over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quads. How many exercises do you do?

nfernoo

Banned
I'm not sure why leg day Is such a struggle for people.
I personally do 3 exercises for quads. How many does everyone else do?

Typically, I will do

1. Leg press
  2. Hack squat machine
  3. Leg extensions

I will sometimes add lunges, squats, or a 4th quad exercise, depending on how I feel.

The caveat is that my leg press machine goes extremely heavy, and I do like 6+ sets on there.

All of them! I kid I kid... There isn't a set number. I've gone in and done 2 exercises for quads. My workouts for any bodypart are never the same. Some days I train legs with a quad focus so I might do most of my movements in favor of quads and then only "touch up" hamstrings. Other times I may do the opposite or I keep them equal on both.

I usually do leg presses, leg extensions and some lunges. I don't squat anymore because of sciatic nerve issues. It never fails whenever I used to squat no matter what the weight was I'd always aggrivate the nerve, and on came the pain, so I just can't doing squats anymore.

I'm following a mountaindog program at the moment, so it varies from week to week but for example today's workout was

- prone leg curl (hams obviously)
- squat (quads, hams and glutes)...three feeder sets, four work sets
- leg press (quad dominant due to foot placement)...five work sets
- SLDL (hams)

So...today I guess really only two quad exercises, but they're toast (squats involved chains and a challenge set for anyone who knows what that means) and the leg press had bands on it and super short rest intervals

FWIW I do legs 2x/wk, Mondays and Fridays atm...the second workout (Fri) is typically higher volume (so maybe 3 quad exercises) but focuses on pump and minimizing strain on the joints/tendons

Last edited:
I'm following a mountaindog program at the moment, so it varies from week to week but for example today's workout was

- prone leg curl (hams obviously)
- squat (quads, hams and glutes)...three feeder sets, four work sets
- leg press (quad dominant due to foot placement)...five work sets
- SLDL (hams)

So...today I guess really only two quad exercises, but they're toast (squats involved chains and a challenge set for anyone who knows what that means) and the leg press had bands on it and super short rest intervals

FWIW I do legs 2x/wk, Mondays and Fridays atm...the second workout (Fri) is typically higher volume (so maybe 3 quad exercises) but focuses on pump and minimizing strain on the joints/tendons

Doing the same and loving it.

Today was:

- Laying Leg curls (4 working sets)
- Leg Press (3 working sets)
- Bulgarian Split Squats (3 working sets)
- SLDL (2 working sets)

Low volume at the moment, but it's only the first week (second time doing this program).

usually something like
-long warmups 10 mins bike, and 10 minutes stretches warmups, light leg extensions high reps

leg press
hack squat
leg extensions maybe sometimes supersetted with sissy squats

used to squat and found out i have quite long femures and long back (tall) so I get more out of hacks. That said i have a competitive powerlifter buddy and we squat sometimes

Pretty close to Snow.

Prone hammy curls Heavy and hard as possible and SS with abductor/adductor.

Basically warming up my ham/hips for heavy squats.

warm up sets then ill do low rep working sets with 405-435. Finished with 435x4. PR last week.

Leg press feet 4-6 inches apart - quad dominate knees to chest if im feeling ballsy ill SS with barbell lunges.

Romanian SLDL with dumbbells or BB. We dont have a GHR at my gym but ive found a ghetto set up that works in the squat rack.

If i still have gas ill move on to hack squat 4x8/12

Seated leg curls SS with leg exentions to sets to complete failure

I tend to train them twice weekly (hams the same). Once with an upper body muscle (usually chest) and the other in a full blown leg workout.

I can't squat due to issues with my back but been bringing them back in slowly recently. I have been doing light weight barbell or smith machine squats and kettleball squats on platforms. Otherwise squats would be the primary exercise.

As a result on mixed day it is mainly leg extensions to warm up. Then horizontal leg press and onto 45 degree leg press. I usually finish with heavier leg extensions.

A typical leg day for me would be something like this...

Standing calf raises supersetted with calf presses. 5 sets of each for 20-12 reps. I go up in weight every set and have minimal rest periods.
Donkey calf raises... 5 sets going up in weight using slow reps and holds at the top and bottom of most reps.

Lying leg curls... 4 sets of 20 reps going up in weight.
Standing cable leg curls... 4 sets for each foot for approx 15 reps going up in weight.
Seated leg curls... 4 sets ending with heavy weight and holding each rep.
Stiff leg deadlifts... 4 sets of approx 15 reps going up in weight

Hip Adductor supersetted with hip abductors. 5 sets of 2-15 reps going up to the full weight rack. I go up in weight every set and have minimal rest periods.

Leg extensions... warm up and lots of reps
Horizontal leg press for approx 10-15 sets and 20-10 reps using a variety of foot positions to target different areas.
45 degree leg press.... quad dominant and about 10 sets of 20-10 reps with minimal rest (10 to 5 secs) between sets.
Leg Extensions... 7 sets of 20-12 reps using static holds, slow reps etc. Sometimes I will superset these with sissy squats.

Then I crawl to the shower :D

I should note because of the sheer volume sometimes I even miss out calves on leg day because I pretty much train them every other day in the gym.

usually 2

i hit legs twice a week... usually would be something like-

tuesday-
Leg press: feet normal stance (pyramid up to 3 working sets heavy.. heaviest set first for ~6-9 reps, back down weight a little fail ~10-15, back down weight fail 15-20)
Hack squat: 2 "special sets"... might be a drop set, maybe MTUT, maybe slow negs, etc

friday-
Vsquat: feet close stance ( same rep scheme as leg press tuesday)
angled leg press: feet close stance ( same 2 special sets)

I try to beat my logbook on the 1st exercises 3 sets... the 2nd exercises 2 sets are to hard to logbook track so i just try to keep tension and isolate and tax the targeted muscle hard as possible

Free bar squatting gives me bad hip problems...

One of the leg days ill start with calves then hams then quads, the other ill start calves then quads then hams

I'm not following a mountain dog program specifically, but I do like to read what he puts up and incorporate some of his ideas into my workouts. Something I did 2 weeks ago was I pre-exhausted my quads by doing occlusion work at the beginning on leg extensions. I've always done any kind of BFR post workout, but a buddy of mine gave me some sick and twisted ideas and I'm always up for a good beating on legs lol. Followed that with a pyramid on the leg press. Started with 3 plates and went 10 rep sets all the way til I had 8 plates and then drop setted that each set to failure. That was just the quad portion. After I finished doing a similar protocol for hamstrings I could barely walk but I find doing a huge shocker type workout like that every once and a while can really break through plateaus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. SQUAT

2. FRONT SQUAT

I used to do a tonne. Recently
Gonna old school and just stuck to squats and some leg extensions. No leg exercise hits my quads harder than squats but I have to have legs quite narrow, squatting above parallel and with a high bar squat. Hits quads harder than anything. Olympic shoes increases quad involvement too

Wow I'm surprised to hear you guys leg routine with concentration on Quads.
Perhaps I'm over killing it.

Leg Extension (superset with body wt squats or lunges)
Squats (weight varies, will go up to 585lbs for last set or ATG 315lbs)
Leg press (weight varies, foot postion varies as well)
Hack Machine Squat(may superset with lunges)
Inclined Hack Machine(superset with body wt squats)

then I end with 3 different excersises for hammies and 2 excersises for calves.

Just started kettle bell type squats with wide stance working on my outter sweep.

SLB

I usually do 4-5 exercises for quads.

-Leg extensions
-Hacks
-Squats or Lunges or Front Squats
-Leg Press
-Sissy squats supersetted with leg extensions as a finisher
-Abd/adductors

The end

I don't understand the hate for leg day either... Probably my favorite body part to work. I do presses, extensions, hack for quads. My only complaint about leg day is I wreck them so quickly it's over too fast :) I do pretty short rests so 30-40 mins and I'm out.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws