advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you avoid alcohol when you crave it?

The Striated One

Registered
I have this bad habit of getting absolutely smashed one day a week and I don't have an explanation why!!

I tell myself I'm not gonna drink then find myself pulling up to a liquor store disgusted with myself. I'm not gonna lie I do enjoy myself while I'm drinking but end up paying for it with bad decision making and throwing a weeks worth of training and good diet out the door.

I can control myself M-F, it's the Saturday I have off when I tend to have this problem.

Suggestions are welcomed if you guys could give me some advice on how you avoid the drink when you crave it.

Thank You

1. Willpower- is the ability to exert one's will over one's actions

2. Self control, the ability of a person to exert his/her will over the inhibitions of their body or self

Rather than finding yourself pulling up to a liquor store, find yourself doing something else with your time.

Couple of tricks I use:
1) Keep my mind busy with something else. Many times people drink when they are bored and looking for "entertainment"
2) My cravings tend to come later in the evening, so I go to bed.

1. Willpower- is the ability to exert one's will over one's actions

2. Self control, the ability of a person to exert his/her will over the inhibitions of their body or self

Rather than finding yourself pulling up to a liquor store, find yourself doing something else with your time.

I agree 100%, but easier said than done for me unfortunately.

Sometimes I can go for a few weeks, but then an event will come up(party) or I'll just find my self extremely bored with drinking as an easy cop out.

I'm recently single so that is definatley not helping, and when I go out to mingle with woman a couple of drinks normally helps with the nerves.

Another problem is that the majority of my friends drink which is not an excuse but when I'm around them watching football, going out to eat, etc., drinking just becomes part of the norm for everyone.

I guess I'm just asking if there are any activities or methods use guys use to help cope when you want or are around alcohol.

Thanks

Last edited:
Couple of tricks I use:
1) Keep my mind busy with something else. Many times people drink when they are bored and looking for "entertainment"
2) My cravings tend to come later in the evening, so I go to bed.

Thanks Bro,

I definatley try to keep my mind busy but as you said that "bored" thing is hard to deal with at times especially since I'm recently single.

Saturday's your day off? And you end up drinking the day away?

Forget willpower, forget self control - find yourself something to do!

Pick up a hobby, volunteer, learn ballroom dancing, rock climbing, anything. Something that you do on Saturday night / afternoon so that you aren't bored. It doesn't have to be all day long event, just something to kill the boredom that is driving you towards drinking as a "filler" event.

Just try to pick something that you interact with people and that you are interested in. If you can't think of anything, then volunteer somewhere because there are a lot of good organizations that need help.

Getting smashed daily/weekly, once in a while, or just once in a long time can/will lead to more(TRUST ME)...We all try to self medicate...Once it's gone past a certain point(or even before) we need to realize what's going on and deal with underlying issues...other than that, we need to stay on that sin curve of emotions because once you hit that euphoria of a high there's going to be the low...And that 'low' can end up Super Low real quick right before your eyes...

Last edited:

Pick up a hobby, volunteer, learn ballroom dancing, rock climbing, anything. Something that you do on Saturday night / afternoon so that you aren't bored. It doesn't have to be all day long event, just something to kill the boredom that is driving you towards drinking as a "filler" event.

Just try to pick something that you interact with people and that you are interested in. If you can't think of anything, then volunteer somewhere because there are a lot of good organizations that need help.

I agree and I appreciate your suggestions. Lifting weights is my passion (followed by watching the NFL and UFC of course:D ) but I do need and will find something positive to do with myself outside of the gym.

I've just gotten in this rut and disgusting pattern of mine and like you said utilize my energy and time more poductively!

Getting smashed daily/weekly, once in a while, or just once in a long time can/will lead to more(TRUST ME)...We all try to self medicate...Once it's gone past a certain point(or even before) we need to realize what's going on and deal with underlying issues...other than that, we need to stay on that sin curve of emotions because once you hit that euphoria of a high there's going to be the low...And that 'low' can end up Super Low real quick right before your eyes...

Well Said and I do realize alot of what you said, and in truth I often think about it as Im drinking which is the sad thing..........I guess willpower and respect for myself is what I need to improve before it's too late.

Thanks

If its an actualy "physical" craving thats almost unbearable why not plan a weekly cheat meal to fall on the day (saturday night) when drinking usually occurs. That way when the bros come over to watch college football or you go out somewhere a pizza or something will fill your gut and make you feel bloated that the sight of alcohol will make you hurl

Saturday is your day off. It is probably because you have nothing to do that day that you resort to alcohol as an escape from boredom. Find an activity for yourself on that day, and keep busy.

Exactly!

for me will power didnt work.

get your doc to prescribe some anti-anxiety meds and take them only as prescribed and only when the urge to drink becomes too much.

im doing it and its working for me.

or, you could get some otc sleeping pills and pop them early in the day, so by the time you get home, your about to crash.

What is helpful to me in such situations is serious contemplation of the consequences. That usually allows me to make a better decision.

"How do you avoid alcohol when you crave it?"
Another way to ask it is "How much will power do you have and how do you muster it"? That is different for everyone depending on circumstance. Learn how to be strong. Find power in something greater than yourself and you will be off to a good start.

ask yourself some things...

What is more important to you? A pump? A good workout? That lift or high you get walking around the gym? Do you like looking good/feeling good?
Or...do you like getting piss drunk. Do you like to be drunk more? Which do you like the most. You have to honestly ask yourself...not us.

I think what everyone is saying is just that you need to find something else to give you the high and the thrill instead of just going out and getting plowed. I realise that it can take some imagination because in some areas there's just not a whole lot to do except get buzzed.

It doesn't sound like you have a habitual problem as much as something arising out of boredom or simply the need to get a thrill or party it up.

Try alternating soda, drink, soda, drink or something. Then maybe you can cut your consumption down. There's no really easy answer here.

You just have to get to a place where it's just not that fun anymore and that will be the end of it.

I think you have to just have a bit of a lifestyle change, pick up a new hobby, get different friends...Ill tell ya, when i quit drinking 8 yrs ago, you would be amazed at how my social life changed...At first i wasnt to happy, but i now realize it was for the better, i used to have a dozen places i was invited to by wednesday for the wknd...Now i get a couple per month, i guess my social friends werent, real friends...I am a much happier and satisfied person now with my new hobies, and new friends....Of course i now have a solid relationship with an amazing lady....I wouldnt have this today had i continued on drinking and being a one night special bar-guy....
It takes willpower and adjustment, but once it works and you find your groove, you wont look back...

BTW, glutamimne is a great supplement for curbing cravings...ie alcohol as well as sugars etc..
Good luck bro, start with one saturday no drinking and take it from there....
Peace

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner