IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
JAD - Volume 17, Number 2

Scientist Warns that Farmed Fish Could be a Source of Mad Cow Disease
By Jeremy Hance
MongaBay.com, June 17, 2009
Straight to the Source

In a paper that shows just how strange our modern world has become, Robert P. Friedland, neurologist from the University of Louisville, warns that farmed fish could be at risk of Creutzfeldt Jakob disease, or mad cow disease.

Currently, farmed fish are fed cow byproducts-a food source they would never find natural environment (unless society started dumping cow carcasses in oceans or lakes).

Friedland and co-authors raise the issue in the Journal of Alzhemier's Disease and call on food regulators to ban feeding cow bone or meat to farmed fish until it can be determined if the practice of feeding fish cow-parts is safe.

"We have not proven that it's possible for fish to transmit the disease to humans. Still, we believe that out of reasonable caution for public health, the practice of feeding rendered cows to fish should be prohibited," Friedland said. "Fish do very well in the seas without eating cows."

Mad cow disease is a fatal disease that can be contracted by eating parts of a cow infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). After an outbreak in Britain due to infected beef, 163 people died.

"The fact that no cases of Creutzfeldt Jakob disease have been linked to eating farmed fish does not assure that feeding rendered cow parts to fish is safe," warns Friedland. "The incubation period of these diseases may last for decades, which makes the association between feeding practices and infection difficult. Enhanced safeguards need to be put in place to protect the public."

Along with cow, farmed fish are also fed significant amounts of antibiotics to keep them disease-and-parasite free. Farmed fish pose additional health hazards due to the possibility of mercury contamination.

Thanks Shelby.
Once I watched the movie "Food, Inc." I went all natural/organic/wild caught/grass fed when at all possible.

Thats crazy!

The plague spreads...

great post. I think i will not eat farm raised fish any longer

I've noticed alot of stores are carrying less wild caught fish. Im assuming because of the price and the way the economy is right now, people are going for whatever costs less..and alot of people do not know the difference ( benefits) from wild caught fish to farm raised.

That's why I buy fish from the Fish Market and they are fresh straight from the Deep Sea. I never trusted the Farm type!

i say it every thread i can when fish topics come up...if you saw how farmed fish were handled and raised etc you would never touch them again. it is totally disease ridden and disgusting and the whole point of eating fish is the nutritional content which is diminished in farm raised fish. stay away from farm raised tilapia, farm raised shrimp etc etc
i catch my own when i can in summer here and have plenty of access to wild fish at a decent price, there are many sales at stores where wild fish can be as cheap as farm raised

Shelby, thanks for the post. My wife and I enjoy eating fish in our diet. And she buys a lot it for the house. I'll make sure to run this post by her.

Thanks Shelby.
Once I watched the movie "Food, Inc." I went all natural/organic/wild caught/grass fed when at all possible.

yah, since I watche Food Inc, I have been super picky what and where I buy food, I think every body should see that footage..sick stuff :D

And another thing

I've heard that watching DVDs, especially those from non FDA approved production facilities may also be hazardous. Nothing like farm raised salmon and 1cc of Test E from a bath tub in a Chinese slum. It's working for me!

WOW..Between the farm raised fish and shrimp...i have probably taken a few years off my life. I cannot wait until my house sells and i move down to south carolina. I will shrimp and fish, and forget about this farm raised toxic crap.

Wow. I had no idea they fed that stuff to farm fish. Our profit driven, mass production food system is out of control. Cheap food, but at what true cost? Yuck. And I had tilapia last night.

Wow. I had no idea they fed that stuff to farm fish. Our profit driven, mass production food system is out of control. Cheap food, but at what true cost? Yuck. And I had tilapia last night.

Yea...it's bad..I think I mentiond in my article that in some cases they even feed them chicken feces pellets...

JM

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity