over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Small tip for those suffering from high Hematocrit/Hemoglobin

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
One little thing I overlooked was my taking a daily multivitamin. My hemotologist/onoclogist pointed out to me that it has iron in it and that should cut that out. Most mutlis I know of have 18 mg of Iron which is 100% of the RDA. I now take multivitamins made for seniors. For some reason seniors' multis dont have any iron in them and I dont know why.

Iron of course is a building block of hemoglobin. Heme itself means iron. Each hemoglobin molecule I believe has 4 atmos of iron in it.

From WIKI: "In adult humans, the most common hemoglobin type is a tetramer (which contains 4 subunit proteins) called hemoglobin A, consisting of two α and two β subunits non-covalently bound, each made of 141 and 146 amino acid residues, respectively."

My doc has been slowly reducing my iron levels,and that in turn slows down the production of more red blood cells. This will keep down H/H some.

Im not sure how much impact taking out the 18 mg has, but I jsut started doing it.

Nice advice I never even took a second to think about iron consumption.
Good post.

Nice advice I never even took a second to think about iron consumption.
Good post.

Yeah. I asked him if I should cut back on my red meat consumption and he told me not to worry about it, so I guess he feels like it has not so much impact. My cholesterol is always nice and low so no worries there.

So for guys like me, buy old person multivitamins!

Yeah. I asked him if I should cut back on my red meat consumption and he told me not to worry about it, so I guess he feels like it has not so much impact. My cholesterol is always nice and low so no worries there.

So for guys like me, buy old person multivitamins!

That occured to me as well after I posted, so red meat is ok. I only eat it at specific times anyways.

I mentioned this a while back after talking To my Hemotologist. I also take a chewable Gummie Multi with no Iron. I also give blood every 8 weeks

Very good advice.

This is what I use (and I not 50yr old!) :

Kirkland Signature™ Mature Adults 50+ Multi

400 ct for $10. Contains NO IRON.

One little thing I overlooked was my taking a daily multivitamin. My hemotologist/onoclogist pointed out to me that it has iron in it and that should cut that out. Most mutlis I know of have 18 mg of Iron which is 100% of the RDA. I now take multivitamins made for seniors. For some reason seniors' multis dont have any iron in them and I dont know why.

I think the reason senior multi-vitamins don't contain iron is that older folks sometimes have a tendency toward constipation and iron can contribute to that problem.

Word of caution from experience, don't let your Ferritin/Iron stores become too low, this is Just as detrimental too your health as too high of Iron/Ferritin levels.

If your doing routine phlebotomies, from a very well versed Hormonal Physician Dr.Mariano, you lose approximately 250mg of Iron per Letting **broken link removed**

Again from my personal experience and others I have spoke with over a period of time this will greatly impact your Thyroid and Adrenal function Reduced cortisol secretion in patients with i... [Ann Nutr Metab. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI

You lose Iron stores through extensive exercise Anaemia and iron deficiency in athletes. Practica... [Sports Med. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

The effects of physical exercise on the ... [Biol Trace Elem Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

This cascades into several hormonal imbalances.

Maldorf this is great advice without a doubt, although we need to be aware of our Iron and Ferritin status it's a major player in game.

Blood work!

Last edited:
Great advice from both Maldorf and Stewie.

Balance is the key obviously - and perhaps getting blood drawn is enough for those who are relatively healthy.

Maldorf, I know you had a few more complications related to your heart; perhaps for people in your same situation this would be the advice to follow.

vit C helps with the absorbtion of Iron. I was told not to take vit C with an Iron rich meal .
When ascorbic acid binds to the iron, it increases the stability of the compound. Non-heme iron becomes more stable and has increased solubility.

Personally I think the multi from True Nutrition is one of the best and is iron free.

I think the reason senior multi-vitamins don't contain iron is that older folks sometimes have a tendency toward constipation and iron can contribute to that problem.

Yeah, I read that later when I was looking into it because I was curious. I also read where older people dont need as much either and that a normal healthy diet is good enough for most.

Word of caution from experience, don't let your Ferritin/Iron stores become too low, this is Just as detrimental too your health as too high of Iron/Ferritin levels.

If your doing routine phlebotomies, from a very well versed Hormonal Physician Dr.Mariano, you lose approximately 250mg of Iron per Letting **broken link removed**

Again from my personal experience and others I have spoke with over a period of time this will greatly impact your Thyroid and Adrenal function Reduced cortisol secretion in patients with i... [Ann Nutr Metab. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI

You lose Iron stores through extensive exercise Anaemia and iron deficiency in athletes. Practica... [Sports Med. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

The effects of physical exercise on the ... [Biol Trace Elem Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

This cascades into several hormonal imbalances.

Maldorf this is great advice without a doubt, although we need to be aware of our Iron and Ferritin status it's a major player in game.

Blood work!

You definetely want to keep it in a healthy range. My doctor wants mine to be boarderline anemic though. I was worried about the consequences and he said that I would be just fine. I dont think he would be doing this to me if it were that unsafe, especially considering my near heart failure.

Im surprised that the iron is only about 250 mg each time. That is only about 2 weeks of multivitamins, or 2 weeks of the RDA. So it would only take about 2 weeks to recupe that if not considering loss of iron in physiological processes. This probably explains why I have been doing monthly phlebotomies now for almost 4 years and my iron is still in the normal range! My iron used to be high before I started all this. So I have had about 45 phleobotimes in the past 4 years and my iron is still normal.

vit C helps with the absorbtion of Iron. I was told not to take vit C with an Iron rich meal .
When ascorbic acid binds to the iron, it increases the stability of the compound. Non-heme iron becomes more stable and has increased solubility.

Honestly, IMO think that any bodybuilder that eats healthy and is taking steroids should not take extra iron in their supplements. Taking in that extra iron for one isnt needed for health and for two its just going to allow the body to produce that much more hemoglobin which may compound the high hematocrit/hemoglobin problem. Why stoke the fire? Just buy old people's vitamins! I bought mine at Costco. The seniors have the exact same composition as the regulars except the have no iron and they cost more!! SO other than cost these is no reason not to take the seniors. THe cost wasnt that much higher eitehr and wont hurt the wallet.

Thanks Maldorf. I am always concerned at having my numbers get way too
high again. Hadn't even factored in iron in supps. T

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member