over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pulldowns to rear

the student

Banned
I've been told, in the past, that these are less for lats and more for rear back. I lack any upper middle back developement and need some input on this. I tried them today and seemed to feel it in this upper/middle are. I'm hoping it wasn't just in my head. Anyone who does, or did these for a while, please give me your input. Thanks.

I've been told, in the past, that these are less for lats and more for rear back.

:confused::confused::confused:

Take a pic and circle the area you are talking about. The we will have a better understanding of what area you are wanting to focus on.

I used to do those all the time and a body builder friend of mine who competes told me that the exercise was antiquated and can be very hard on your joints. I don't know how much stock you want to put in his opinion but I quit doing them haha.

I've been told, in the past, that these are less for lats and more for rear back.

Pulldowns, pullups are they not the same??

Take a pic and circle the area you are talking about. The we will have a better understanding of what area you are wanting to focus on.

Exactly...X2

i never do any exercises behind my head.......to me it seems to be more of an unnatural movement......hard on my joints.......i dont feel ive lacked any development at all keeping movement to the front

If you stick with heavy pulldowns/chinups, barbell rows and deadlifts(either full range or rack), i would be surprised if your back didn't respond. Those movements have always worked for me and any of the partners i have had. OThis is just my opinion and what has worked for me.

FWIW, when the bar is pulled behind your head, your shoulders go into an awkward position, causing "shoulder impingement" which means there's too much pressure built up around your rotator cuff. Same thing goes for behind the head shoulder press.

What you want are high pulley rows to the sternum. This will target middle back. You are refering to the rhomboids in the middle of your back just between shoulder blades. Rowing hits these really well. High pulley rowing will give them a whole new angle. Not close grip pulldowns, high pulley rowing!!

FWIW, when the bar is pulled behind your head, your shoulders go into an awkward position, causing "shoulder impingement" which means there's too much pressure built up around your rotator cuff. Same thing goes for behind the head shoulder press.
This is true, it is not a natural range of motion for shoulders. It will compromise your shoulder capsule and cause rotator stress, esp if you try to bring the bar down low. Work with movements that compliment your natural range and arcs, you will be glad you did.

i never do any exercises behind my head.......to me it seems to be more of an unnatural movement......hard on my joints.......i dont feel ive lacked any development at all keeping movement to the front

I feel the same way.

OP - I did those awhile and it killed my shoulders but worked my lats. Rowing movements would be best for the upper middle back.

I'm getting some rhomboids growth but no real trap developement. I need to stimulate the lower traps especially. Not sure if excercise selection or tweaking an exercise (range of motion etc.) is what I need to adjust. Thanks to everyone for feedback.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws