over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

New weekend toy and build project

Ghost..

Registered
I bought a 87 K5 Blazer this past week. It's already in pretty good shape but I wanna re-do the interior and beef up the drivetrain. Let me know what you guys think and ideas you may have for the build.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Ha awesome man! I had one of those 87' K5's also..loved that truck. I ordered 1 ton running gear for it 14 bolt and Dana 60 from Boyce Military Equip. I think prices have gone up since i ordered back in 1999-2000, but got both for about $3000. They rebuild them and install Lockers and your choice of gearing. You could do one of those spray on bedliners for the inside floor and panels if you plan on getting it dirty much- just hose it out. You have a clean looking truck there. What do you plan on using it for primarily?

Hey soma, I was thinking of going with the bedliner for the floor but wasn't sure how well it'd muffle road noise, any idea?

It's not a daily driver but will be driven weekly unless its torn down. I was thinking Dana 60 front and leaving the 12 bolt rear with 4:10s should turn the 37s pretty well.

It's getting new paint next week. Going back to its original grey.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
540 big block on alcohol.... Matching dana 60s

Hey soma, I was thinking of going with the bedliner for the floor but wasn't sure how well it'd muffle road noise, any idea?

It's not a daily driver but will be driven weekly unless its torn down. I was thinking Dana 60 front and leaving the 12 bolt rear with 4:10s should turn the 37s pretty well.

It's getting new paint next week. Going back to its original grey.
**broken link removed**

Love the K5's. If your gonna run 37's, I would go with 4.56 or 4.88.

Love the K5's. If your gonna run 37's, I would go with 4.56 or 4.88.

Thanks for the input cuz. You don't think 4.56s or 4.88s would be to low to be a weekend family driver? I'm not building it to be anything hardcore. I found a Dana 60 front I'm gonna buy if the guy will ship it.

I like it. I have ran big trucks for a long time. Just recently downsized. My 2500 V10 was just too much of a pig on gas.
Looks like it has plenty of potential.
How is the undercarriage, floor boards act? Clean?

I like it. I have ran big trucks for a long time. Just recently downsized. My 2500 V10 was just too much of a pig on gas.
Looks like it has plenty of potential.
How is the undercarriage, floor boards act? Clean?

Clean as she can be. Not a bit of rust underneath. Right now with the worn out 37s it's getting 14mpg on the hwy, which I'm happy with.

Thanks for the input cuz. You don't think 4.56s or 4.88s would be to low to be a weekend family driver? I'm not building it to be anything hardcore. I found a Dana 60 front I'm gonna buy if the guy will ship it.

Not at all. Either would be good.

what's sittin in the engine bay?

what's sittin in the engine bay?

Factory TBI 350 4 bolt main freshly gone thru and rebuilt. It has new double hump heads.

When I bought it, it was 90 degrees outta time and had 4 fouled plugs. I replaced all plugs and wires, timed the engine, put on new high rise edlebrock valve covers and fel-pro gaskets, changed all fluids and filters. Runs like a top and sounds badass. The exhaust is cut off right past the muffler so I gotta run it on out.

It's strong and runs good but I want better throttle response. Any suggestions?

I love K5's.
I have a '71 GMC Jimmy that I am building right now, but I always loved the 'box' bodystyle of the '73+ models too.

You should look into doing a coilover conversion.... great driveability on the street and major articulation while off roading.....

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I love K5's.
I have a '71 GMC Jimmy that I am building right now, but I always loved the 'box' bodystyle of the '73+ models too.

You should look into doing a coilover conversion.... great driveability on the street and major articulation while off roading.....

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Man id love to have a coil over set up. I've actually been looking for a full kit like that. Thanks a lot TNH!!!

Last edited:
Well I've been saving up and buying stuff here and there. So far I've gathered up a crossover steering setup for better steering during extreme articulation, high steer arms, rear shackle flip kit to get rid of lift blocks and eliminate axle wrap. And picking up a dana60 front and 14 bolt full float rear axle tomorrow. Both stuffed with 4:56 gears and Detroit lockers. Gotta set of H1 beadlocks and 37inch BFG tires too. A little time in the shop, and she's ready!!!**broken link removed**

Factory TBI 350 4 bolt main freshly gone thru and rebuilt. It has new double hump heads.

When I bought it, it was 90 degrees outta time and had 4 fouled plugs. I replaced all plugs and wires, timed the engine, put on new high rise edlebrock valve covers and fel-pro gaskets, changed all fluids and filters. Runs like a top and sounds badass. The exhaust is cut off right past the muffler so I gotta run it on out.

It's strong and runs good but I want better throttle response. Any suggestions?

If the timing was off did you check the cam for a depressed (flat spot) lobe(s)? Is it a single bolt hydraulic roller? I'm more familiar with the the LS1. What is your ignition timing?

If you have mixture screws, turn them up a quarter turn. You might be running lean. Also, check for vacuum leaks under the carb.

If all checks out, maybe 3 inch headers and a ported intake will remedy the throttle response issue. Assuming of course your AFR - intake/exhaust /carb set up keeps you in stoich. It could help your MPG as well. DBCs can be unforgiving.

Good luck bro, awesome toy!

If the timing was off did you check the cam for a depressed (flat spot) lobe(s)? Is it a single bolt hydraulic roller? I'm more familiar with the the LS1. What is your ignition timing?

If you have mixture screws, turn them up a quarter turn. You might be running lean. Also, check for vacuum leaks under the carb.

If all checks out, maybe 3 inch headers and a ported intake will remedy the throttle response issue. Assuming of course your AFR - intake/exhaust /carb set up keeps you in stoich. It could help your MPG as well. DBCs can be unforgiving.

Good luck bro, awesome toy!

It was a pretty easy fix man. After a simple look over, I found the throttle linkage was about 3 inches to long. So I only had about 1/3 throttle. Shortened it up, added a throttle body spacer and she runs like a scalded dawg!!! Thanks for the input though my man. I'll be posting pics during the build. I got the 12 bolt H1 beadlocks and new tires for only $800!!!! I'm stoked about those things!!

Taking the top off is convertible enough for me. I was going to replace my 1/2 ton axles with tons but things started adding up quickly. I was sitting at $3k invested in a front Dana 60, rear 14 bolt, crossover steering, high steer arms, 8 lug wheels and new tires. So I sold everything and decided to keep it mild.

With the money back from selling everything i bought another set of tires and wheels. I'm gonna just regear my axles to 410s from the pitiful 308s with a locker in the rear.

Next is the motor. I'm thinking stick with a mildly camed carbureted 350 and using vortec heads. I've seen lots of guys produce good numners with that setup.

Here's how she sits with new shoes on.**broken link removed**

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner