over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dr. Rhonda Patrick on the Joe Rogan podcast

Why it shouldn't be used on IF? I think is because the hormones it causes to be released (adrenaline and noradrenaline) cause low blood sugar levels which are known to be accompanied by sugar cravings.

Lack of sleep and increases cortisol levels which leads to weight gain. Caffeine increasing cortisol.

The purpose of black coffee in the morning, pre-cardio, was for the caffeine to uncouple triglycerides from adipose tissue(fat). So your body can utilize triglycerides as fuel. When we sleep HGH does the same thing.

Didn't watch the video, but from the replies, it seems like she's full of it.

The purpose of black coffee in the morning, pre-cardio, was for the caffeine to uncouple triglycerides from adipose tissue(fat). So your body can utilize triglycerides as fuel. When we sleep HGH does the same thing.

Didn't watch the video, but from the replies, it seems like she's full of it.

She's knows what she's doing pal. She's one of the cream of the crop.

However, this will still not stop me from having my coffee either.

But she is legit and extremely credible.

She's an exceptionally intelligent biochemist. Her post doctorate was under the insightful eye of Bruce Ames PhD of UCSF. If you know whom Bruce Ames is, you'll recognize he's been a leader in the feild of science's for a number of years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566436/

I do enjoy my 🍵first thing in the morning before my fasted cardio :)

Last edited:
Just to be clear. you are posting that to show the beneficial effects of coffee on glucose metabolism and FAA and insulin receptor effects correct? ( beneficial with respect to bodybuilding)

The research showed that in the short term coffee had a negative effect but when taken long term it helped insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism.

Personally, if you enjoy coffee, don’t give it up if you’re worried about breaking your fast. Too many health benefits over the negative of breaking the fast.

She is incredibly intelligent and puts out a ton of food info. This podcast is loaded with good shit.

YOLO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does timing matter as much, can my window of eating just be early in day and start my fast in the evening. Everything I've seen on this topically people aren't eating during the first part of day. I work second shift and it would be easier for me to stop eating at night and get most of my meals in before I start working.

D, I love you man but Rhonda Patrick is as legit as they come and incredibly intelligent.

Black coffee does in fact have trace calories, just can be listed as zero because it's less than 5 calories per serving, but that isn't what makes it break your fast.

You kind of answer your own question with mentioning it being a stimulant. The caffeine in coffee will illicit an insulin response which is what breaks your fast. Studies have shown as much as a 40% greater insulin response from caffeinated coffee compared to decaf.

Rhonda Patrick didn't come up with this, the medical community has known this for years and is the reason why some diabetics have to keep an eye out for their caffeine intake (also why diet coke has a caffeine free version).

But to the people who think this will make or break their fat loss if they are practicing IF, it won't make a noticeable difference because it still has no real caloric content. The issue only really arises when people are looking to get the reported health benefits, longevity and mental clarity benefits from IF. If that's the case, you want the digestive system to remain as inactive as possible for extended periods and water should be the only thing consumed.

Long winded but my point is she's right but even she would agree it won't noticeably hinder fat loss.

well said

She's an exceptionally intelligent biochemist. Her post doctorate was under the insightful eye of Bruce Ames PhD of UCSF. If you know whom Bruce Ames is, you'll recognize he's been a leader in the feild of science's for a number of years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566436/

I do enjoy my 🍵first thing in the morning before my fasted cardio :)

Can't trust those UCSF people ;-)

Ok i think many people are misunderstanding the literature and mechanism of action on this, so much so that im in my office and taking a break from real work to address this.

I may have to read Rhonda's position on this but i really think people are misunderstanding the data including her position from what i can understand by what people are posting. Lets assume for a moment I take glucagon... what is gonna happen..my glucose levels are going to rise... now lets say I am just chilling in my office with my now elevated glucose levels.. what is gonna happen.. pretty soon my insulin levels are gonna rise in response. Now the insulin is gonna be competed against from the glucagon ( a bit more complicated then this but trying to make it basic).

To me this is a good thing for us! We have glucose in our blood stream and in the presence of increased cAMP and a bunch of other crap that happens when we have caffeine like FAA in our blood stream we can now use our muscle glut receptors to grab that shit and burn it during our "fasted cardio".

This is a major difference between someone who is gonna burn those free glucose molecules and FFA vs someone who is gonna increase there blood glucose levels and sit down and watch the news. In the latter long term i could decrease insulin sensitivity from the elevated insulin ( and glucose levels)

There is so much misinformation regarding diabetic literature that bbers and nutrition experts have backwards...like apple cider vinegar that i showed years ago was silly from our perspective ( but good for diabetics).

Last edited:
Can't trust those UCSF people ;-)

Ok i think many people are misunderstanding the literature and mechanism of action on this, so much so that im in my office and taking a break from real work to address this.

I may have to read Rhonda's position on this but i really think people are misunderstanding the data including her position from what i can understand by what people are posting. Lets assume for a moment I take glucagon... what is gonna happen..my glucose levels are going to rise... now lets say I am just chilling in my office with my now elevated glucose levels.. what is gonna happen.. pretty soon my insulin levels are gonna rise in response. Now the insulin is gonna be competed against from the glucagon ( a bit more complicated then this but trying to make it basic).

To me this is a good thing for us! We have glucose in our blood stream and in the presence of increased cAMP and a bunch of other crap that happens when we have caffeine like FAA in our blood stream we can now use our muscle glut receptors to grab that shit and burn it during our "fasted cardio".

This is a major difference between someone who is gonna burn those free glucose molecules and FFA vs someone who is gonna increase there blood glucose levels and sit down and watch the news. In the latter long term i could decrease insulin sensitivity from the elevated insulin ( and glucose levels)

There is so much misinformation regarding diabetic literature that bbers and nutrition experts have backwards...like apple cider vinegar that i showed years ago was silly from our perspective ( but good for diabetics).

Definitely want to hear your take on this

Definitely want to hear your take on this

My very quick response is to look at its effects on dissacharidase. Depending on what you are specifically trying to accomplish it may or may not be beneficial. People look the whole apple cidar vin thing with respect to insulin levels a blanket statement without looking at the MOA. People were discussing it while still consuming a shit ton of calories thinking it would help. IT MAY help if your carb consumption is lower..a lot lower... but when i see guys talking about taking apple cider vin in order to combat downregulation while they are taking insulin or bulking.

So to me its very important to consider the literature in context of what you are doing and how it may be effected. Can ACV help some people....maybe, but in others it may not really make a bit of difference.

lol
a 2 page debate on coffee pre or post cardio...

wow.
maybe im getting out of touch with all this but seriously... :banghead:
you guys have too much time on your hands!
coming from me, this statement should make you see you have a very serious problem! lol

not for debate but...
those who drink coffee pre...
how?
lol
i wake up, i make my coffee, say hi to the dog then we go for a walk.
i drink my coffee anywhere from... idk 1-3 hrs after i get back.
no human can drink this. lol

its just like get up n go out the door.

isnt that how you do it?
get up go for a walk?

we are really over complicating things at this point.

and REALLY??? is it gona make that much difference? lol

if you think a cup of coffee is the make or break, i think there are bigger issues.

sorry, you guys seem silly today.:love:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKBsh7YTXQ"]How Sauna Use May Boost Longevity - YouTube[/ame]

What are you guys opinion on what she has to say about sauna?

sorry, couldnt listen to that second one bable for more then a few mins.

the first was... listenable. lol
but fuck man... these people are all about over complicating and over expailing some very basic shit that ppl been hip to a long freaking time.

listening to the science is great, the latest technology basically just proves ( re enforces ) the theories, ideas and practices some have had for a long time.

i knida laughed when the first chick said she'd been doing this a year. lol
a year=expert:rolleyes: i guess in google age.
just breaking balls, her sciencey stuff earns respect.

seriously the sauna thing...
listen to that.
most is goan be a result of life style.. i mean for real what kinda guy spend THAT much time in the sauna.. lets be real. i cant sit still for ten mins on my comfy cough, fuck a suana.

be willing to be just putting diet n exercise in proper order and not doing tons of stupid shit will take care of all this.

im not being negative on all this, i just feel like so many have lost site of the forest through the trees...

that said prob 95% of this board would be best served to listen and apply all this.:lightbulb:
:D

D, I love you man but Rhonda Patrick is as legit as they come and incredibly intelligent.

Black coffee does in fact have trace calories, just can be listed as zero because it's less than 5 calories per serving, but that isn't what makes it break your fast.

You kind of answer your own question with mentioning it being a stimulant. The caffeine in coffee will illicit an insulin response which is what breaks your fast. Studies have shown as much as a 40% greater insulin response from caffeinated coffee compared to decaf.

Rhonda Patrick didn't come up with this, the medical community has known this for years and is the reason why some diabetics have to keep an eye out for their caffeine intake (also why diet coke has a caffeine free version).

But to the people who think this will make or break their fat loss if they are practicing IF, it won't make a noticeable difference because it still has no real caloric content. The issue only really arises when people are looking to get the reported health benefits, longevity and mental clarity benefits from IF. If that's the case, you want the digestive system to remain as inactive as possible for extended periods and water should be the only thing consumed.

Long winded but my point is she's right but even she would agree it won't noticeably hinder fat loss.
Precisely. The question is why is an individual fasting? If it's to repeat the potential health benefits from autophagey, then coffee technically breaks the fast. The body must metabolize the caffeine even if it's only trace calories. Dr. Rhonda Patrick is quoting the research by Dr. Satchin Panda. She has a YouTube video with that interview for those interested.

If a bodybuilder is fasting to accelerate fat loss, coffee is likely insignificant.

An interesting question is how long could one fast and still have a net positive nitrogen balance. I have not seen data to answer that question in the populations for which many here would be interested.

An interesting question is how long could one fast and still have a net positive nitrogen balance. I have not seen data to answer that question in the populations for which many here would be interested.

I’m not sure if youve watched the video but this is the main think she speaks about in the video. The coffee part is only a small blurb, even though that’s the take home most people got here.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
cam2435
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws