over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Snap Fitness - Gym or Library?

BigDM

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I received a call today from one of the manager's at the Snap Fitness I train at. Both my wife and I have been member's for about 1 1/2 years. I lift after work and the occasional weekend 4-5 times a week.

Anyways, most of the member's aren't really hardcore about lifting weights and spend most of their time on treadmills and cardio equipment. There are a handful of guy's who are serious about the iron and I'm one of the them.

Back to the call... He said that he had received a complaint about me from one of the female members. I was doing some squats and on my last couple sets I set the bar down pretty hard on the rack. I was using 275lbs and shooting for 10-12 reps. I'm not the strongest guy on the block and was pretty burnt by the 4th set, so I was more than happy to unload that bar off my shoulders. Apparently, that disturbed her enough to write a complaint.

Well, I told the guy that it wasn't my intention to make anyone feel scared or bothered while working through my routine. But, there are going to be times when I train to failure that may result in some noise. He knows I train hard and hasn't personally had a problem with how I train, but he needed to make me aware of the complaint.

Finally, I told him I would attempt to be a little more quiet and try to avoid being around the opposite sex when I am working hard.

I wanted to suggest that he tell her to pickup some headphones or think about joining a Curves ladies only club, but held back. It's not his fault and he's just being a messenger. I could tell he felt a little awkward talking to me about it.

Has something like this happened to any of you iron warriors out there
and how did you respond? :confused:

Last edited:
YIKES that is weird.

Probably made you feel uncomfortable as well.

I respect that a gym owner has the right to have the type of gym they want.

If they want a toned down club that does NOT attract serious lifters it is not complicated for them at all.

All they have to do is remove any dumbells heavier than 60lbs. That way when a serious lifter looks at a gym thinking about joining and they see the dbs are not heavy they will look somewhere else.

On the other hand if you WANT to attract heavy lifters you had dbs well into the 100s.

So simple but so few gyms get it.

YIKES that is weird.

Probably made you feel uncomfortable as well.

I respect that a gym owner has the right to have the type of gym they want.

If they want a toned down club that does NOT attract serious lifters it is not complicated for them at all.

All they have to do is remove any dumbells heavier than 60lbs. That way when a serious lifter looks at a gym thinking about joining and they see the dbs are not heavy they will look somewhere else.

On the other hand if you WANT to attract heavy lifters you had dbs well into the 100s.

So simple but so few gyms get it.

They have dumbell up to 100lbs, so maybe I will suggest that to them. Or maybe I'll just go back to my old gym. It's a little more of a commute, but I was never hassled about how I workout there. They also had dbs up to at least 150lbs if I recall?

right now Im stuck in a university gym and the lifting area is on the second floor with 'padded floors', whatever the hell that is supposed to be for. Anyway, there are classrooms below and if the weights make any noise then the supervisors come over and bitch me out. They also don't allow plates to make contact with the floor............ at all. Through all those setbacks, I have seen some of the funniest things you would think to be impossible in a gym happen numerous times. Ever seen an obese girl dump 5 lb weights from a bench on the first half rep? Lets just say it would make Darth fucking Vader cry from laughter.

I use snap as an alternate gym. There's one i can walk to from work so if I'm pressed for time I go there and hit dumbells. I think they are all franchises cause the owner showed me all of the stuff he could have put in there, squat rack, leg press, a single fucking calf machine ffs, but chose not to. All we have for legs is a ham curl, leg press, and smith machine that I won't use.

It just depends on how cool the owner is. I've had one complaint for making noise and the owner just put it in the round file.

A similar thing happened to me. I was deadlifting 585lbs (6 plates per side) and forgot to unload the plates and left the gym. I got call from the manager and she tried to make me feel guilty by saying some tiny girl that works there had to unload all the plates.

Now I admit, not unloading that many plates is NOT cool, and I should have done this myself (every other time I did) and I felt horrible some tiny, weak girl had to put them away...

BUT.... DONT FUCKING CALL ME AT MY HOUSE...how about you wait until I get to the gym the next day to tell me?

in your situation, a little grunting should be acceptable at any gym. Don't sweat it.

The problem is a healthclub makes ALL of their money from 40 somethings that sign up and only do cardio or stop coming... something like 70% of the memberships have been inactive for 6months... They dont make any money from guys like you that come and actually use the weights lol...

Snap is another express model gym that really services the what I call In/Out crowd. If there was a complaint they have to address it since most of their bread and butter comes from cardio dwellers. I say don't take it personally as the lady that complained about you is probably the same lady that complains about the guy next to her breathing too heavy while doing cardio so most likely a social outcast in a sense.

The only good gym in my town closed down and it was hardcore.

It is where strong man competitor Kevin Knee started.

People trained hard, & respected eachother. Something very hard to come by nowadays

this is funny because my wife has mentioned to me that the grunting and weights banging from the "lifters" scares her sometimes. I said 'honey, that's what happens when people actually LIFT instead of walking around shooting the shit all day then say they spent two hours in the gym.' she's more of the cardio person, but she understands that guys who are serious about lifting are just that...SERIOUS about lifting. she said she's intimidated sometimes about going back there and getting weights or something for light weight training. i just tell her that there's nothing hotter than a girl doing some weight training in addition to her cardio

I personally stay away from all those types of gyms. They are pushing serious lifters out the door. I travel 20 mins to my gym, but you can scream, grunt, yell, use chalk, smash weights on the floor and no one cares. We got dumbbells up to 180, monolift, and a variety of strongman equipment. Eventually you will be an outcast at snap unfortunately. Like everyone else said they make their money off ppl who sign up and use the gym once in awhile to do cardio. Snap is just like another planet fitness to me.:banghead:

That's weird he would call you. I would think most managers would take the complaint to make her feel good, but never go through on a phone call.

5"10
195lbs

Currently cycle:
Cruising on 250mg Test Cyp/week.

people complain about everything in the gym... I had a complain from another trainer I work with saying that his client(mid 40's female) didnt like that I was nearby her when she was training with him.

personaly im quiet as a mouse when I train but feel if one pays they should beable to lift how they want (within reason) not hurting anyone else etc.but if one should grunt or in your case unload bar who cares.Though it does seem odd to me the 50yr. old guys with untied work boots 15" arms and screaming while squatting 135 or even 405 for that matter.diff. strokes for diff. folks.

I personally stay away from all those types of gyms. They are pushing serious lifters out the door. I travel 20 mins to my gym, but you can scream, grunt, yell, use chalk, smash weights on the floor and no one cares. We got dumbbells up to 180, monolift, and a variety of strongman equipment. Eventually you will be an outcast at snap unfortunately. Like everyone else said they make their money off ppl who sign up and use the gym once in awhile to do cardio. Snap is just like another planet fitness to me.:banghead:

Same for me, except my gym doesn't have strong man equip and our dbs go to 160. I have a gym 3 minutes from my house but I choose to drive 15 minutes to go to a gym where I can do what I want and everyone there is focused on the same thing; lifting weights and getting out.

lots of gyms are headed in this direction.planet fitness just opened here and im sure lots of people will go there.
the kinds of places some of us remember are going away it seems.the culture now doesent have a big problem railing against steroids etc because most people dont exercise at all or understand any of it.
maybe the reason gyms are going this way is so many people are so unfamilar with what a gym really is and what its about in the first place.

Why do you guys accept these gyms? Get the hell out of there! Support gyms that encourage hard word. I'm sick of all these pussy ass gyms taking over the fitness industry.

I gotta give props to LA fitness though... I never had a problem training there and everything is so nice :D

Why do you guys accept these gyms? Get the hell out of there! Support gyms that encourage hard word. I'm sick of all these pussy ass gyms taking over the fitness industry.
Some areas don't have hardcore gyms believe it or not. I live in San Diego County and believe it or not there are only about five gyms (that I have found) that I would actually want to work out at. There are 3 million people here and only 5 "hardcore" gyms.We have about 75 other crappy gyms though! Closest good one is 15 minutes away, the others are 35+ minutes away. Ive seen some people that have to drive an hour to go to a good gym on this board and alot of people aren't willing to do that. If you factor in gas my gym membership is expensive as hell lol. Maybe I should get a hybrid.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws