over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No squats or deadlifts?

Pitbull1

Registered
I was just wondering if anyone here is like me and doesn't do any squats or deadlifts because we just naturally have bad form even when coached, still end up having bad form.

Do you feel you are missing anything by not doing any sort of squats or deadlifts? I kinda do and I don't. The leg press, leg curls and leg raises seem to do the same thing

Havnt dead lifted in about a year. I'm very strong on deads but never really seemed to grow off them. Squats im not so good on but they give me good results. Havnt done them in along time though. That said nothing has given me leg growth like the vertical leg press has. My legs are the biggest they've ever been

Last edited:
There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine,
that produces the level of central nervous system activity,
improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and
bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth,
connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and
toughness, and overall systemic conditioning
than the correctly performed full squat.
-Rippetoe

I never used to do squats... It was obvious cuz legs were my weak points....i'm on the taller side and doing them really bothered my lower back... I went and bought myself a Hex bar. It seems like it automatically put me in perfect form...since I started using it my legs have been growing like weeds... actually got a compliment on my wheels which shocked the shit outta me..im pissed I never used one before...Now I love doing em'.

I never used to do squats... It was obvious cuz legs were my weak points....i'm on the taller side and doing them really bothered my lower back... I went and bought myself a Hex bar. It seems like it automatically put me in perfect form...since I started using it my legs have been growing like weeds... actually got a compliment on my wheels which shocked the shit outta me..im pissed I never used one before...Now I love doing em'.
i was a skinny kid growing up. 120lbs out of high school. i squat 2x's week minimum...heavy.

I can't stop my back from rounding, even with no weight and no bar...

Maybe it's because I have a rod going from my hop to my knee and another rod going from same hip to pelvis due to a broken hip in my 20's.

There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine,
that produces the level of central nervous system activity,
improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and
bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth,
connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and
toughness, and overall systemic conditioning
than the correctly performed full squat.
-Rippetoe

To be fair riptoe does look like shit. I think some people can get better leg growth with
leg pressing but squat is benificial for the reasons you state. Just not the be all and end all for bodybuilding some make it out to be. If functional all over strenght is your thing hard to beat though for sure.

Maybe it's because I have a rod going from my hop to my knee and another rod going from same hip to pelvis due to a broken hip in my 20's.

Strange thing is I can't squat for shit with an empty bar or light weight. Once I get to 100kg plus im fine (220 lb) to be honest though in your position I'd just do leg press, your never going to move enough weight for it to be all that benificial. Our try the bar mytreefiddy mentioned. You have access to hack squat? Im assuming body building is your thing

Last edited:
i was a skinny kid growing up. 120lbs out of high school. i squat 2x's week minimum...heavy.

Very decent. How tall are you? At 6 foot I find vertical leg press a lot more benificial to leg growth as I can focus 100% intensity into legs. I got so far with squats and they do keep me lean better than just about anything out there imo. I started doing then again today actually but pre exhausted on leg extensions and leg press. I know crossfit/ free weight is your thing so different goals to me. Do you every do farmers walk as part of crossfit? That is an all over strenght/conditioning exercise I benifit from a lot and it suites me well.

Last edited:

Oh ok. Well yeah that could definitely do it. What about leg presses and rack pulls? Theres always a way to work around complications, dont sweat it.

Very decent. How tall are you? At 6 foot I find vertical leg press a lot more benificial to leg growth as I can focus 100% intensity into legs. I got so far with squats and they do keep me lean better than just about anything out there imo. I started doing then again today actually but pre exhausted on leg extensions and leg press. I know crossfit/ free weight is your thing so different goals to me. Do you every do farmers walk as part of crossfit? That is an all over strenght/conditioning exercise I benifit from a lot and it suites me well.
agreed. when i did nothoing but squat for 13 weeks i stayed LEAN and didnt really lose any upper body size.
yes, ive done tons of farmers walks. its been a while though.

agreed. when i did nothoing but squat for 13 weeks i stayed LEAN and didnt really lose any upper body size.

Did you get much out of the farmers walk in terms of muscle gains. I've never felt anything even remotely like it in my forarms and lower back (in a good way). Seems to really strenghen my lower back and improve posture too. Havnt been in a calorie surplus with them yet though to see the real gains.

Wizim,

What did the rest of your leg routine look like during this time frame? I assume you threw in some hams and calves?

I'll say this, I have a herniated disc and can't squat or deadlift for another year. I notice not only less growth in my legs, but less growth everywhere. To that point, I recently bought a hip belt so I could start doing squats again I've become so frustrated.

That said, form is a concern. I had coaches but still managed to hurt myself. It's a very technical lift and it doesn't take much to put you out once you start going real heavy.

man i hate deadlifts, it feels like my butthole is going to blow out everytime lol, but i love squats, nobody can deny the fact that those 2 lifts are probably the most effective compound movements there are, but i havent done deadlifts in a long time now

Ya! Hack squat machine. Great idea. Your back in on a flat thing, so you cant mess those up, even though I have not tried them. I bet they are just as good as regular quats. Ya, i have access to everything. I am a member of both LA fitness and 24 hour fitness

Would this guy be better off talking to a physical therapist or some type of professional who is experienced with dealing with people in his condition?

Wizim,

What did the rest of your leg routine look like during this time frame? I assume you threw in some hams and calves?
nothing. i squatted 2-3 days/week. nothing else.

I'll say this, I have a herniated disc and can't squat or deadlift for another year. I notice not only less growth in my legs, but less growth everywhere. To that point, I recently bought a hip belt so I could start doing squats again I've become so frustrated.

I agree with you here. I had hardware put in my lower back a couple years ago and had to stop the squats and deadlifts and although I still do leg exercises my physique is just diffrent. Squats are just an awesome exercise that no machine can seem replicate.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear