over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

USA weigh in pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Competing on this level and doing well has much to do with 'having paid dues' and aligning yourself, as a competitor, with people who have POWER in the sanctioning body. A head judge is a good friend to have, as that judge may very well suggest to the judging panel, behind closed doors, that a certain competitor or competitors, deserve a "very close look", and with the hierarchy being what it is a person who may not be deserving of good placing may very well be placed higher due to 'who they know, and what they've done'.

It takes a lot for a competitive athlete to bite their tongue and kiss the ass of certain people because that's the only way they have a chance of moving up the competitive ladder. We all know bodybuilders who have deserved to place better than they have, but don't due to the games that are played. Swallowing pride is not easily done, but some people are willing to do what it takes, regardless, to progress in a subjective contest.

A person who recently won their weight class at the state level asked the head judge, who happens to also be a well known NPC and IFBB judge, what he should do to improve. The reply was "Have XXXXXX XXXXX (an IFBB pro and 'trainer of champions who also happens to be 'like a brother' to the judge) do your prep for you (to the tune of $5K), do my show next year, and then we'll make sure you do real well the National stage."

The days of a Kevin Levrone walking out of nowhere to shock the bodybuilding world are gone. Competitiors are now groomed for success, whether deserved or not.

I can see that for sure. I guess hard work, dedication, and commitment to moving up the ranks must also include networking with the right people.

This couldn't have been more clear than with the Teenage Nationals this year. Cody Lewis didn't have the alignment with powerful people like Nick Medici did, with Steve Weinberger, Rich Gaspari, and Kevin English. All Cody seemed to have for a contact was Ed Conners. So in the end, Nick takes the overall to a much larger, better conditioned, more polished Cody. It is what it is I suppose.

Question for the VETS of this sport...

Have you ever notice that Kuclo has grown alot over the past few years...ALOT...he is down right HUGE now...but he seems to always look like he is holding a tad bit of water, never that grainy crazy hard/dry look that Dusty, LaCount has...Why do you think this is...Cause of age factor, the musce is newer ? I mean Huh has put on 30-40lbs of contest weight over the past 3-4 years...and look at him he can get crazy hard (could be harder from the back) but he was hard enough to win the show...All im saying is that Kuclo would win over Huh if he had Huh hardness on stage...

I'm curious about this as well. I suspect it's just one very obvious thing.

I think Steve is still finding the right balance of fullness and crispness. His physique looks better more full (some guys look better when they are fuller, some look better a little less full, but more razor sharp).

I know he's erred on the size of fullness before, and it seems like he's still doing that. He'll get it in time.

Question for the VETS of this sport...

Have you ever notice that Kuclo has grown alot over the past few years...ALOT...he is down right HUGE now...but he seems to always look like he is holding a tad bit of water, never that grainy crazy hard/dry look that Dusty, LaCount has...Why do you think this is...Cause of age factor, the musce is newer ? I mean Huh has put on 30-40lbs of contest weight over the past 3-4 years...and look at him he can get crazy hard (could be harder from the back) but he was hard enough to win the show...All im saying is that Kuclo would win over Huh if he had Huh hardness on stage...

I think both Kucklo and Huh look a bit sloppy. Huh has a bit more of a grainy androgen look in certain bodyparts but he isn't real tight like the other guys you mention. I don't know if Kucklo will ever have a real tight look. I know he's young but some guys just never get that look, for whatever reason. Magnum might say it's the insulin, but I'm not sure it's just that, probably genetic to some degree, as some guys manage to get much harder despite tons of insulin.

Huh got a lot of criticism about being watery from pro commentators on MD.

I think Steve is still finding the right balance of fullness and crispness. His physique looks better more full (some guys look better when they are fuller, some look better a little less full, but more razor sharp).

I know he's erred on the size of fullness before, and it seems like he's still doing that. He'll get it in time.

Bingo.
Look at the 1 week out pics when these guys were severely depleted.
Hard and grainy.
I used to see shots of Ronnie 2 weeks out and he had paper thin skin and looked like an anatomy chart.
Unfortunately the filling out part left him kinda soft looking in comparison by the saturday night finals.

I think...

its just dieting... If a BBer is lifting stupid weights 3 weeks out of a show either they are a freak or they are just not in shape. I think it showed guys like Lacount and Huh a few weeks out from the USA's and they were not throwing around heavy ass weight, they looked tired, drawn out and simply training to get some muscle stimulation. I saw Kuclo's MD shoot and he was a haas, moving around some stupid weight and only a few weeks left to go till USA's. I know its always relative and their are always exceptions. But it when you get to that point in general the heavy ass weights are done, energy levels are pretty depleted and its just a maintenance stage. IMO they guys who are still moving that much weight so close to a show.. are not in show shape and should have dieted longer or just didnt suffer the way they needed to, to get in the shape needed for that show. Many variables who knows which and why...

I think both Kucklo and Huh look a bit sloppy. Huh has a bit more of a grainy androgen look in certain bodyparts but he isn't real tight like the other guys you mention. I don't know if Kucklo will ever have a real tight look. I know he's young but some guys just never get that look, for whatever reason. Magnum might say it's the insulin, but I'm not sure it's just that, probably genetic to some degree, as some guys manage to get much harder despite tons of insulin.

Huh got a lot of criticism about being watery from pro commentators on MD.

No I don't think it's slin. I'm sure its just doing the wrong things at the last moment, carb deplete, carb up, cutting water, diuretics etc., any or all the above.

How much weight do you think HUH will have to add to be a competitive pro if he is 257 now?

a lot of people said Heath shouldn't put on any and he has put about 25-30 solid pounds of contest weight on since his USA win, and hovers around a messy 280 offseason and still has room to grow.

How much weight do you think HUH will have to add to be a competitive pro if he is 257 now?

a lot of people said Heath shouldn't put on any and he has put about 25-30 solid pounds of contest weight on since his USA win, and hovers around a messy 280 offseason and still has room to grow.

Huh can be competitve now, it all boils down to conditiong. Phil took a huge jump in size when he started slamming insulin he's done growing.

What's weird about Huh's physique is how short his lower legs are. :D
Not an ideal skeletal structure, aesthetically. But you can compensate for that with freakiness. Kucklo on the other hand has a great frame.

What's weird about Huh's physique is how short his lower legs are. :D
Not an ideal skeletal structure, aesthetically. But you can compensate for that with freakiness. Kucklo on the other hand has a great frame.

With the right conditioning Kucklo should be able to win any pro qualifier pretty easily.

With the right conditioning Kucklo should be able to win any pro qualifier pretty easily.

Absolutely. He's still young but OTOH time flies and he should fix it as soon as possible since he's so close. No reason half-ass it because you're young. Internal or external circumstances can quickly close the window of opportunity.

Huh can be competitve now, it all boils down to conditiong. Phil took a huge jump in size when he started slamming insulin he's done growing.

Certainly he can.
BUT we all know that to be a TOP pro top 5 or in the running for the ASC and O he's going to have to get more mass based on today's judging.

And let's be honest, HUH's pretty young and genetically gifted and is going to get a lot bigger as that's pretty much everyone's goals being a bodybuilder.

I ask about weight because he's not going to add a score of thickness to his chest and back staying the same weight or with in ten-twenty pounds of competition weight.

He a shape shifting freak who will be about a lean 300-310 lber in the offseason maybe more as his career progresses.

Phil and Kai are 2 examples of success through adding 30-40 lbs in the offseason and then taking it all in.

Huh won by having the least flaws in the SHW class. For me the overall winner was Al Auguste. He had the physique that made me say wow!

Certainly he can.
BUT we all know that to be a TOP pro top 5 or in the running for the ASC and O he's going to have to get more mass based on today's judging.

And let's be honest, HUH's pretty young and genetically gifted and is going to get a lot bigger as that's pretty much everyone's goals being a bodybuilder.

I ask about weight because he's not going to add a score of thickness to his chest and back staying the same weight or with in ten-twenty pounds of competition weight.

He a shape shifting freak who will be about a lean 300-310 lber in the offseason maybe more as his career progresses.

Phil and Kai are 2 examples of success through adding 30-40 lbs in the offseason and then taking it all in.

I haven't seen Phil get any bigger in the last few years. Whether he can or not is debatable, but I'll bet money he won't get any bigger.

Huh on the other hand can certainly go up another 10 to 15, but he needs to come in with more upper body detail, so he needs to be careful.

PHIL narrow structure is not going to low much more growth.. where is it going to go.. takle away the arms and delts and you have..sorry.. average bodyparts.. the chest is narrow and weak.. back is in good shape but again narrow.. standing relaxed shows it alot.. so i agree with magnum in saying i dont think we are going to see any thing dramatic from phil anymore..

PHIL narrow structure is not going to low much more growth.. where is it going to go.. takle away the arms and delts and you have..sorry.. average bodyparts.. the chest is narrow and weak.. back is in good shape but again narrow.. standing relaxed shows it alot.. so i agree with magnum in saying i dont think we are going to see any thing dramatic from phil anymore..

i agree

I would like to hear some other opinions as this was directed to the board as a question in general.

This doesn't have anything to do with Phil right now other than he won the USA in the low 200's and 3 years later he has toppled just about everyone by adding a ton of weight and mass in the off season. Same thing HUH will have to do -HUH may not need 30 lbs of muscle like Heath has put on-but he's gonna need some well placed muscle on the chest and back to be competitive with the top guys.

Phil will never be 270 on stage like Jay, but he has made leaps and bounds in improvements from 2006 to 2007 to 2009 to 2009. Most noticeable in the last year 2009 he put on assload of size on the thighs and back and chest.

Point is people on other boards are talking like HUH can walk in a pro show and take it right now. Don't think so. He's gonna have to follow the same path Phil and Kai took.

This doesn't have anything to do with Phil right now other than he won the USA in the low 200's and 3 years later he has toppled just about everyone by adding a ton of weight and mass in the off season. Same thing HUH will have to do -HUH may not need 30 lbs of muscle like Heath has put on-but he's gonna need some well placed muscle on the chest and back to be competitive with the top guys.

Phil will never be 270 on stage like Jay, but he has made leaps and bounds in improvements from 2006 to 2007 to 2009 to 2009. Most noticeable in the last year 2009 he put on assload of size on the thighs and back and chest.

Point is people on other boards are talking like HUH can walk in a pro show and take it right now. Don't think so. He's gonna have to follow the same path Phil and Kai took.

You asked how much weight would it take for Jason to be competitive as a pro. Personally my answer is none. He can def. be competitve rite now. This doesn't mean he is going to topple any of the top guys and to be honest none of the lower tier pros are ever going to do that. I think Jason can probabley place in the top 6 or 8 at a small pro show for sure.

I remember sitting at the 2007? (I'm pretty sure) Pittsburgh, the show that most of the top pros guest pose at. These guys came down in the audience and Phil Heath happen to be standing rite next to me about a foot away. I was shocked at how small he was. I mean I'm talkin VERY small and smooth. He couldn't have won a top local show. Here was a time that Phil should have been using to gain some needed mass and he was kinda wasting his off season. Then not long after that I remember seeing a vid of him guest posing at a show, I think it was in Sept. He freakin blew up and looked like a balloon. Phil is a freak, but I don't think that he is losing shows because he is not big enough. I think he losing them because he has some genetic flaws and these other guys are just better than him. Phil has not come in as sharp as he could have lately and I hope he doesn't play the size game at the expense of detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear