over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

New bodybuilder - Over 40

SDMan

Registered
OK, so I've got this bodybuilding bug, and although I'm not very big, I intend to compete next year. There is a contest that is held in my area every December that I plan to enter. My bodybuilding history goes way back, but I have only been able to stick with a program long enough to see noticeable gains one time, about 12 years ago when I entered the same contest. Seems I need a long range goal to help me stay focused. My current stats:

Age 48
Height 6'2
Weight 205
BF % 20

After nearly a year off for an injury (herniated disk C3-4), followed by a year of random training, I've been back in earnest since May. The last three month, I've been following a program I found online called "hypertrophy-specific." It's very similar to routines I've read here, and according to recent skinfold tests, I've dropped about 7 pounds of fat, and gained about 10 pounds of muscle in the last eight weeks. I doubt the accuracy of the tests, but believe they are correct that this program is working and I'm making progress. According to the mirror and how I feel, there's no question about it.

Now I'm focusing on diet and rest to help max out the gains. Mostly, I'm trying to get my protein intake up, which is at about 250g/day. Most of my protein comes from chicken breast, tuna, some beef, cottage cheese, egg whites, and whey protein powder. Any tips on cheap ways to get more protein are greatly appreciated.

My main questions concern AAS. I look at the winners of natural shows, and I think that in a years time, I could be very competitive against them, especially in the Masters and Novice classes. Unfortunately, I've experimented with prohormones in the last couple years, and did a couple of cycles of AAS as recently as 8 years ago. This disqualifies me from natural competitions for at least a couple more years, and there are very few natural contests in Southern California anyway, so I will probably have to compete in the NPC against some pretty big dudes. Since I am not eligible for natural, I have been considering doing two or three cycles over the next year, build up some mass and compete in the NPC for a while. I don't think I would ever get big enough to be a serious contender, but after that, stay off the AAS long enough to compete in the natural shows.

So my questions are: Is 48 too old to start bodybuilding for competition? Well, I already have the answer: Hell no. I know I can do it. Is 48 too old to start using aid? I think this is going to be a tough question. I have no problems with the moral issues, but are there special health considerations for older bodybuilders? Is there a cycle that one could recommend? Should I forget about AAS and just stay natural? I've still got at least three years before I qualify.

Thanks in advance for your help. This board seems to have the most knowledgeable and supportive group, and hope to be a part of it.

SDMan

I'm only 52 and still gaining on it :p

I believe your body is more sensitive to diet than anything else at my age.

I also found that at my age, it doesn't take alot of gear to be effective.

Perfect time to start

Im 42, and will probly stay on the rest of my life...From 40 its all down hill so why not replace what age takes away... Test, GH, Thyroid...get all your hormones to optim levels and then bump em up during cycles and then back to optimal ranges for your breaks...get blood tests stay healthy,,,

Thanks for the input guys. I'm glad to hear that you think a lot of gear is not necessary, xcelbeyond. That should save me some money! I'd be interested to hear what kind of cycles/dosages might be good. I've read the article by Big A, and like the cycle he recommends. Would you think cutting those dosages would still allow growth, or are they already somewhat minimal?

You didn't specifically say what you took before.

Keep in mind that I've tried some pretty hefty dosages. I'm currently taking between 400-500mg test cyp (EW) 30mg anavar ED, and 25-50mg proviron ED. Also do 1,000iu HCG EW and clomid occaisionally along with a little letrozole (maybe 1.25mg EW).

My first cycle was test c with dbol. Got some good gains with it, but nobody ever told me about pct so at the end of my cycle I pretty much lost everything I gained, along with the drive to workout. Same thing a couple years later when I was using Sten (which I've not seen since) along with an oral whose name I've forgotten. Now I want to do it right, but I have limited resources. I was looking at one of the beginner cycles one of the sponsors has (test/dbol/deca + pct) and thought about cutting out the deca to save money. Any thoughts?

I first want to make sure that my diet is right before I start using gear, otherwise, I think it would be an enormous waste of money. I'm starting to log my food intake and will post it for approval.

Old guys!

I'm another old guy - right behind Xcel LOL!

I'm bigger now than ever before, strength is maybe 15% less than my max powerlifting days (22+ years ago), but than again, I don't train for powerlifting exclusively anymore.

So 48 is NO problem!

Dad said:
I'm another old guy - right behind Xcel LOL!

I'm bigger now than ever before, strength is maybe 15% less than my max powerlifting days (22+ years ago), but than again, I don't train for powerlifting exclusively anymore.

So 48 is NO problem!

Thanks Dad! Just saw your pic and want to be just like you when I grow up LOL!

You want to be better!

SD,

Naw, you want to be way better than me LOL!

Best wishes, and thanks for the kind words!

at 40 yrs old do you really wanna walk around at 300lbs??? Its one thing to look good but to look unreal thats different... So gotta choos your own goals..
At 42 I wanna look better than 90 % but I dont wanna be 300lbs and huge..so you adjust your food intake and dosages of misc compounds of you choice to reach whats comfortable for you.. Do I wanna be bigger than most of the Population ???yes...but at 42 I dont wanna be a monster....just bigger and in better shape that most ....I'm 6'2 so 260 lean would be cool...
not outrages just very above normal :D

cryptasm said:
at 40 yrs old do you really wanna walk around at 300lbs??? Its one thing to look good but to look unreal thats different... So gotta choos your own goals..
At 42 I wanna look better than 90 % but I dont wanna be 300lbs and huge..so you adjust your food intake and dosages of misc compounds of you choice to reach whats comfortable for you.. Do I wanna be bigger than most of the Population ???yes...but at 42 I dont wanna be a monster....just bigger and in better shape that most ....I'm 6'2 so 260 lean would be cool...
not outrages just very above normal :D

260! Dude, I'd be happy with 220 at this point.

At 6'2 you are my heght I'm 240 and no monster..but not small either.. 260 at 6'2 is nice size but not crazy ;) ..
I was 227 this summer and was looking too small (for me atleast)
but to each his own

cryptasm said:
At 6'2 you are my heght I'm 240 and no monster..but not small either.. 260 at 6'2 is nice size but not crazy ;) ..
I was 227 this summer and was looking too small (for me atleast)
but to each his own

Well, I know that I'm pretty lanky and like the rest of us I want to get as big as I can, but I got to have realistic goals. For now that is to add 20-30 pounds of new muscle over the next 11 months (possible?), then start prepping for a contest in December of next year.

After that, I might start looking at 260 myself.

Last edited:
xcelbeyond said:
You didn't specifically say what you took before.

Keep in mind that I've tried some pretty hefty dosages. I'm currently taking between 400-500mg test cyp (EW) 30mg anavar ED, and 25-50mg proviron ED. Also do 1,000iu HCG EW and clomid occaisionally along with a little letrozole (maybe 1.25mg EW).
Hell you are an old fart. whoops what does that make me at 53. First cycle use Test E or Cyp @ 500 mgs split up twice a week. Personally I'd take 10 mgs of nolve ed along with the cycle to prevent gyno. Then make sure you have enough for PCT.
I'm currently on a cycle which consist of 750 Mg of Test Cyp and 150 mgs of Tren EOD.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws