over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To say something.... or to NOT say something

fireazm

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So today im at the gym, some 60 yr old dude, skinny glasses ect is doing some pulldown of some sort, i dont know wtf he was doing, bending the arms with some forearm shit
looked funny

I didnt say anything to him because I wasnt sure if I would sound like a dick for giving advice or anything or to look like mr know it all which I sure am not

would you all say something like hey, maybe try it this way( in an effort to not come across as mean ect) or do you just let him do his shit

I commend him for being there in the first place but
was curious if I did the right thing and didnt say anything
or if any of you correct total strangers at the gym if their form is totally fuked

More than not, they will be appreciative for the help. At least that has been my experience. In my case i try to be polite and respectfull to put them at ease. I have always looked mean and intimidating, i've been told. Even when i was an underweight adolescent.

Last edited:
Only if they look like they're seriously going to hurt their self or someone else. Otherwise, I probably shake my head and go about my business. Plus, that would mean I would have to remove my ear buds.

I just make sure to smile and crack a few jokes at my own expense when helping people with their form because I get told I look intimidating. Most of the time they'll come back to you if they have any questions in the future and they're always appreciative. I've made some great friends this way now that I think of it.

I used to stop and try to help other trainers but these days there are only a few people at my gym that I would help and advise. There are too many people at my gym that take offense to people trying to help them so I don't even bother

If there's a personal relationship there then maybe but from the sounds of it there isn't. I tend to find many older guys set in their ways and don't want to hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You did nothing wrong. I don't say anything. The women think it's an approach, and the dudes are too "badass" to take advice from anyone. So, only if someone asks or they're a friend who's REALLY screwing up.

I always base that on the impression the person makes on me as a stranger. I try to judge if they will take the advice or not and just go with my gut feeling. I never had any issues and usually lend advice.

Some people don't want you to tell them anything, they enjoy the process of discovery on their own. They want to "figure it out on their own." You can still give advice to these people, but you have to do it in an indirect way. Teaching someone something is about leadership, and leadership is complicated. First you have to motivate someone to WANT to learn. Naturally we assume they want to, but this isn't always the case.

It's such a mess I usually don't give people advice, unless I see something really dangerous, and even then, I have to like them to give them advice.

Unless my safety or another persons safety is severely in jeopardy, I keep my unsolicited information to myself. If I'm asked, then I will gladly help.

If you've got a closed mouth then you don't get fed.

I wouldnt worry bout anyone else in the gym, just worry about your own ass. Who the fuck cares if some wanker use improper form.

Just keep ur hat low, earphones in, and focus on u. Don't b that guy at ur gym. If someone seeks u out for advice, then give it. I just smile and carry on.

I stopped giving advice to folks at the gym unless they approach me and ask unless I see something dangerous

I keep to myself. I would say half take in and listen and the other half either blow you off or give you a dirty look based on personal experience. It's better for people to find out for themselves.

Its better to help people, because believe it or not, most people dont have the knowledge we do:lightbulb: So odds are they will never find out...

good point

ya
you are right
i mean i guess if he was seriously gonna fuk himself up i would say something but i agree, if you approach a woman( not all women) they would think its trying to make a move on them ect. i love watching this old dude he is there everyday
bustin his butt, might not be the best form but hey,... at least he is trying

I defiantly do not say anything unless asked.

On the opposite end of the spectrum...Some guy at the gym lives to help people. He is really fucking annoying. It is uneasy to watch as he basically takes over their whole workout - the people are just uncomfortable enough not to be able to remove themselves from the situation.

Me personally....I would tell the guy to take a hike and leave me the fuck alone.

I'm one to not say anything unless it could lead to an injury. There is one older guy at my gym that comes to mind. He doesn't do anything that will cause injury, but he drops the weight through the negative part of the rep. I want to tell him he's missing the most important part of the rep, but I keep quite.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131