advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What does it take to become a IFBB Pro judge?

powerlifter1983

Registered
Newbies
Sorry I searched to see if a thread like this has already been made but I couldn’t find any so I’m making this.

What are the official requirements to become a judge at the top IFBB level?

Are we basing their judging ability based on their experience as a former pro bodybuilder, industry media writers like Ron Harris or John Romano, or even top industry photographers like Chris Lund, etc?

How can we be sure the Judge is being ethical if he owns a supplement company that has one of his own sponsored athletes competing at that show where he also is the judge?

I’d love to hear from anyone who has done judging before or knows how the process works?

Not sure they need their pro bodybuilding card. I imagine they work their way up starting with small contest. And who you know. Its a pretty big accomplishment to become a ifbb judge.

Man I think they just pick any scumbag that wants to do it, I been to a.few shows where.the.promoter was competing and wins. They dont pick the young kid who is in great.condition and has great shape, they pick the old guy with one.ab and skin rolls above his shorts, who just looks like a runner you see on the side of the road. I was sitting.behind the.judges one.show.and.i just.said wow looks like you guys were looking for.the least muscled guy in the competition. Local level BB is a god damn joke. I've also heard them ask the other judges if that is gyno, like they don't even have a clue.

Man I think they just pick any scumbag that wants to do it, I been to a.few shows where.the.promoter was competing and wins. They dont pick the young kid who is in great.condition and has great shape, they pick the old guy with one.ab and skin rolls above his shorts, who just looks like a runner you see on the side of the road. I was sitting.behind the.judges one.show.and.i just.said wow looks like you guys were looking for.the least muscled guy in the competition. Local level BB is a god damn joke. I've also heard them ask the other judges if that is gyno, like they don't even have a clue.
Ha true. And the pro level,no telling what they had to do for Weider.

How can we be sure the Judge is being ethical if he owns a supplement company that has one of his own sponsored athletes competing at that show where he also is the judge?

Lol, conflicts of interest are a norm in bodybuilding shows, everyone knows it and accepts this side.

To find out how to become a judge you should send an email to Manion or attend a seminar on posing and that sort of thing.

No need to be a pro BB. But it can help to get your name in the door. and then smooz your way up the ladder from being asked to practice judge at local shows. Then judge them and work you r way up to national shows. Then make the jump to pro shows if you are asked to judge them. Usually takes several years at least to get to that level.

I am an experienced NPC judge and can tell you how to do it:

1. Become a NPC judge. Be very sociable, nice to the NPC folks in your region-- volunteer for all the events, make it clear you'll travel, etc. Make it clear its fun for you.
2. Do a TON of shows and meet all the other judges
3. You'll end up doing NPC shows with IFBB categories.
4. Continue to network. It's just about who you know, and who is the easiest person for them to call who will show up.

I am an experienced NPC judge and can tell you how to do it:

1. Become a NPC judge. Be very sociable, nice to the NPC folks in your region-- volunteer for all the events, make it clear you'll travel, etc. Make it clear its fun for you.
2. Do a TON of shows and meet all the other judges
3. You'll end up doing NPC shows with IFBB categories.
4. Continue to network. It's just about who you know, and who is the easiest person for them to call who will show up.
I completely understand if you don’t want to openly respond to this but do you get paid for your time, travel expenses, etc?

I completely understand if you don’t want to openly respond to this but do you get paid for your time, travel expenses, etc?
You get paid for the shows you judge. Seminars, posing clinics, etc - no. If the show you are judging is a certain distance from your home, you get compensated for mileage and a hotel room.

Is it true that when judges "test judge" their performance is judged by how similarly to the other judges they judge?

To say something positive about bb judging, I think about how similarly to audience consensus they judge. I'm not saying there aren't disagreements but considering the subjective nature it could be much worse I think. Like the top 6 might be just the guys most think should be there, though the disagreements are about who is placed first or second, fans would like to flip a few guys and so on. There are often wildly different structures at the top but fans just see who is more "advanced" and better overall. It's something that allmost can't be explained.

Fans often say they are now favoring X type of physique but I often don't agree. They have a mix of different bodytypes at the top. Sometimes size seems to be favored, sometimes conditioning but it really depends on who is overall best that day.

Is it true that when judges "test judge" their performance is judged by how similarly to the other judges they judge?

To say something positive about bb judging, I think about how similarly to audience consensus they judge. I'm not saying there aren't disagreements but considering the subjective nature it could be much worse I think. Like the top 6 might be just the guys most think should be there, though the disagreements are about who is placed first or second, fans would like to flip a few guys and so on. There are often wildly different structures at the top but fans just see who is more "advanced" and better overall. It's something that allmost can't be explained.

Fans often say they are now favoring X type of physique but I often don't agree. They have a mix of different bodytypes at the top. Sometimes size seems to be favored, sometimes conditioning but it really depends on who is overall best that day.
I can answer your question on “test judging”. NPC judges do go through a trial period where they “test judge” at several shows. They must achieve a certain level of accuracy compared to the final score cards of the judging panel.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws