over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Friendly advice

PHIL HERNON

Banned
Many not agree with me but here goes........when clients hit a plateau, they want me to change the workout routine. Making gains is not about the routine IF you are not over training. Breaking plateaus is about DIET AND SUPPLEMENTATON. It is like looking in a mirror and telling your reflection that it needs to twist and contort to change........change an angle, change the way the mirror is held. It is not the reflection that needs to change, it is the person holding the mirror. Your diet and supplementation is YOU,the person holding the mirror......... your workout poundages is the reflection of what YOU changed............I hope this saves you guys some time.

question for you- how often did you change your exercises,sets,rep range in your competition years?

mad respect to you cause ur a pro but this pretty much goes against everything i have ever read about breaking plateus

"I do not think its about that.........a diet is there to support your muscle growth while keeping you lean............if you are looking to increase lean mass it must be from training/hormone manipulation. Do not expect more from a diet than it can realisticaly give you..........use it wisely for what it is intended for. "

So which is it?

mad respect to you cause ur a pro but this pretty much goes against everything i have ever read about breaking plateus

Read Big A's article for beginners.

He says the basic routine stays the same..

"but if you want variety, small changes as using DB's
instead of BB or doing flat presses and incline flyes
for example, is more than enough variety to keep the
muscle 'confused'."

I follow this, and add weight.

Look at your body like a car.... If you're already on a low to moderate volume, HEAVY, basic training routine that's perfectly optimal for you, then you have the best driving force for change in that routine, a.k.a. the engine. The only thing you can do to an engine is add more fuel for combusion, or maybe some nitrous (drugs). DC said it best while creating his routine. He said that basically the only thing that offers constant progression in the weight room is the amount of weight that you use. You don't change from BB Back squats, Hacks, or leg press, over to leg extensions or lunges, just because you hit a small plateau. Throw in extra protien and a bit more sleep and voila.

I think to many people want to progress to fast and add to much weight to fast instead of progressing slowly. I like to add very small amounts when hitting plateau. This can be ounces not pounds. They can be washers or magnetic weights added to the weights. Over a period of time it adds up to pounds but in a slow manner. I first learned of this from one of the the most sensible trainers out their Stuart McRobert. But like Phil says it can be as little as i diet/supp change.

I always tray to add bit volume, change angels when I hit plateau...It works but really not that much....

So yes, I agree with phil...

Many not agree with me but here goes........when clients hit a plateau, they want me to change the workout routine. Making gains is not about the routine IF you are not over training. Breaking plateaus is about DIET AND SUPPLEMENTATON. It is like looking in a mirror and telling your reflection that it needs to twist and contort to change........change an angle, change the way the mirror is held. It is not the reflection that needs to change, it is the person holding the mirror. Your diet and supplementation is YOU,the person holding the mirror......... your workout poundages is the reflection of what YOU changed............I hope this saves you guys some time.
I agree with Phil here....If you think he is wrong, gain 20 lbs in bodyweight and then tell us your stronger or not stronger..I'll help you with the answer..you'll be a lot stronger.

Yep, this does help! In the past, I found myself trying to change up my routine. Thanks for the confirmation!

I'm not one of Phil clients, but doing what he posted is what has gotten the best gains of my life. And yes I'm alot stronger. Workouts are the least of my worries. Training at 100% will only get you so far.

Well

"I do not think its about that.........a diet is there to support your muscle growth while keeping you lean............if you are looking to increase lean mass it must be from training/hormone manipulation. Do not expect more from a diet than it can realisticaly give you..........use it wisely for what it is intended for. "

So which is it?

It is both.......Diet supports the training.......supplement manipulation builds the muscles with proper training......never change the training
" skeleton" .....change the diet and supplementation, not the training routine as long as you are not over training. Now, if you are NOT training correctly, you must change it........but I was referring to MY training routine,what I put my clients on........ not yours for instance..........apples and oranges.

Question for you phil,

I knew you just change the training frequency of your clinet, so don't you think that may help for breaking hitting plateau a bit?

Well

Question for you phil,

I knew you just change the training frequency of your clinet, so don't you think that may help for breaking hitting plateau a bit?

Frequency depends upon workload......you have to find what works for you as my client........I give you a few options......but do not change it to break a plateau........stick with it to break a plateau.

I agree with Phil. For example, I competed at NPC Nationals at the end of November, and let me also explain that my routine doesn't change during my pre-contest. At Nationals I was at 173lbs on Saturday night of Finals, and I'm at 190lbs now. After a month and a half I've been able to break a barrier of weight lifting that i couldn't break before I even started my pre-contest diet. Most will say they get weak while pre-contest, and I totally disagree as I stay pushing the same amount of weight as off-season, and yeah maybe on my last 2 weeks before a show I do change my workout a bit, but that's only to look for a bit more depth in the muscle.

My point is that I've been able to break my plateau by just changing my diet and supplementation!

Who here has added 50+ lbs to their lifts just by switching from BBs to DBs...or going from dips to skull crushers when they hit a plateau, but leaving diet, rest, and supplementation the same?

Who here has added 50+ lbs to their lifts just by switching from BBs to DBs...or going from dips to skull crushers when they hit a plateau, but leaving diet, rest, and supplementation the same?

By the silence of the posts, looks like no one! I think it's almost impossible without changing your diet, rest, and supplementation, and may I add some pinneaple juice! lol!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ndsabvra
NapsGear