over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Wrestler

slesh

Registered
Watching for the 5th time. Mickey Rourke is just fucking incredible. I’m 37 so my first into to wrestling was when I was around 5. My dad took me to see Macho Man fight Jake the Snake. So I was big into WWF. Then when I was around 13 I got back into it and was all about WCW and NWO. Having said all that whenever I watch The Wrestler I’m always trying to figure out who they are using for inspiration. Im sure it’s an amalgamation of various dudes but who would y’all guess is the main inspiration? He’s supposed to be a good guy fan favorite so at least we know it’s not a heel…

Looked it up it was based on Randy "the Ram" Robinson.... Never heard of him

When I think the The Wrestler I think of this kid I grew up with who did some low level pro wrestling. Apparently his elbow is in the movie believe it or not. Literally his elbow.

I got to watch one live show local to me in late 90's. My best friend's cousin was a B level wrestler and got to wrestle Lex Luggar that night. I will never forget it. I got picked up by my friends. Smoked a joint on the way down. Got to meet the guy before the show and he was huge yet smoked Virginia Slims. I remember him showing us his fake switch blade for some reason. I did such a hard leg workout that day. I was in a row in the stadium and had to pee. As I was shuffling through the row in front of seated people to get out of the row I cramped up and started shoving my ass in people faces yet couldn't help it. Very ridiculous. Anyway, fond memory from high school.

I discovered pro "rasslin" back in 1981 or so. The WWF was always the Disney version of wrestling. They would create unbelievable comical characters. The NWA, AWA and other territories were much more into the kayfabe angle, where everything was "real." I know it was all scripted but for whatever reason, I really liked the era when rasslin was "real." For example, Santanic Kevin Sullivan in Florida scared the shit out of me and I wasn't quite certain he wasn't a devil worshipper in real life. And Bruiser Brody was a scary MF as was Abdullah the Butcher. The last time I enjoyed wrestling was during the nWo era and at the same time the WWE New Generation/Attitude era. And I was sad to see ECW go away. McMahon buying up everything and focusing on children "G" ratings ruined it for me.

Watching for the 5th time. Mickey Rourke is just fucking incredible. I’m 37 so my first into to wrestling was when I was around 5. My dad took me to see Macho Man fight Jake the Snake. So I was big into WWF. Then when I was around 13 I got back into it and was all about WCW and NWO. Having said all that whenever I watch The Wrestler I’m always trying to figure out who they are using for inspiration. Im sure it’s an amalgamation of various dudes but who would y’all guess is the main inspiration? He’s supposed to be a good guy fan favorite so at least we know it’s not a heel…
That was a great program those two had. Ernest Miller was mostly drawing inspiration from The Sheik as I can tell. The Ram seemed to me like a combination of a lot of guys, one of them being Jake Roberts. I believe The Ram had a line in the movie something to the effect of "out there is where I get hurt" meaning that out in the real world is where he really struggles to function and have normal relationships. Jake Roberts said something very very similar in at least one interview.

Mike Miller was in the movie and he talked about it when he was posting over at AFboard.

That was a great program those two had. Ernest Miller was mostly drawing inspiration from The Sheik as I can tell. The Ram seemed to me like a combination of a lot of guys, one of them being Jake Roberts. I believe The Ram had a line in the movie something to the effect of "out there is where I get hurt" meaning that out in the real world is where he really struggles to function and have normal relationships. Jake Roberts said something very very similar in at least one interview.
this is what i read one time, that it was loosely based on jake the snake, but dont know really never dug to deep into it, but man growing up i use to go see it live every few weeks or so, jake the snake, junk yard dog, hacksaw jim duggan, lex luther, sting, abdullah the butcher, the missing link etc etc etc, lol.

Bring back those days of wrestling! Back when they were all huge and jacked and did all the drugs, steroids, etc!

I saw that movie shortly after it came out when i was in my 50's. Sadly enough i could relate to to many of the things in it. I avoid it these days.

Sad to think about someone having to resort to mutilation for a job…. Doesn’t look like fun at all. There’s no shortage of guys/gals doing just that trying to break into the show.

Cage

Sad to think about someone having to resort to mutilation for a job…. Doesn’t look like fun at all. There’s no shortage of guys/gals doing just that trying to break into the show.

Cage
One of the reasons this movie is gut wrenching at times…

One of my fav movies.

I’m a sucker for movies about passion, grit, maybe even obsession. The Wrestler does that for me. I put Whiplash, 14 Peaks and Free Solo in that same category. All fantastic.

We used to get a lot of interesting stories here from a former wrestler and tag team partner of Buff Bagwell

He could still move pretty well when things went down when we were bouncing. RIP Jerry.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws