is to why my strength is not increasing and why my lifts were basically better as a pure novice than they are now. I was squatting 225x5 when i had been lifting for 6 months. Now I can't even squat 185x5 even if I tried AND i'm 35 lbs heavier. Makes no sense. My strength has decreased relative to my gain in mass. That defies science.

Last edited:
What everybody on here is saying should make simple sense in your head. IF your eating ENOUGH calories, why aren't you growing? Is there a gains fairy that's coming to your house at night, and taking away your precious muscle gains?

The laws of thermodynamics don't change in your case kid, up your calories, and track your macros to see at what point you start gaining weight. Then progressively increase that with weights you lift in the gym, and you'll get bigger.

What everybody on here is saying should make simple sense in your head. IF your eating ENOUGH calories, why aren't you growing? Is there a gains fairy that's coming to your house at night, and taking away your precious muscle gains?

The laws of thermodynamics don't change in your case kid, up your calories, and track your macros to see at what point you start gaining weight. Then progressively increase that with weights you lift in the gym, and you'll get bigger.

This is my problem and why I made this post. My strength has steadily decreased over the past 2 years despite putting on mass. Sure my bench increased by 30 lbs, but my weight also increased by 30 lbs. I have been using the same weight on lat pulldowns (135 lbs) for 2 years. If I try to do lower reps(say 5-8, instead of 8-12) with like 150 one week, I feel overtrained the next week on back day, and get even fewer reps with 150. If I stay in the 8-12 range with 135 lbs, I might be able to get an extra rep on a set the next week, but usually it's always about the same(12 reps first set, 10 reps second set, 8 reps third set, week after week after week). I can never add reps or poundage without it affecting my workout the next week. I think I overtrain far too easy and it affects my CNS greatly, in turn reducing my strength, which is why I think I have a medical problem. The harder I push in the gym, the weaker I get progressively. I am not losing weight, so it's not a diet issue. I probably put on about a pound a month of mass.

So essentially, I'm either losing strength or maintaing my strength, while either gaining weight or maintaining my weight.

Last edited:
That sounds like a medical problem. Your body is essentially trained to adapt to training, and for newbies not training with heavy poundages, your body should recover super fast after a workout.

Go to your doctor (granted he's competent), and explain to him your situation. If your nervous system can't recover from one back workout after a week when training with beginner poundages; there might be an issue.

Also; gaining a pound a month is terrible for newbie gains. Up your calories, and see how your body recovers. You should be gaining at least 1-2 lbs per week as a newbie.

I dont think you guys understand my question. My main concern is to why my strength is not increasing and why my lifts were basically better as a pure novice than they are now. I was squatting 225x5 when i had been lifting for 6 months. Now I can't even squat 185x5 even if I tried AND i'm 35 lbs heavier. Makes no sense. My strength has decreased relative to my gain in mass. That defies science.

EAT MORE... you were small... you got bigger... did you increase your intake accordingly? understand that it doesn't matter what a calculator says your maint cals are, the human body is not so exact.

if you were 150 and you put on 30lbs of muscle your body now needs a higher caloric intake. now some calculator might tell you that you only need 200 more cals or whatever, but in reality maybe your ass needs 600. so let's say your body with it's new muscle mass is trying to lift heavy ass weight but you're feeding it slightly below maintenance, either your performance or your body composition will suffer.

EAT more. If you are on a low carb diet make sure your healthy fats are high enough. Otherwise just make sure you are getting enough carbs in.

If none of the above works out, you might just be slack jawed phaggot.

I would put money on too low cals OR too low fats. do you know the effect healthy fats have on your hormones? (pronounced whore moans)

Aside from diet and training since it's been covered, have you ever given your body and CNS time off? If not, there lies the problem. If your CNS is fried, you will start getting weaker.

when i saw your diet and training it was quite evident that was the problem, i didn't explain in detail because it would take too long but just to give some notes on your training...

you're complaining about getting lower bench/deadlift/squat strength...

1) you only bench 3 sets a week without any other pressing chest movements
2) you don't have deadlifts even in your training?

i think the squat is not going up just to lower back/core strength lacking, is your leg press strength improving?

the simple math is if you are not gaining weight you need to eat more. and if training and rest are on point or even close you will start gaining more muscle. especially at your age.

Aside from diet and training since it's been covered, have you ever given your body and CNS time off? If not, there lies the problem. If your CNS is fried, you will start getting weaker.

Ya I take off a week from training every 10-12 weeks. It's a temporary fix and I come back stronger the next week I return to the gym, but my strength returns to baseline after a week or two and continues to stay there or gets weaker.

when i saw your diet and training it was quite evident that was the problem, i didn't explain in detail because it would take too long but just to give some notes on your training...

you're complaining about getting lower bench/deadlift/squat strength...

1) you only bench 3 sets a week without any other pressing chest movements
2) you don't have deadlifts even in your training?

i think the squat is not going up just to lower back/core strength lacking, is your leg press strength improving?

My chest fatigues VERY fast. Probably the fastest of any of my body parts. After 3 sets of bench, I am hardly putting up any weight on hammer strength or flyes. I maintain the intensity and lift to failure on the secondary movements, but I have to reduce the weight dramatically to keep in the 8-12 rep range. Like I go from benching 145 for 8-12 for 3 sets to hammer strength machine pressing 55 lbs on each side for 3 sets and it's a struggle to hit 12 reps. And then on cable crossovers, I struggle to do 30 lbs on each arm for 12 reps because my chest is so fatigued. My front delts start taking over.

The reason I don't deadlift is because I just don't like them. No real excuse, I should do them.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure this is completely diet related -- but a little more food certainly won't hurt. My guess is that he needs more recovery. OP, when is the last time you took a week off?

I'm not so sure this is completely diet related -- but a little more food certainly won't hurt. My guess is that he needs more recovery. OP, when is the last time you took a week off?

I'm taking a week off right now actually. That is why I am trying to reassess my training so I can hit it hard again on Monday with a program that might actually work this time around.

Also, I agree with the earlier post of moving to a strength based program. Check out 5/3/1. It has periodic deload weeks programmed in which should be very beneficial to your situation.

come on guys... with the weight he's putting up and being 170lbs... with no increase in load... he needs a rest week? that's crazy. eat more, make sure your hormones are good by eating more fats or even going to get blood work.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
thinman72
NapsGear