advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Not trying to turn this into a sushi messageboard but...

Jake LaMotta

Registered
This is my second thread in 2 days abot sushi. Mods, forgive me as I just started eating sushi so I'm a bit excited about it. I promise this will be my last sushi thread for a very long time.

But I have to ask, have any of you had salmon skin sushi? I had it today and it was excellent.

My question is, by just eating the salmon skin will I still be getting the a)protein and b) the healthy fats (omegas)? Or is the majority of the protein and healthy fats contained in the fish?

This is my second thread in 2 days abot sushi. Mods, forgive me as I just started eating sushi so I'm a bit excited about it. I promise this will be my last sushi thread for a very long time.

But I have to ask, have any of you had salmon skin sushi? I had it today and it was excellent.

My question is, by just eating the salmon skin will I still be getting the a)protein and b) the healthy fats (omegas)? Or is the majority of the protein and healthy fats contained in the fish?

Fish contains Omega-3 fatty acids that are one of the "good fats" and are "heart protective". Fish oil does not contain "good cholesterol", however. All animals produce cholesterol and we absorb some of that cholesterol when we eat the meat. This "dietary cholesterol" we eat accounts for a very small amount of the cholesterol floating through our arteries - maybe 1-5% of our total. Our bodies produce what people call "good cholesterol" (HDL) and "bad cholesterol" (LDL), and these are actually lipoproteins. Lipoproteins carry cholesterol around the body - HDL carries cholesterol back to the liver so it can be destroyed or recycled and LDL carries cholesterol away from the liver. Anyway, we do not eat "good" or "bad" cholesterol.

The skin of virtually all animals has more fat deposits than other areas of the body. This does not mean that the skin has more cholesterol, however. Also, you need to stop thinking of fish skin and fish oil as the same as chicken skin and fat. Fish fat (oil) is good for you and chicken fat is bad for you. Fish oil is an unsaturated fat (good fat) and chicken fat is a saturated fat (bad fat). Saturated fats come from all animals except fish and cause our bodies to increase production of cholesterol and LDL. Unsaturated fats from plants (olive oil, canola oil, etc.) and from fish (Omega-3) can decrease Triglycerides and may increase HDL in certain situations.

In summary; fish is good and we do not eat "good" or "bad" cholesterol, but we do eat "good" and "bad" fats. Bad fats can increase our "bad cholesterol" and good fats are good and sometimes increase our "good cholesterol" (but not always in every person - but they are almost always good for us anyway).

I hope this helps.

Try the Ikura(salmon roe). Awesome stuff and quite healthy; my 2 y/o baby girl eats its them plain with a spoon.

On a side note, some places have raw oysters on the half shell in a ponzu sauce with a dab of chili sauce and scallion; I can eat those fuckers all day long.

muscle96ss, did you look into that bottled water brand I asked you about?

Also what about my question about the salmon skins?

Thanks in advance, buddy.

you wont be getting the protein that you would get by eating the actual meat. the skin is almost completely fats...not sure if you have ever seen any of the documentaries on grizzly bears but in the fall when they are trying to gain weight for hibernation they catch the fish, skin it completely, eat only the skin and throw the rest of the fish away.

try fatty tuna also
ive ate the salmon skin pieces b4, a tad chewey for my liking
i went in yest n at 10 tuna, 10 salmon, 10 eel, and a few pcs of cali roll
AYCE buffet post workout 7.50, 3bux sushi chef tip.
like a sore dick, ya cant beat it
frk

hate to burst your bubble....i love sushi too and eat it in ridiculous amounts. but its all farm raised...

hate to burst your bubble....i love sushi too and eat it in ridiculous amounts. but its all farm raised...

I agree but I eat huge amounts of sushi and have for years.
I do eat more of the shellfish than salmon. Does anybody know where
to find a nutritional breakdown of the various types of sushi and sashimi?
do any of you like uni (sea urchin). My son and I really like it but many people
find it unpleasant. I guess that one is an acquired taste.

Fish contains Omega-3 fatty acids that are one of the "good fats" and are "heart protective". Fish oil does not contain "good cholesterol", however. All animals produce cholesterol and we absorb some of that cholesterol when we eat the meat. This "dietary cholesterol" we eat accounts for a very small amount of the cholesterol floating through our arteries - maybe 1-5% of our total. Our bodies produce what people call "good cholesterol" (HDL) and "bad cholesterol" (LDL), and these are actually lipoproteins. Lipoproteins carry cholesterol around the body - HDL carries cholesterol back to the liver so it can be destroyed or recycled and LDL carries cholesterol away from the liver. Anyway, we do not eat "good" or "bad" cholesterol.

The skin of virtually all animals has more fat deposits than other areas of the body. This does not mean that the skin has more cholesterol, however. Also, you need to stop thinking of fish skin and fish oil as the same as chicken skin and fat. Fish fat (oil) is good for you and chicken fat is bad for you. Fish oil is an unsaturated fat (good fat) and chicken fat is a saturated fat (bad fat). Saturated fats come from all animals except fish and cause our bodies to increase production of cholesterol and LDL. Unsaturated fats from plants (olive oil, canola oil, etc.) and from fish (Omega-3) can decrease Triglycerides and may increase HDL in certain situations.

In summary; fish is good and we do not eat "good" or "bad" cholesterol, but we do eat "good" and "bad" fats. Bad fats can increase our "bad cholesterol" and good fats are good and sometimes increase our "good cholesterol" (but not always in every person - but they are almost always good for us anyway).

I hope this helps.

Well Big chef, thanks for the quality information...as always, being that you were the only one to answer his question. Weird:confused::confused::confused:, I guess I will thank you (since the author of this post is not going to) for your wealth of knowledge that you represent on this board!

Well Big chef, thanks for the quality information...as always, being that you were the only one to answer his question. Weird:confused::confused::confused:, I guess I will thank you (since the author of this post is not going to) for your wealth of knowledge that you represent on this board!

Thank you JC. I try my best to give this board info regarding food because it's my passion. Funny in this thread I had the answers and no one thank me? lol I dont expect something in return seriously. I am just happy to contribute and learn and share on here.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131