over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat Question for the experts here

SacToSD

Registered
This isn't a very technical question, but I'm a little concerned about the depth on my squats. First, I've been trying to get lower by using lighter weights, changing my stance, having others tell me if I'm going to parallel or not (and they said I am, but it's impossible to get any lower for me), and I know that I'm not going as low as a lot of people. It's like I don't have the flexibility or something. I even have times where I wake up in the middle of the night screaming "ATG!! ATG!!" Ok, so it's not that bad, but I want to do squats right and not resort to hiring some ass clown (personal trainer). Point being, how do I get lower on my squats? I'm 6'2'' by the way, and I've heard other tall guys complain about squat mechanics quite a bit. Anything you guys recommend? Thanks for reading bros

PS- I have hired personal trainers before, and they're lousy for the most part. They never deliver on what they promise (at my gym, anyways).

This isn't a very technical question, but I'm a little concerned about the depth on my squats. First, I've been trying to get lower by using lighter weights, changing my stance, having others tell me if I'm going to parallel or not (and they said I am, but it's impossible to get any lower for me), and I know that I'm not going as low as a lot of people. It's like I don't have the flexibility or something. I even have times where I wake up in the middle of the night screaming "ATG!! ATG!!" Ok, so it's not that bad, but I want to do squats right and not resort to hiring some ass clown (personal trainer). Point being, how do I get lower on my squats? I'm 6'2'' by the way, and I've heard other tall guys complain about squat mechanics quite a bit. Anything you guys recommend? Thanks for reading bros

PS- I have hired personal trainers before, and they're lousy for the most part. They never deliver on what they promise (at my gym, anyways).

If thats as low as you can go bro,,,what more can you do? Everyones range of motion is different. Do what you can and dont injure yourself.

If thats as low as you can go bro,,,what more can you do? Everyones range of motion is different. Do what you can and dont injure yourself.

Thanks bro. On an unrelated note, I'm sending you an email (I had a question)... which secure email address do you prefer?

Try really stretching out good before you do them, maybe some new stretches or something. Are you able to squat lower normally, with no weight at all?

Try really stretching out good before you do them, maybe some new stretches or something. Are you able to squat lower normally, with no weight at all?

Good question... hold on a sec while I heft my sore ass outta my chair and give it a shot... ok, I had my girlfriend peep me and the lowest I could get without falling on my ass is barely parallel (with no weight). Bogus

Without sounding too much like an a$$, there is no reason you can't get low enough. That's an excuse and before I get flamed for saying that, I have a 667# squat in competition and a few 700#'ers that were too high for the judges. It was my fault for not getting low enough and I'm also in my 40's. Do flexibility work 4-5 times a week.

Without sounding too much like an a$$, there is no reason you can't get low enough. That's an excuse and before I get flamed for saying that, I have a 667# squat in competition and a few 700#'ers that were too high for the judges. It was my fault for not getting low enough and I'm also in my 40's. Do flexibility work 4-5 times a week.

Okay, well how low is low enough? Past parallel? Or at parallel? I think powerlifting rules are pretty stringent about squat depth... what is it, exactly?

Yuo might try a wide stance. At 6' 2" try something around 42 inches (or more) between yuor ankles, feet turned out somewhat, and sit back on yuor hips. Go to YouTube and see if yuo can find some wide stance powerlifting squaters and watch their technique. I'm 5' 7," competed as a powerlifter, and to this day stand with 36+ inches between my ankles, feet turned out somewhat.

You might also want to try some real lifting shoes. These have a slight heel lift that may help with depth as well. I think Inzer makes them, and Safe.

Before someone chimes in that this will give yuo a big butt, let me say bullshit. If yuo're going to have a big butt it's because yuor genetics dictate it.

Last edited:
Yuo might try a wide stance. At 6' 2" try something around 42 inches (or more) between yuor ankles, feet turned out somewhat, and sit back on yuor hips. Go to YouTube and see if yuo can find some wide stance powerlifting squaters and watch their technique. I'm 5' 7," competed as a powerlifter, and to this day stand with 36+ inches between my ankles, feet turned out somewhat.

You might also want to try some real lifting shoes. These have a slight heel lift that may help with depth as well. I think Inzer makes them, and Safe.

Before someone chimes in that this will give yuo a big butt, let me say bullshit. If yuo're going to have a big butt it's because yuor genetics dictate it.

Hmm, I like what I'm hearing, here. Will check out the youboob for wide stance powerlifting squatters, thanks

I'm 6'1" and have long legs. I have to squat just outside shoulder width with feet pointed outwards to get low. Also while you're squatting always think "knees out", it's the only way I can get lower then parellel.

box squat

Bro,

If you are looking to powerlift then you have to break parallel, that is the top of your knee must break a imaginary line that connects at hip joint. Box squating will help you get low, you don't really want to go to far below parallel as it serves no purpose. start squating to a box that you can throw mats over and squat to as low as you can. Have someone check your depth. the mats should be about 1/2'' thick every few weeks remove a mat from the box and squat to it. Your flexablity will improve over time. There are a few places to get boxes and mats. As a lifter you only want the flexablity that is needed for your sport. There is a lot of good info on elite fitness system which is owned by Dave Tate, who trained at West Side Barbell. Hope this helps. We box squat and we squat to 12 to 14'' box which is breaking for our crew.

Bro,

If you are looking to powerlift then you have to break parallel, that is the top of your knee must break a imaginary line that connects at hip joint. Box squating will help you get low, you don't really want to go to far below parallel as it serves no purpose. start squating to a box that you can throw mats over and squat to as low as you can. Have someone check your depth. the mats should be about 1/2'' thick every few weeks remove a mat from the box and squat to it. Your flexablity will improve over time. There are a few places to get boxes and mats. As a lifter you only want the flexablity that is needed for your sport. There is a lot of good info on elite fitness system which is owned by Dave Tate, who trained at West Side Barbell. Hope this helps. We box squat and we squat to 12 to 14'' box which is breaking for our crew.

Another good idea, olded!

Also, you can squat in the power cage and set the pins about where you want to be. I do that too.

Work on hip flexibility though. If you're hitting a sticking point in your depth, I would put money down on the table that this is culprit.

Last edited:
Also, you can squat in the power cage and set the pins about where you want to be. I do that too.

Work on hip flexibility though. If you're hitting a sticking point in your depth, I would put money down on the table that this is culprit.

You right it's either hip flexibilty, or he is laying over when he squats which will bring his hips up and you will never get low.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws