over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Industry Advice

R3aper7

Newbies
I’m considering slowly transitioning from my career as a union bridge painter into Personal training. I know there are quite a few trainers/coaches on the forum and I was looking for advice.

How critical is obtaining a cert in the industry? If so is NASCM the preferred certification?

How realistic do you guys think it would be to train part time to start (evenings/weekends)?

The trainers in commercial gyms seem to typically earn small amounts per client, do you think this would be a necessary starting point?

Do you find this field to be lucrative?

I’m hoping a discussion could generate additional questions/concerns I haven’t even considered. Any other advice is much appreciated!

You will most likely have to gain experience working at commercial gyms, which pay very little. So just remember that. You could do it part time I guess as you build knowledge and a client base. Also, those same commercial gyms won’t hire you unless you have a cert from somewhere.

Union job, soooo much better and way more financially rewarding in the end
I actually agree here, however bridge painting is essentially lead abatement (as well as cadmium, arsenic, and hexvalent chromium) through sandblasting. And also of all the different paints and solvents were exposed to, it’s rather unhealthy over time. Most of the guys plan to transition out of it, it’s a young man’s trade (there are no women doing bridge work currently). There’s actually a documentary about it on Netflix called bridge brothers, I worked on that bridge they filmed with the company the documentary is about but I wasn’t in the video.

You will most likely have to gain experience working at commercial gyms, which pay very little. So just remember that. You could do it part time I guess as you build knowledge and a client base. Also, those same commercial gyms won’t hire you unless you have a cert from somewhere.
Yeah I kind of figured this. I’m rather knowledgable (though maybe not in comparison to this extremely knowledgeable group) in regards to nutrition, training, cycles, supplementation etc. but I guess my scope of knowledge would kind of be limited to bodybuilding, and strength development, not working with the general population who seemingly are just looking to move.

Think long term...............not worrying about retirement is also a young man's trade..........
I have no idea what health safety measures are in place for your current job but there must be.
There seems to be 10 trainers for every person that wants to hire one. Unless you're well known or other-worldly knowledgeable how do you plan to stand out? Or do you just want to make ends mee? If you're young with minimal responsibilities then go for it but think about 20-30-40 years in the future.
I retired. Not because I made a ton of money, it was very good but not great, it had a great pension plan. Now I work 20 hours a week with summers off just to get out of the house. Some of my co-workers are in their 70's working 40 hours a week to pay their bills.
Food for thought.

I’m considering slowly transitioning from my career as a union bridge painter into Personal training. I know there are quite a few trainers/coaches on the forum and I was looking for advice.

How critical is obtaining a cert in the industry? If so is NASCM the preferred certification?

How realistic do you guys think it would be to train part time to start (evenings/weekends)?

The trainers in commercial gyms seem to typically earn small amounts per client, do you think this would be a necessary starting point?

Do you find this field to be lucrative?

I’m hoping a discussion could generate additional questions/concerns I haven’t even considered. Any other advice is much appreciated!
There’s no money in personal training.

Can you earn a good living “coaching” absolutely. But you’ll need a roster for that and/or look the part year round to attract the right guys.

The personal trainers that work for gyms in my area make about minimum wage. And some do not allow any other type of trainers. To make decent money one seems to need to be at he right gym where there is more cash to spend and they are certified but even more important they have a track record of accomplishing something.

I have owned a coaching/supp since 2013. First year I had to come out with very low pricing and beat out all competitors and offer amenities beyond what competitors offered. My company blew up, having grown up in my city and being the first local person to venture into coaching, openly on social media, before anyone in north county sd- the few that got started with me in 2012 are still hanging in there (contemporaries).I have had to' innovate, release and design supplements, promote myself (I worked hard to be featured on FOX, in UNION TRIBUNE, NC TIMES, CBS) and via UFC /USADA and bellator (through clients I worked hard to go out and meet and sponsor) I had to go out and solicit these pro athletes and celebrities ( I have a few actors now in Hollywood ) and convince them I can offer them something nobody else can. Its slow rn, luckily my bread and butter unique supplement I designed in 2012 that I have received most press and grossed most income for still sells itself. But I have had to learn CPANEL of WORDPRESS and SHOPIFY , CANVA , ad campaigns, door to door advertising with business owners , etc. it has been fun, but certainly times of struggle

2015-2018 I was grossing 200k per year with my feet up in upscale apartment all my company legit , battling drug addiction meanwhile for the next few years then DEA raid completely flat lined my company. Its been a rebuilding process ever since but I am still pushing and making moves.

supplement industry is all about pretty labels, you can get a movement going locally and rack up $$$ at least for a few years if you capitalize on an actual MOVEMENT

being in serious relationships back to back did not help my focus or drive, me spiraling out was always a results of this

I'll drop this here for young guys thinking similarly:

If you're serious about bodybuilding then find a career that pays really well - aka not personal training or anything in the industry.

Bodybuilding can be quite expensive if you take it all the way - plenty of quality food, health supplements, PEDs, gym memberships, etc. A big part of the reason I've been able to go so far with bodybuilding is my career and lifestyle let me basically put as much money as I want into it.

Besides the financial aspect there's the lifestyle aspect. I work in corporate for one of the big banks everyone knows and I work from home most days. I can sleep in until 5 minutes before my first meeting, I can cook whenever I need to, I can hit the gym at 3:30PM to beat the after work rush, etc.

If you want to maximize your bodybuilding then set up your life so it's the priority.

If you're serious about bodybuilding then find a career that pays really well - aka not personal training or anything in the industry.

Bodybuilding can be quite expensive if you take it all the way - plenty of quality food, health supplements, PEDs, gym memberships, etc. A big part of the reason I've been able to go so far with bodybuilding is my career and lifestyle let me basically put as much money as I want into it.

Besides the financial aspect there's the lifestyle aspect. I work in corporate for one of the big banks everyone knows and I work from home most days. I can sleep in until 5 minutes before my first meeting, I can cook whenever I need to, I can hit the gym at 3:30PM to beat the after work rush, etc.

If you want to maximize your bodybuilding then set up your life so it's the priority.
Just wanted to add being single helps a lot too… Unless your significant other is 100% supportive. That can be hard to come by though since serious bodybuilding can consume large portions of one’s life. So stay single if you want to avoid headaches and drama!!!!

Cage

I have to agree with the other guys.
Is there another trade with your experience you can slide into without the same health risks ?

he nailed it folks. this is the real blueprint, and required flexibility to live out this quest full blast

Think long term...............not worrying about retirement is also a young man's trade..........
I have no idea what health safety measures are in place for your current job but there must be.
There seems to be 10 trainers for every person that wants to hire one. Unless you're well known or other-worldly knowledgeable how do you plan to stand out? Or do you just want to make ends mee? If you're young with minimal responsibilities then go for it but think about 20-30-40 years in the future.
I retired. Not because I made a ton of money, it was very good but not great, it had a great pension plan. Now I work 20 hours a week with summers off just to get out of the house. Some of my co-workers are in their 70's working 40 hours a week to pay their bills.
Food for thought.
There are health measure, some jobs much looser than others. However, insurance and retirement benefits have me anchored, as being a father of three these are critical. Which was why I was thinking about dipping my toes, and trying it part time for a while until things got rolling. But ultimately I agree, the stability of my family comes first 👍

There are health measure, some jobs much looser than others. However, insurance and retirement benefits have me anchored, as being a father of three these are critical. Which was why I was thinking about dipping my toes, and trying it part time for a while until things got rolling. But ultimately I agree, the stability of my family comes first 👍
brother i believe you have what it takes to make this reality. just ease into it and babysteps, specifically dedicate X amount of time per week to build your craft, family always #1 priority, and I must say I am impressed at your response, fathers like you are rare now days . salute homey

I have owned a coaching/supp since 2013. First year I had to come out with very low pricing and beat out all competitors and offer amenities beyond what competitors offered. My company blew up, having grown up in my city and being the first local person to venture into coaching, openly on social media, before anyone in north county sd- the few that got started with me in 2012 are still hanging in there (contemporaries).I have had to' innovate, release and design supplements, promote myself (I worked hard to be featured on FOX, in UNION TRIBUNE, NC TIMES, CBS) and via UFC /USADA and bellator (through clients I worked hard to go out and meet and sponsor) I had to go out and solicit these pro athletes and celebrities ( I have a few actors now in Hollywood ) and convince them I can offer them something nobody else can. Its slow rn, luckily my bread and butter unique supplement I designed in 2012 that I have received most press and grossed most income for still sells itself. But I have had to learn CPANEL of WORDPRESS and SHOPIFY , CANVA , ad campaigns, door to door advertising with business owners , etc. it has been fun, but certainly times of struggle

2015-2018 I was grossing 200k per year with my feet up in upscale apartment all my company legit , battling drug addiction meanwhile for the next few years then DEA raid completely flat lined my company. Its been a rebuilding process ever since but I am still pushing and making moves.

supplement industry is all about pretty labels, you can get a movement going locally and rack up $$$ at least for a few years if you capitalize on an actual MOVEMENT

being in serious relationships back to back did not help my focus or drive, me spiraling out was always a results of this
You’ve built quite a career for yourself man, congratulations on your hard work and success! I’m in a wealthy suburb of a major city. I see there’s a lot of opportunity, and even though I’m confident I can successfully help people meet their health/fitness goals, there’s a lingering fear of failure. I guess that’s just the name of the game though.

brother i believe you have what it takes to make this reality. just ease into it and babysteps, specifically dedicate X amount of time per week to build your craft, family always #1 priority, and I must say I am impressed at your response, fathers like you are rare now days . salute homey
Thanks man! Much appreciated 🦾🦾🦾

I have to agree with the other guys.
Is there another trade with your experience you can slide into without the same health risks ?
It’s really a niche industry, it’s a rather small community in this trade. The closest I guess would be interior painting as we spray regularly. Painting steel is really a simple concept with rather complicated very industry specific applications. Sandblasting, rigging, spraying, building containments etc. it’s a very strange and unique occupation. The work is actually kind of cool and exciting, just very dangerous and unhealthy at quite a lot of hours at times (up to 84 hours/week).

When I was in contest prep last summer I was about 2 weeks out and collapsed at work. I just had nothing left in me, I physically couldn’t do the work. I had put so much into the prep though and I was so close I decided to take the last two weeks off. My wife was heated, she still talks about it. Im 37 so it’s not too late to transition into something else. Im just looking 10 years down the road I’d love to put this in my rear view.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
danicatrainestapp
NapsGear