advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The real 101 guide to insulin and Bodybuilding. Doses, Timing, Different insulin analogs effects on appetite, IGF-1, Hyperplasia, Health benefits and

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have multiple approaches. Which ive used on many.

If you want I can list or pm the lazy effective method. Which just involves basically a shower routine which you hsve to shower anyways right... lol. And a couple of supplements max.

Would love to check it out thank you, currently using a nizoral 2% shampoo every other day and RU every night before bed. It has produced results or at least maintained but still could use some hair on the crown that’s for sure, would really suck if I wasn’t above average height 🤦🏻‍♂️

Completely derailed this thread didn’t I?

Would love to check it out thank you, currently using a nizoral 2% shampoo every other day and RU every night before bed. It has produced results or at least maintained but still could use some hair on the crown that’s for sure, would really suck if I wasn’t above average height 🤦🏻‍♂️

Completely derailed this thread didn’t I?
Ha and if its mainly the crown trust me.its the easiest to recover. Let me list a super easy protocol.

I would ude jusin's way og doing insulin.
That is how i did IT.

Work you insulin Up to ser Where is your Limit carbs to iu. When you 'feel hype' go back a couple of iu.

Then do insulin on lead Days max 3 maybe 4 times a week and do IT like 3-4times a day

Id really really suggest not once. Can I ask why you choose this method. The only use I would say once daily would be if you were over eating hugely to take advantage near your workout. Which workout window is already like almost taking insulin.

Again is there anything making you stick to this idea ? Want once a day go with lantus. Trust me. Its much more powerful and safer in most peoples concerns of hypo. Plus amazing appetite increase.

Remember some insulins can lwoer appetite and hence weight loss as shown in studies.

I'm busy at work all day and only eat on the go. I dont want to be thinking about taking slin then. So you don't think there's any benefit to taking humalog pre or post workout 4 times a week?

I'm busy at work all day and only eat on the go. I dont want to be thinking about taking slin then. So you don't think there's any benefit to taking humalog pre or post workout 4 times a week?
Of course there benefits....then there's maximum efficiency, which do you choose?

I really really enjoyed the write up.
Is humulin R/Novolin R not worth using?
Its just so easy to get because you can walk into a Walmart pharmacy and buy it.

I've used it a few different times for just 2-3 weeks at a time and in my opinion it worked pretty incredible. Its absolutely insane how hungry it made me. Im the type of person who never has an appetite. Im always force feeding. Ive never taken anything that i can say increased my appetite even a little, EXCEPT novolin r. I was completely caught off guard with that.

I was just using maybe 8 ius pre and/or post workout.

I like the idea of taking small doses throughout the day. Can this still be done with novolin r? Im just so used to so many bodybuilders talking about using it so i was suprised to not see it mentioned. Well, i think you said something along the lines of, "its not ideal" or something. I think, lol.

Any thoughts on this. Do you have any recommendations for using it, or if anyone else has recommendations. Like i said, i have experience with it, but if lantus and log are THAT much better then i may try and order some.

For me it would be about convenience and extra benefit.
I used to take some insulin post workout along with GH and had good results. Results with insulin were better than without. Started out with just GH. I started out with humalog and then switched over to humulin R because I felt like it was easier for me to avoid going hypo. Never had any issue with R, but humalog would cause me hypo problems frequently. Im no expert and not claiming what I did was best, but that was my experience.

So , how would one work in their HGH to this insulin protocol??

I used to take some insulin post workout along with GH and had good results. Results with insulin were better than without. Started out with just GH. I started out with humalog and then switched over to humulin R because I felt like it was easier for me to avoid going hypo. Never had any issue with R, but humalog would cause me hypo problems frequently. Im no expert and not claiming what I did was best, but that was my experience.

Just curious how much humulin r were you using post workout?

Diet on insulin.
Tied into the last topic above, keep your saturated fats low. If you read my macros post on dieting it goes a little more into detail. Saturated fats are one of the worst at decreasing insulin sensitivity and adding fat gain in a surplus vs fats like PUFA fats. Which were shown to add almost all muscle gain. PUFA fats also have the benefit of increasing insulin sensitivity and helping prevent white fat gain and decreasing skin fat thickness. Never go zero fats on insulin, it will hurt your muscle growth severely and it is not optimal for keeping fat off as well.

How to eat while taking insulin
I’m not going to go into crazy detail on this because it is way too big of a topic to cover. You can read my other post about diet in general and why I dislike any junk food and empty-nutrient foods. Nutrients build muscle and are needed to utilize your protein carbs and fats, and higher nutrients of many micronutrients were shown to enhance muscle growth without adding calories and help fat loss without reducing calories. A calorie is simply not a calorie, read my phosphorus article and see how adding phosphorus to the diet can have an effect (phosphorous is mainly in protein food sources, example: 100g of one meat may contain 200mg phosphorous while the next may contain 600mg, x3 the amount).

So food choices DO matter. It’s the same with carbs, eat all the carbs you want but it requires a specific amount of potassium per gram to be stored as glycogen. Like many have seen my guys who increase potassium without altering diet somehow have their weight shoot up and look much thicker due to properly holding an optimal amount of glycogen than before, which is a much more anabolic muscle. So again, nutrients matter, don’t go eating empty sugar calories on insulin use. Eat your normal meals, and add inuslin to your meals, don't work your meals around insulin, insulin works around your meals. 100g carbs potato, 250g meat some veggies good fats, work your insulin dose around this. Don't go adding some random crappy empty calorie dextrose or sugar drink that doesn't support nutrient utilization of protein, carbs or fats and doesn't aid the very complex muscle repair process. Again, read my other articles on macro dieting and why it's bad.

Carb sources on insulin.
Fructose inhibits vasodilation and does not replace glycogen as good as glucose, But glucose solo also does not restore glycogen as well as glucose-fructose combo. But only a little fructose is needed to fulfill this job. So keeping glucose as the majority of your carb intake with a little fructose is the best scenario. We want this if we want our veins to look extra big.

Summary:

- Basically, there are 3 types of insulin: short acting, medium acting, and fast acting.
- For normal people ideally you want to take a slow acting once in the morning AND a fast acting with every meal. The slow acting provides a low-level dose in the background keeping you anabolic all day and the fast-acting is needed for high spikes during meals. However, if you can only take one then either can be used, both have their ups and downs.
- Dosages vary. Trial and error depending on feel and BG levels.

That about sums it up. Putting to rest a lot of misconceptions, such as the dangers of our insulin use compared to what the reality is. Why using once a day is not optimal and doesn't make sense from an optimal growth perspective. The bogus claims on how all insulins are the same and their effects. I hope I didn't forget anything but I am sure I did since I just threw this together on a whim. But I will update if any more facts pop in my head on each topic here.

Also, the display picture is a good example here of insulin used optimally in just one cycle. The time length I won't even mention as it will likely just cause a huge fight if it is true or not.

Disclaimer; This is not medical advice or advice in general. This is for educational purposes only.

Thanks for the article. A few questions:

*What's your ideal number for glucose levels 2 and 3 hours after a meal?

*Do you recommend fructose and glucose with each meal when adding the fast acting insulin?

* Do you still recommend a fast acting insulin with a meal that only contains protein and fats?

* What are your specific preferred fat sources to use while using slin?

*Could you talk some more about upping potassium and getting thicker as well as gaining weight? Do you recommend a potassium supplement for it? What food sources are best? What specific amount of daily pottasium would you suggest?

I’m not a fan of potato’s while bulking as rice is just easier appetite wise, what are your thoughts on using Morton’s lite salt for it which is half sodium and half potassium, usually put 2-3g of that on each meal

Just got up. Way too much to type indepth reply on my phone for some of these questions will be a book reply. Let me get to the laptop in abit.

Just curious how much humulin r were you using post workout?
Honestly, its been about 12 years now and I cant remember. At the time it wasnt considered a high dose, that much I do know. I just cant put a number on it now, been too long. Just remember how it would make my muscles much more full after a workout, I felt really good on it like having a pump.

Hey bud, when you discontinued the insulin use how much did you loose? Were you able to tell how much you gained was from just glycogen storage as opposed to actual tissue?

Hey bud, when you discontinued the insulin use how much did you loose? Were you able to tell how much you gained was from just glycogen storage as opposed to actual tissue?
Well, considering I only quit because I had a heart attack I cant really say. I stopped lifting for awhile and was in poor health. I never did recover my health. I never really looked at insulin as a drug to help me put on muscle. I thought of it as a way to recover faster after heavy lifting. It really did seem to help reduce DOMS and speed recovery for me. When I went on it I really didnt gain any more weight than I would have without it, but I felt more recovered than without it. I only did it once a day, after my lift along with my GH.

Studies show insulin use being a strong anti-catabolic drug in nature, once we reach the point of not having enough glucose for our insulin levels, glucagon raises which then starts breaking down our muscle tissue for glucose to balance the even slightly high insulin level to glucose in your blood. So yes, even insulin’s strong anti-catabolic nature could not stop the amino acid dumping of glucagon. So if you use long-acting insulin twice a day, you will have lower levels in the daytime when you need it the most to optimally drive nutrients into muscle, and create a nice catabolic scenario during your non-feeding (sleeping) hours.

Short-acting insulin use for a bodybuilder is the other choice. No intermediate (medium acting) here unless you are a diabetic having trouble controlling your blood sugar levels in between meals. Otherwise, you are going to miss the peak hour for your meal of insulin levels and then go hypo when you have nothing in your body and possibly catabolic due to glucagon that I already talked about above. Short-acting insulin is not too tricky, but you must also factor in your gastric emptying rate. Some are slower and some are faster than others.

As an example, even a doctor (a good one) will advise your needs might be 15 minutes before a meal or 15 minutes after a meal. This is something you have to figure out on your own by feel and/or BG readings. If you notice you start feeling hypo during a meal, your gastric empty rate might be slow, and/or you took your insulin too early before the meal. Or if you notice you are going hypo long after a meal. You took your insulin too late for your meal and or your gastric emptying rate is fast. I personally find on average most do best with 10-15mins before a meal with items like Humalog (a short-acting insulin)

Insulin dosing needs.
Anyone who ever gives you a recommendation of insulin dosing is purely just playing a game of chance and hoping you are using the optimal amount and not to low and not too high. Everyone’s insulin needs will vary and even medically the standard rule for new diabetics varies largely from 4 to 18g carbs per IU. Do you need 4 or 18g? Even more? even less? Who knows. Do you want to use less than optimal dosing where you are barely benefiting? Example using 5iu and your sensitivity is not the best while eating 150g carbs a meal, and your body actually requires 25iu? For one, you are setting yourself up for negative health effects when you require such a high dose and just hoping 5iu gets the job done, leaving your body with high BG for hours on end. And two, you are not getting anywhere near the optimal amount of your nutrients into your muscles for optimal growth.

When you want to find out the dose you require you simply start low. Say majority of your meals are 100g carbs, you pick a safe number that you are comfortable with, 2-5iu. You check your BG levels and notice that you’re a little bit high still a few hours later. (I prefer to check before meals, 1 hour after, 2 hours, 3 hours and 4 hours when first figuring out exact needs as everyone’s digestion rate varies like I already said.) So if you are a little bit high, go ahead and up it comfortably depending on how high at the next meal, say you’re a little high, up it by 2. say you’re very high, up it by 5. And continue like so.

I am not preaching anyone to use insulin here, or to know how to read a BG meter and fully understand what dose is putting their level where and how much to increase it by as well. Although at the same time people work up insulin’s dangers to be way overblown. As a bodybuilder using insulin and eating large amounts of foods, and using a dose you know is in your range, it’s basically impossible to have a complication. Studies on attempted suicides with insulin using extremely high doses have only resulted in 2.7 percent actually achieving their death. While also factoring in these people were not eating like a Bodybuilder. These people knowingly took an insanely high dose of insulin much over their needs without eating to commit suicide while a bodybuilding is consuming food to counteract the blood sugar drop and using a dose that he knows is in a safe range for his body’s needs. Again, if only 2.7 percent of people taking insanely high doses without eating food WITH the intention of killing themselves died, then a bodybuilder taking a small dose and eating 100-200g carbs a meal has pretty damn good odds.

Also to put some more things into perspective: An average male on a 3000 calorie per day diet would produce 70iu insulin, post hepatic levels so total more than this actually. This figure is for post hepatic insulin released into circulation. The pancreas actually produces about twice as much and half is exacted in the liver before it's released into circulation via the portal vein. So when guys think their 5iu is a big dose, generally for most it will barely budge them. Also, the highest insulin dose ever recorded was 35,000iu… just some food for thought. This is the reason we have u500, which many also don't know about. 1ml u500 is 500iu vs u100 which we all use is 100iu per ml.

My personal experience and experiences on other’s insulin needs.
On average, I find most men trying to grow, and again this is a very general average, because one guy might be eating 5k calories and the next guy 6k and so on, so take it as a very rough average. I find most men will be somewhere between 15-20iu a meal on a heavy bulk of a fast-acting insulin. And long-acting like Lantus to be around 50-70iu on a heavy bulk again for a decent sized male. Lower ranges less common is 5iu a meal and 30iu Lantus a day. Higher ranges, 100iu Lantus, and 20-30iu Humalog a meal.

All depending on their sensitivity, food intake, and if GH is used and how much. There have been times when my sensitivity was amazing and some meals/food intake 10iu was optimal for me, and there has been a time where 100iu Lantus morning and 65iu Humalog a meal was still not cutting it for me due to a GH analog. So realize this is how much sensitivity and individual needs can vary. Take no one’s suggestions of doses and start low and find what you need safely.

Does insulin make you fat?
No insulin does not make you fat. If this was the case then every diabetic out there who continues to eat shit would be growing at insanely rapid rates and we would all be able to tell the diabetics apart by them all being 800lbs. Considering the fact that a common diabetic will use insulin in the hundreds, and sometimes even thousands of IU a day. Most of us can’t tell a diabetic from a non-diabetic, well simply you can't actually. And if it were also true, there would be no such thing as type 1 diabetic bodybuilders who have insulin in them 24/7 and able to compete at stage ready bodyfat levels.

Diet makes you fat, plain and simple. You eat you make insulin, you don't eat, you still make insulin. Yet we can all get lean. Yes, insulin does drive nutrients into the cells, but what is insulin resistance, diabetes? It is a decrease in insulin sensitivity to the muscles. Fat and muscle have DIFFERENT sensitivities believe it or not. So no insulin isn’t going to have the same effect on everyone’s fat and muscle naturally or synthetically. And you can use specific items/supplements to increase insulin sensitivity to the muscles and decrease it to the fat cells (glutamine is one such item). So you are driving more nutrients to the muscle then fat, which again if you were resistant in the first place, your natural production would be making you fat anyways. As an example with made-up figures: let’s say naturally if you are put on 20lbs of muscle and 2lbs of fat over 6 months, with insulin it would be 40lbs muscle and 4lbs of fat 4lbs fat (remember these are arbitrary figures for an example). So what did you just do? You doubled your muscle and fat gain. Is the ratio ANY different then what you would have achieved naturally? No not at all. Sure you gained double the fat, but double the muscle, something you would have done anyway at the 1-year mark, you just attained it sooner. (Again, to restate this before anyone gets the idea that I am saying this is what will happen, I am not. I am showing a point in how insulin sensitivity at the different sites and diet play a role and insulin is doing the same job it would have done anyways.)

Continued...

This was a very interesting informative read. I have never taken slin and doubtful I ever will but it’s nice to see such a write up on it as it’s rarely talked about and when it is it’s usually very vague. Thanks!

@FrancisK

Before your shower wet your scalp in the sink with your hands, just lightly wet is fine. Then apply Peppermint oil in your palm about a nickle to quater sized amount and dab with your fingers and apply to balding areas by rubbing it in.
Then apply emu oil and a GLA oil like evening primrose or black currant oil in your palm about a nickle to quater sized amount again, dab your finger into it and apply to balding areas.
Last step is to then wet your scalp a little bit more with your hands with water and then apply more peppermint oil to your scalp, but this time all over the top of your scalp, massage for a couple minutes then start your shower and try to rinse this out last so it has a little time to sit. If in a rush do not make this a chore as I find people then skip doing it at all. So even if it only sits a minute or so still do it. Some is better then none.

Dermapen, I use the derminator 2, a roller is fine but not as good for your skin. The length varys from 1 to 1.5mm for most people as the perfect length. Some peoples scalp skin is abit to thin for a 1.5 in the hairline area but generally never the crown. Microneedle the whole scalp is preffered and is quiet easy with a dermapen. If it is a chore balding areas only is fine but it is a amazing preventative with immense results. Microneedle once to twice a week. Once a week is better but twice if really lazy is still able to produce results.

Supplements;
Oral GLA supplement such as evening primrose oil or black currant oil, 3g of either.
Vitamin E supplement, all 8 forms is best such as new roots brand, 400iu a day.
Pumpkin seeds 4-6 tablespoons a day or pumpking seed oil/softgels.
Taurine powder, 2g x2 day. For fiborisis of scalp.
Ensure adeqaute healthy fats rich in LA, seasme, sunflower are great choices.

There is a whole diet component I am sure youve seen me write about before. Focusing on getting all nutrients, I have a document I can send or maybe list here. As before I focused on restoring alot of low nutrients, many low in balding men but put together dietary advice instead to ensure all nutrients are met.

I’m not a fan of potato’s while bulking as rice is just easier appetite wise, what are your thoughts on using Morton’s lite salt for it which is half sodium and half potassium, usually put 2-3g of that on each meal

Writing fast to get to all replies ignore my typos please.

HATE it, horrid. One we need salt in our diet for endless purposes, insulin sensitivity, fatloss,pump you name it. Proper metabolism, control prolactin, list goes on.

So what happens when we use lite salt? aka potassium chloride, we are now intakign the SALT we need, aka sodium chloride, which should always be in a very spef ratio,, that of salt, we then go and add potassium CHLORIDE, with the sodium chloride we just effectively doubled our chloride intake to sodium. High BP dehydration whole list of very negative health parameters can now occur.

So absolutely hate it. You need to supplement potassium.. use potassium citrate or gluconate. Even then still hate it. Because we supplement one nutrient we throw off 20 others and vice versa. High potassium can lower mag and cal..normal levels help mag and cal, but too high can actually drop them.High pot also depletes vitamin d and list goes on. Everything should be in balance and I hatefocusing on just one nutrient as it always throws many other things off.

So my answer to you is, find the foods you enjoy the most that have the nutrients you need which will also have many other nutrients that'll help muscle growth and more . One of my favorite foods is tomatoes, 350mg one medium tomatoes and I find it speeds most peoples digestion in a good way. PLUS tomatoes is one of my favorite pump foods. Way better then any pre workout. Anyone I've ever had use tomatoes swears by it now. Including 1st place powerlifter world wide I got onto it now cannot workout with it. Soon as he drops it he feels insanely weaker. Tomatoe juice to be exact here FYI, As has little extra sodium too but were mainly using it for potassium and nitrates.Potassium not sure if covered in the article but we require a VERY spef number of potassium to carbs for proper glycogen storage. Same as we do water. So intake all water and carbs you want, don't get potassium you wont store that extra glycogen. Why many guys shoot way up in weight soon as I get more potassium in their diet without altering carbs or water.

Thanks for the article. A few questions:

*What's your ideal number for glucose levels 2 and 3 hours after a meal?

*Do you recommend fructose and glucose with each meal when adding the fast acting insulin?

* Do you still recommend a fast acting insulin with a meal that only contains protein and fats?

* What are your specific preferred fat sources to use while using slin?

*Could you talk some more about upping potassium and getting thicker as well as gaining weight? Do you recommend a potassium supplement for it? What food sources are best? What specific amount of daily pottasium would you suggest?

Every single meal fructose plus glucose, BUT remember fructose doesn't need to be as high as glucose, focus on glucose then just a couple grams of glucose is fine. Such as a small piece of fruit. And yes Id do it every meal regardless, you want optimal glycogen storage right.

Fast acting on protein fats only,you can just have to alter your dose but no. I don't like this type of bulking either myself.

FAt sources bulking or cutting, Focus on PUFA fats,I have a PUFA article I can share if interested showing how majority of the weight gain added was almost entirely muscle with pufa fats vs saturated fats giving mostly fat gain. And saturated fats across the board almost always worsen insulin sensitivity where as pufa fats enahnce insulin sensitivity.

So what happens when we use lite salt? aka potassium chloride, we are now intakign the SALT we need, aka sodium chloride, which should always be in a very spef ratio,, that of salt, we then go and add potassium CHLORIDE, with the sodium chloride we just effectively doubled our chloride intake to sodium. High BP dehydration whole list of very negative health parameters can now occur.

So absolutely hate it. You need to supplement potassium.. use potassium citrate or gluconate. Even then still hate it. Because we supplement one nutrient we throw off 20 others and vice versa. High potassium can lower mag and cal..normal levels help mag and cal, but too high can actually drop them.High pot also depletes vitamin d and list goes on. Everything should be in balance and I hatefocusing on just one nutrient as it always throws many other things off.

So my answer to you is, find the foods you enjoy the most that have the nutrients you need which will also have many other nutrients that'll help muscle growth and more . One of my favorite foods is tomatoes, 350mg one medium tomatoes and I find it speeds most peoples digestion in a good way. PLUS tomatoes is one of my favorite pump foods. Way better then any pre workout. Anyone I've ever had use tomatoes swears by it now. Including 1st place powerlifter world wide I got onto it now cannot workout with it. Soon as he drops it he feels insanely weaker. Tomatoe juice to be exact here FYI, As has little extra sodium too but were mainly using it for potassium and nitrates.Potassium not sure if covered in the article but we require a VERY spef number of potassium to carbs for proper glycogen storage. Same as we do water. So intake all water and carbs you want, don't get potassium you wont store that extra glycogen. Why many guys shoot way up in weight soon as I get more potassium in their diet without altering carbs or water.

let me copy and paste my reply above about potassium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear