over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

ZEUS 5X5 TRAINING LOG

Zeus

Newbies
This will be my ongoing training log for anyone who's interested in my exploits! By keeping this log I will push myself even harder knowing that my progress is being evaluated either publicly or privately by my promuscle bretheren!!!

A little about ZEUS: (FOR MORE DETAILS SEE THIS THREAD)
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16740

HEIGHT: 6'1"
WEIGHT: 260lbs
BF%: Around 15-17%

TRAINING HISTORY: Off and on since age 15, I just started back hardcore at the beginning of 2006 after ANOTHER 1 year layoff (which will be the last time that ever happens!!!!!!!!) I HAVE NEVER used any drugs of any kind and I plan on pushing myself to and beyond my genetic limits as a natural lifter until such time that I feel I my progress has truly stopped.

I WANT TO THANK BIG A FOR HIS BEGINNER POSTS, they inspired me with the self discipline to dedicate myself to as many possible years of intense training and eating before I consider going to the "dark side"

GOALS: To train, compete, and be the best powerlifter and strongman I can be.

For the rest of the summer I am trying to slowly lean up to about 10-11%BF% so not to sacrifice much of my size&strength gains.

In the fall I plan on starting a clean bulk while training for the WABDL Minnesota state champs in May of 2007 and the NAS Strongest man on Grand comp in June of 2007.

CURRENT TRAINING PROTOCOL: A classic 5X5 as reco'd to me by the very bad-ass BIG BYRD. It is based on his recommendation with a few of my own ideas.

I ONLY ASK THAT PEOPLE FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME THEIR HONEST INPUT, PLEASE DO NOT PLACATE ME JUST BECAUSE I AM A BEGINNER IN SOME WAYS.

DAY 1 - 6/26/2006
CLEAN&PRESS/SHOULDER DAY

Clean and Press
WU Set 1- 95lbs X 5
WU Set 2- 135lbs X 5
90% Work Set- 185lbs X 5
95% Work Set- 195lbs X 5
101% Work Set- 210lbs X 3

Seated Arnold Press (Performed with NO back support, try it if you can swallow your ego and have a strong core)
90% Work Set- 70's X 5
95% Work Set- 75's X 5
101% Work Set- 80's X 3

Glass Lateral Raises
Work Set- 40's X 9

Cable Upright Rows
Work Set- 11plates X 8

Scott Rear Laterals
Work Set- 60's X 8

Then I finish shoulder day with 1 set of 4 different rotator cuff exercises

Notes/Comments: Clean and press was okay today, I hit a PR a few weeks ago of 210lbsX4. I am finally 110% recovered from some nasty food poisoning about 10 days ago, so I know it is only going to go up from here!!

In the morning, ARM/GRIP Day!

Zeus, feel free to post your training log. We were all beginners at one time. If anyone gives you shit, I'll just ban them.

PB

Thanks PB, like I said above, I just want honest input and advice from the vets.

DAY 2- 6/27/2006
ARMS/GRIP

Alternating Dumbbell Curls (I took 1 week off of barbell curls, I was a little too sore in the elbow last week from them)
WU Set 1- 40s X 5
WU Set 2- 50s X 5
90% Work Set- 65s X 5
95% Work Set- 70s X 5
101% Work Set- 75s X 5

Incline Dumbbell Curls
Work Set 1- 40s X 10
Work Set 2- 45s X 7

Close Grip Bench Presses
WU Set 1- 135 X 5
WU Set 2- 225 X 5
90% Work Set- 255 X 5
95% Work Set- 270 X 5
101% Work Set- 285 X 4

V-Bar Pushdowns
Work Set 1- 100lbs X 10
Work Set 2- 110lbs X 9

Plate Pinch Grip
(Pinch grip two 45lb plates, smooth side out for as long as possible)

Workout Notes:
I don't do much direct work for forearms or grip, I have been lucky enough to be blessed with a strong grip and forearms that develop plenty just from not using straps. My arms need the least work of any body-part so I think I am going to just reduce the volume and do them on shoulder/trap day + maybe a couple sets on Chest day and back day if I feel I need it.

Like I said yesterday, I am finally feeling back to normal after my horrendous food poisoning. I think next week I am going to change up my split slightly to help increase my recovery and reduce one bodypart interfering with another.

Tomorrow morning, LEGS the bane of my existence only becuase I neglected squats up until just recently!!!!! (Never again!)

PEACE!

Day 3- 6/28/2006
Squat/Leg Day

Squats
WU Set 1- 135 X 5
WU Set 2- 225 X 5
90% Work Set- 255 X 5
95% Work Set- 275 X 4
101% Work Set- 295 X 3

Front Squats
90% Work Set- 190 X 5
95% Work Set- 205 X 5
101% Work Set- 220 X 3

Stiff-Leg Deads
Work Set 1- 315 X 8 (down 3 reps!!!!!! F*$@!)
Work Set 2- 365 X 4 (Just wanted to really give myself a wake-up call)

Lying Leg Curls
Work Set 1- 125 X 10
Work Set 2- 135 X 6 (By this point I was just spent tonight)

Hack Squats (1st Time I have EVER done these, thanks to BByrd's guidance)
Work Set 1- 90lbs X 10
Work Set 2- 90lbs X 11
(No that is not a typo....90 friggin lbs....I can BB Curl nearly 2X this....)

WORKOUT NOTES:
This was my first leg workout in 3 weeks so it felt good to be back. I really feel like I'm going to start exploding over July and August so stay tuned.

-Squats: I figured out tonight that this was only my 4th real Squat workout ever in my life I'm not sure how I feel about that, in some ways pretty ashamed of myself but more so looking forward to blasting up some serious poundage by this time next year! Also THANK YOU BBBYRD My squat went up 40 lbs in one workout thanks to your advice. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with my form but its coming along.

-Front Squats: Still having trouble with leaning way to far forward on this, any suggestions would be nice

-Stiff Leg Deads: I love these but I was pissed that I went down 3 reps, that's why I piled on the weight touched my freakin toes and hammered myself on that second set. Just a side note, tonight was the second time an idiot trainer at the gym I go to has tried to tell me he was doing 405 on SLDL the other day.....I've seen both these guys workout...and I know that's at least double what they can do. Why the hell to these morons have to BS like this to feel better about themselves?????!!!!!

-Hack Squats: I want BBYRD to know that his assessment of my flexors being weak was the understatement of the century!!! I could not do any weight on hacks and I could just feel those flexors begging for mercy... I was going so deep that I bottomed out the machine on a few of my reps!! I'll go just a tad less deep next week and I expect my weight on this to fly up over the next month. I really think bringing the flexors up is going to do wonders for my Squat as BBRYD said as well as my regular deads.

Alright, as much as a no-no as it is I'll be doing Chest in about 7 hours so I need to get the F*$K to sleep.

PEACE!

Day 4- 6/29/2006
Bench/Chest Day

Barbell Bench Press
WU Set 1- 135 X 5
WU Set 2- 225 X 5
90% Work Set- 275 X 5
95% Work Set- 295 X 5
101% Work Set- 315 X 3

Incline Barbell Press
90% Work Set- 225 X 5
95% Work Set- 235 X 5
101% Work Set- 245 X 5

Incline Dumbbell Presses
Work Set 1- 90s X 10
Work Set 2- 100s X 6 (?)

Weighted Dips
Work Set 1- BW+45lbs X 7
Work Set 2- BW+45lbs X 7

Cable Crossovers
Work Set 1- 140lbs X 10
Work Set 2- 160lbs X 5

WORKOUT NOTES:
Felt ok today, I messed up my meal timing today and felt like I had no carbs in me for this one, I was kind of stiff & achy and didn't really get very good contractions. I need some work on my bench technique, I'm still flaring out too much like bb'ng style BP.

Tomorrow AM, Deadlift/Back

Day 5- 6/30/2006
Deadlift/Back Day

Note: My split was all out of order this week so my legs were still (and are) just thrashed from Wed night so I decided to give Rack Deadlifts a try in place full deads so I could give my quads a break. This was the first time I have ever done rack deads so that's why I went up so much on each set. I didn't realize you could use so much more on them, You just see all these DC trainee's logs about rack deads with 450-500lbs and as I found out today, that's cake for this exercise! I expect to see some of the same results I've seen in other logs when acclimating yourself to a heavier weight.

Rack Deads
WU Set 1- 315 X 5
WU Set 2- 405 X 5
90% Work Set- 455 X 5
95% Work Set- 495 X 5
101% Work Set- 605 X 8 (I did the first four with just chalk, but I quick threw some straps on to bust out the last 4 reps)

"Corner" T-Bar Rows
90% Work Set- 250 X 5
95% Work Set- 265 X 5
101% Work Set- 280 X 5

Good Mornings
Work Set 1- 185 X 10
Work Set 2- 195 X 11
(Is it most beneficial to go slightly past paralell, to paralell, or just short???)

Wide Grip Chins
Work Set 1- BW X 5
Work Set 2- BW X 4

Close Grip Chins (With Triangle bar over chin-up bar)
Work Set 1- BW X 5
Work Set 2- BW X 6

Workout Notes:
I like the rack deads, I think I'll throw those in every 2-3 weeks. My chins are suffering being at the end of back day when I'm spent and I really want to get up to 10+ reps (for any other 250lb+ guys, you know the gratification)

Sat and Sun are going to be soley rest days, I was going to do a little core stuff tomorrow but I am sore from head to toe and know that the rest will be far more beneficial. Everyone viewing have a fun and safe holiday weekend I'll see you on Monday for Chest!

Day 8-7/3/2006
Bench/Chest Day

Barbell Bench Press
WU Set 1- 135 X 5
WU Set 2- 225 X 5
90% Work Set- 280 X 5
95% Work Set- 295 X 5
101% Work Set- 320 X 2

Incline Barbell Press
90% Work Set- 230 X 5
95% Work Set- 240 X 5
101% Work Set- 250 X 3

Incline Dumbbell Press
Work Set 1- 90s X 10
Work Set 2- 100s X 6

Weighted Dips
Work Set 1- BW+25lbs X 10
Work Set 2- BW+45lbs X 9

2 Work Sets of cable crossovers (weight varies)

WORKOUT NOTES:
I have been looking at my training journals and my chest strength has been at or around the same for nearly 4 months. I think part of it is mental, but I am considering maybe doing some realy heavy partials, negs, lockouts, etc.. to try and break through. If any of the experts have advice, just let me know and I'll give it a try.

Tomorrow---Deadlift/Back Day

Day 9- 7/4/2006
Deadlift/Back Day

Rack Deadlifts
WU Set 1- 315 X 5
WU Set 2- 405 X 5
90% Work Set- 495 X 5
95% Work Set- 585 X 5
101% Work Set- 635 X 5

T-Bar Rows
90% Work Set- 255 X 5
95% Work Set- 270 X 5
101% Work Set- 285 X 4

Good Mornings
Work Set 1- 195 X 10
Work Set 2- 205 X 7

Wide Grip Chins
Work Set 1- BW X 5
Work Set 2- BW X 5

Close-Grip Chins
Work Set 1- BW X 5
Work Set 2- BW X 6

WORKOUT NOTES:
My lower back has had just a little "Tweak" to it for a few days so I opted for the rack deads again vs. pulls from the floor. I really wen all out on the last set and aggravated it a bit so I had to scale back my intesity a bit on everything else which SUCKED BIG TIME!!! Tomorrow is an off day for some core, strectching, steam bath, sauna, and a nice 1 hour massage. I know it will be 110% better by Thursday..

Off day today, I got an awesome massage but my back is still stiff. I am going to be truly pissed if I can't clean and press 2morrow. Just going to sit on my ass the rest of the day.

PEACE!

Day 10- 7/5/2006
Delts & Arms

Seated Military Press
WU Set 1- 95 X 5
WU Set 2- 135 X 5
90% Work Set- 185 X 5
101% Work Set- 205 X 3
110% Work Set- 225 X 1 (probably about 15-25 short of true max)

Barbell Curls
WU Set 1- 95 X 5
WU Set 2- 115 X 5
90% Work Set- 145 X 5
95% Work Set- 155 X 5
110% Work Set- 185 X 1 (pretty close to max)

Close Grip Bench
WU Set 1- 135 X 5
WU Set 2- 225 X 5
90% Work Set- 255 X 5
95% Work Set- 275 X 5
110% Work Set- 315 X 1 (same, about 15-25 short of true max)

Seated Arnold/Scott Presses
Work Set- 60s X 11

Scott/Glass Lateral Raises
Work Set- 40s X 8

Cable Upright Rows
Work Set- 11plates X 10

Incline Dumbbell Curls
Work Set- 45s X 13

V-Bar Pushdowns
Work Set- 12plates X 10

Rotator Cuff
3 sets of various rotator cuff exercises

Triple Plate Holds
Pinch grip 2 45's smooth side out for max time, then one in each hand, then just one for a long-ass time!

WORKOUT NOTES:
Well today was kind of a jumble of things, and I am trying to take it easy on my back which is still stiff & sore. Please see my next post for what I am going to be doing moving forward..

Changing things up a bit...

I took my little brother out to lunch yesterday and he asked me for a very interesting birthday present. He basically begged me to get "ripped" for his birthday present next year. Sounds strange I know but anyone who has a little brother understands how much they idolize you (even at 18 years old!!!) He really looks up to me and thinks its so "cool" how big and strong I am (well at least to him and his 150 lbs teenage freinds...lol...) But he told me instead of a birthday present next March all he wants is for me to get into awesome condition so I look awesome in addition to performing awesome in my competetions next June.

I'm not just going to do it for him though, I have never been lean, I have never seen my abs EVER. I need to do this so I feel healthy, athletic, and get as strong pound for pound as humanly possible without ever letting my BF% back to where it is now.

I was going to use the 5X5 routine for about 4 more weeks but this is how I see things shaping up now:

Next week off, its been a little too long since I took a recuperative week. I'll just be doing some very light work and cardio.

7/17/2006 to 2/19/2007
Will be following a DC style routine to gain as much size and strength as I can while leaning down from my 15-17% BF to 8-9% BF I know by taking adequate time and with the proper discipline I can keep getting bigger, stronger, and leaner at the same time.

Week off

2/26/2007 to 5/27/2007
Meet specific training leading up to the WABDL meet at the end of May and the NAS Strongman comp. the first week of June. (I am planning on working with BByrd starting around the beg. of February up through the comps.)

After both comps will be a short break and then plan out the rest of the year after I qualify for the WABDL world's!!!

I feel damn good about my plan and look forward to being BIG, STRONG, and FINALLY Ripped (while at least ripped by PL'ng standards!!) I will continue to keep my training log after my week off so everyone can see how DC training works for an aspiring powerlifter...

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
NWO
NapsGear