advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Meat meals vs. Whey Protein meals. What's your opinion?

JETHRO TULL

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Verified Custo
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Let me preface this by stating that I love to eat. Steaks, chicken, burgers, trout, hell, just about any kind of meat.

However, when I start getting serious about eating clean it is much easier to utilyze the powders. I realize that meat has the benefit of making you feel full and combined with its relative difficulty to digest it probably has an added thermogenic effect. I wonder though.....

Suppose you are supplementing with enough iron, etc and are eating a protein powder with all 10 essential aminos and are eating every 2-3 hours with vegetables, oats, or fruit....does all that really matter?

I've always been told "make sure you eat solid meals". Well, is broccoli not "solid"? Oats? Apples?

Suppose I don't care about "feeling full" and am willing to take in all my protein from powders with the occasional steak on the weekend for instance?

Lets say I've got my nutritional bases very well covered and am getting in enough essential fats through fish oil, olive oil, Vitamin D3 and almonds...does it really matter what my protein source is as long as it has all the essential aminos?

Now I am not asking for a regurgitation of all the crap you've "heard"...I've heard it all too. I am wondering if any of you have actually done what I am describing above and compared it to your efforts with meat.

Thank you very much my promuscular friends and neighbors! ;):D

I've done both, 5 or 6 shakes/day, and then only 1 or 2 shakes/day, and personally I look better/harder and feel better eating food. I did however still stay strong and lean on just the shakes, and it was actually cheaper for me to do all the shakes than the food sources. If money ever gets rough I suppose I'll go back to it

I think it is all a matter if you wanna feel full or not. If you have the mental capabilities of doing this, why not give it try! My cousin who is lean as hell, pretty much lives on the velocity eating concept...he drinks 5 protein shakes with amino acids/superfood powder dump into a shaker and has one grilled chicken salad each day, but on the weekend (Saturday) eats whatever he wants and has paper like skin. He has the mind set to do so amd has no problem doing it. He works very hard and constantly, just doesnt make time for whole meals. The only thing is I think he lacks in his training greatly, so he doesnt get a whole lot of muscle out it this style of eating!

I personally have to eat meat or I would never make it thru the day. Lean beef, tilapia, eggs, and protein shakes. I prolly could do this for like 2 weeks at the most, but besides that I would rather have whole meat meals instead of protein shakes just for the full effect - ALL MENTAL THING TO ME!

JT, we both know we are not high carb guys, so this may work for you, but if your mind goes...put your meats back in there!

Again, I am gonna try a whole different approach this offseason = I am gonna eat, eat, eat, but the right way!

I hear you, Abolish.

I've done both, 5 or 6 shakes/day, and then only 1 or 2 shakes/day, and personally I look better/harder and feel better eating food. I did however still stay strong and lean on just the shakes, and it was actually cheaper for me to do all the shakes than the food sources. If money ever gets rough I suppose I'll go back to it

I want to make clear that I am not just drinking a couple scoops of protein or a meal replacement shake. I am eating with each of those drinks a whole can of green beans or lets say an apple or broccoli or 1/2 cup of oats.

That might be what you are saying too. I want to make sure that's clear though....solid food with a protein drink.

I appreciate your thoughts, sir!

I lived on LBAs for 100% of my protein source for 4 months. I felt great and added strength while leaning out.

If you must do a powder, I would not do anything else except Beef Isolate. From my experience, there is a HUGE difference between whey and beef powders.

Honestly, I think whey is garbage. Sure it will hold your mass, but I did not get any gains in strength while cutting. I have made gains with the beef Isolate.

Currently, I use both LBAs and Beef Isolate. Just my experience, for what its worth.

Yes, the last time I experimented with low carbs I primarily had drinks and veg-

I think it is all a matter if you wanna feel full or not. If you have the mental capabilities of doing this, why not give it try! My cousin who is lean as hell, pretty much lives on the velocity eating concept...he drinks 5 protein shakes with amino acids/superfood powder dump into a shaker and has one grilled chicken salad each day, but on the weekend (Saturday) eats whatever he wants and has paper like skin. He has the mind set to do so amd has no problem doing it. He works very hard and constantly, just doesnt make time for whole meals. The only thing is I think he lacks in his training greatly, so he doesnt get a whole lot of muscle out it this style of eating!

I personally have to eat meat or I would never make it thru the day. Lean beef, tilapia, eggs, and protein shakes. I prolly could do this for like 2 weeks at the most, but besides that I would rather have whole meat meals instead of protein shakes just for the full effect - ALL MENTAL THING TO ME!

JT, we both know we are not high carb guys, so this may work for you, but if your mind goes...put your meats back in there!

Again, I am gonna try a whole different approach this offseason = I am gonna eat, eat, eat, but the right way!

Or chicken and almonds. etc.

This time I am going to eat 8 meals per day instead of my normal six and eat a little more carbohydrates. My girl friend has been bugging me saying that I don't eat enough. Well, I am going to eat every 2 hours for the next three months and take pics again. I'll eat more vegetables....more oats and keep my carbs around 140-150 instead of 50-60grams per day like last time.

Ness, I appreciate the input.

I lived on LBAs for 100% of my protein source for 4 months. I felt great and added strength while leaning out.

If you must do a powder, I would not do anything else except Beef Isolate. From my experience, there is a HUGE difference between whey and beef powders.

Honestly, I think whey is garbage. Sure it will hold your mass, but I did not get any gains in strength while cutting. I have made gains with the beef Isolate.

Currently, I use both LBAs and Beef Isolate. Just my experience, for what its worth.

That's what I am after, real world experience....not what you've heard or read.

I am going to do it and see what happens!

Walk on empty stomach- 45min.

Example-

Meal 1-6:30 am -2 scoops protein, fish oil, oatmeal

meal 2-8:30am 2scoops protein, green beans 1 large can, vitamins etc.

Meal 3-10am 2scoops protein, seneca sugar free apple sauce

Meal 4-12:00 same as above....it's noon at this time.

Meal 5-2:00pm 2scoops protein oatmeal.

Meal 6-4:00 pm 2scoops protein, eca, applesauce

Train
Meal 7-6:30pm 2scoops protein, oats, fishoil

Meal 8-9:00pm 2scoops protein, broccoli

Treadmill- 10pm...slow walk.

That's my plan- 3000 cals to start with....some lower carb days and a high one here and there.

Weights will be two on one off.

That day off I'll do nothing but stretch and roll around on the foam roller, tan and hot tub.

That walking will be wicked low intensity.

no difference for me

i've done both real food and mostly shakes. i can't say there has ever been a difference that i've noticed. my preference is for 5 shakes daily with one meat meal either chicken or beef. i also have a few snacks mostly bananas, apples and nuts.

Thanks, Tom.

Obviously this is not my attempt to "get big". My goal is to preserve what little muscle mass I have and get leaner. I got lean last october using the lower carb approach. This time I am going what I consider to be moderate carbohydrates for my physique. I'd like to be as lean as I was in October but will full muscles instead of flat.

I was reading somewhere about the bioavailabilities of various proteins.. Whey was #1 at 100%.. All the meats were lower, with red meat being the lowest at around 70%.. I think those are the numbers.. But then I always hear that real food is always better..

I was reading somewhere about the bioavailabilities of various proteins.. Whey was #1 at 100%.. All the meats were lower, with red meat being the lowest at around 70%.. I think those are the numbers.. But then I always hear that real food is always better..

Even if that is the case, did you consider the amino acid profile of whey vs other protein sources?

im always a hungry mofo so i could never make it on shakes as my only protein source... I would rather have a nice big flat iron or filet steak! or a large 8oz chicken breast. i can do maybe 3 shakes at the most but no way in hell could i do all whey shakes. the best thing would be to have a meal with a serving of whey with each meal....yes i said whey, whowever said whey was crap is freakin crazy! I'll take higher protein synthesis anyday!!!! (now if your supplementing BCAA's also well thats a different story). :) :st:r-wars

Obviously this is not my attempt to "get big". My goal is to preserve what little muscle mass I have and get leaner. I got lean last october using the lower carb approach. This time I am going what I consider to be moderate carbohydrates for my physique. I'd like to be as lean as I was in October but will full muscles instead of flat.
then why wouldn't you want the higher thermogenic response of digesting whole meat sources????

I would rather get my protein from meat sources, I do however "supplement" my protein with LBA's between meals.

I feel like shit when I only get my protein from shakes. Like I feel incomplete and always hungry and get headaches. But then again I cant move if I get all my protein from meats. I tend to do 2 meals with meat and 4 with shakes. I dont see how a good quality protein like CFM or lba's or good quality isolates will cause less muscle growth than chicken,eggs or steak. I think the combo of diff assortments is best and ive leately been doing CFM, beef isolate,lbas,milk,eggs,chicken,steak for all my protein and its going well.

Bboy, oh, yes........I am all for that thermogenic effect.

then why wouldn't you want the higher thermogenic response of digesting whole meat sources????

I am just wondering if I had say...a half cup of oats and my two scoops of protein...that I'd still be getting a thermogenic effect ..since the oats still take some effort for the body to break down.

Lets say I've got a gut FULL of broccoli and have done the whey protein. I think I am still getting that effect, right?

I am in total agreement with you as far as loving a big steak or a couple chicken breasts.

I am just wondering if it all makes a difference as long as a person is eating enough regular food from other sources like the ones I mentioned above.

Just kicking ideas around with you fellas...seeing what you think or have tried in the past. :)

When I dieted for shows I did three meat and carb meals and three oat and whey meals.

I feel like shit when I only get my protein from shakes. Like I feel incomplete and always hungry and get headaches. But then again I cant move if I get all my protein from meats. I tend to do 2 meals with meat and 4 with shakes. I dont see how a good quality protein like CFM or lba's or good quality isolates will cause less muscle growth than chicken,eggs or steak. I think the combo of diff assortments is best and ive leately been doing CFM, beef isolate,lbas,milk,eggs,chicken,steak for all my protein and its going well.

I am just curious if it makes a difference other than simply a full gut, you know?

It doesn't bother me not to be full. I actually feel better and less lethargic. That might be just me though! lol.

What if you didn't though, my friend?

I would rather get my protein from meat sources, I do however "supplement" my protein with LBA's between meals.

Lets say that you said screw it.... I am not eating meat anymore.

I wonder what effect it would have on your physique. Maybe a great deal and maybe no effect.

Should it matter given the scenario I outlined in my initial post.

I am NOT claiming to know anything. I am going to try it and I will either fail and look shitty or I won't. lol.

I am just wondering if I had say...a half cup of oats and my two scoops of protein...that I'd still be getting a thermogenic effect ..since the oats still take some effort for the body to break down.

Lets say I've got a gut FULL of broccoli and have done the whey protein. I think I am still getting that effect, right?

I am in total agreement with you as far as loving a big steak or a couple chicken breasts.

I am just wondering if it all makes a difference as long as a person is eating enough regular food from other sources like the ones I mentioned above.

Just kicking ideas around with you fellas...seeing what you think or have tried in the past. :)
yes but whey is so easily digestable your missing out, it takes like twice the amount of calories to digest a gram of protein as it does carbs or fat (it may be more than that i can't remember) so i would opt for whole protein sources that are harder to digest and thus cause a higher calorie expendature (spelling?)..LOL

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131