.NET or .NOT?

OuchThatHurts

Moderator / Psy, Ret.
Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Whenever I look up .NET descriptions I get some generic bullshit like:

".NET is the Microsoft Web services strategy to connect information, people, systems, and devices through software. Integrated across the Microsoft platform, .NET technology provides the ability to quickly build, deploy, manage, and use connected, security-enhanced solutions with Web services."

What the hell? I've never seen two applications that can integrate if they are made by different companies. In fact, those companies would be stupid to port their apps to something like .NET when they can just produce and another module and sell that too. Most apps are modular now anyway.

Can someone describe to me a scenerio where this .NET would be of value to the AVERAGE person or small business?

Well, let me see if I can make sense of it for ya there OTH. Over the years applications have gotten more and more intense. The problem arose that everyone did not know how to truly code at a low level, close to the kernel. I don't necessarily code under .NET because I do code at a Win32-64 API & kernel level. But when you are coding at this level there is a large room for error and you really have to know what you are doing. For instance code for me to retrieve a username is probably 11 lines including the declaration where in .NET it's one line and no declares. Yup, 11 lines just to retrieve a username. The method that .NET retrieves the information is tried and true also so there is a very limited chance of error on the node unless the install of .NET Framework is corrupt on that box. There have been so many faulty 3rd party programs out there that I have found, even in ultra large environments like Lockheed and Raytheon that have major faults in their code. I am actually helping DelTek/Welcom software fix their problems in their code so that their application will run correctly on a MetaFrame Farm right now. They have made extremely stupid mistakes in this software as far as code is concerned and Lockheed is awaiting my fixes right now for the software they bought off of DelTek before it gets deployed to 24,000+ of their finance people. They coded this application under a seriously outdated programming language called FoxPro. They are now moving to recode their application under .NET because of the shortcomings of Fox and my recommendations. This is how I look at it, most business systems have database coders that are not that bad (because database programming is very easy), and they have knowledge in the field in which the application derived like say "Finance". They get together, code something so that it helps solve problems in the finance world, all the while never really have exceptional low level coders that would make the application stable. This is where .NET comes in. It allows for them to create a solid application that will not error out on 99% of the nodes it runs on. In other words, .NET Framework takes care of all of the hard coding chores and allows third party program designers worry about their logic in just creating the application to do what they need it to do.
As far as applications that integrate, this happens all of the time believe it or not. As a matter of fact I brought up a good example because the DelTek/Welcom applications called Open Plan and Cobra are made to integrate with other applications like Hyperion which is one of the tasks we are also tasked with. Why do they allow integration? Because if you have 2 reputable companies merge applicaitions this cuts down on R&D and allows for an immediate return to the customer. This also usually ends up in a merger of the 2 companies into 1 or 1 buying out the other. You have to understand, some of the applications have millions of lines of code so just creating another add on for your original product may be out of the scope of a company's ability. Merging applications is also beneficial to both developers because if you get a monster company like M$ or Oracle that is developing an all encompasing application to suite all needs, it puts the smaller 2 out of business. As a side note Oracle and M$ have just started getting knee deep in finance systems. As a matter of fact both companies have mentioned that they would like to buy Hyperion or a handful of other large business finance systems. This is sudden death for Hyperion as word like this usually means Hyperion sells its technology or it gets crushed.

Yes! That's exactly the type of bullshit I'm talking about! There was a day when software companies did develop their own software and yes, many used foxpro... later, even visual foxpro (which was prob a m$ creation).

Your example of Hyperion is apt here too because let's just say that M$ decides, "Hell, we'll just use the code anyway, screw 'em." What's Hyperion going to do? Take them to court??? LOL. That would be the death of them as well due to litigation fees and even if they are lucky to use their last penny to get a judge to prevent M$ from using the code, M$ will already have packaged, shipped, and sold so many copies of their program that Hyperion would probably just die anyway. In other words, the day of the small to medium inventor is gone because the only way to get their invention (software, hardware, whatever) to bring them any returns is to sell it to a BIG corp. And if they DO make you an offer, well you better play nice and take it because otherwise, they'll just use it anyway and say "Fine, sue me!" You'll be left with your patent in one hand and your dick in the other.

I was really pissed by the recent Macromedia/Adobe merger. Too VERY innovative companies with unique products. Although I will admit that Adobe's code is just a tad bloated when just the reader is 23Mb's and takes 20 minutes to install. I remember when that reader was less than a meg.

I love technology, hardware and software. My cousin owns a small networking/web design firm. I love to play with the toys and I even have a server in my home with "nodes" (my laptop, two computers, and two printers). I don't need all that crap but in my house, I'm a sysadmin. I'm captain of the boat. Aye captain! I think when I retire, I'll get a job as an admin at some small company and sit in the server room and read magazines all day. Then when someone comes in and says "I can't log in to my computer." I'll say "...and how does that make you feel?" LMAO

OuchThatHurts said:
"I can't log in to my computer." I'll say "...and how does that make you feel?" LMAO

Now that was funny...

We need to do a LAN party over at OTH's house. lol I'll bring the booz.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws