over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

10 year old quad tendon tear finally repaired

upeccmi

Registered
I am 49 YO, been bodybuilding since I was 14, competed for 9 years. I fell trying to move a smith machine at the gym 10 years ago and was told at the time I had a partial ACL and partial quad tear. It was braced up for 6 weeks and I rehabbed it and back to heavy workouts. I broke my ankle a several years ago in that leg and also had an MRI done on that leg and was told there was no ACL tear but a complete Quad tear. Every Ortho I went to told me there was nothing I could do about it now. Anyway, I started having severe back issues in December and the nerve damage weakened the quad more, up to now I was still able to do a decent amount on the leg press, walking was weird as I would limp and sometimes my leg would buckle and fall. I went to a doctor in NYC (hospital for special surgery) and he said he could fix my old quad tear. I had the surgery on Saturday and now healing, he actually was prepared to use a cadaver tendon but was actually able to free up my tendon and reattach it (good news). I am writing this as I have many friends in the past who have torn pecs and others tendons and now regret not doing the surgery. This gives them hope in getting it fixed as I also looked for examples of this possibility. My doctor seems confident this will heal and I can get back to bodybuilding, let just hope he is correct.

Congratulations, I wish you the best for your recovery.

That is great you had that repaired after so much time had passed. Even better they used your own tendon! I had a bi-lateral quad tendon rupture years ago and that is a big injury to get around. Sounds like you found a great doc and I vote with him that you will have a complete recovery. Just be very patient and let that happen. Thanks for sharing.

Wow Brick, I couldn't imagine having both done at the same time, you either had some great help or had to go into a facility to take care of your needs. I have a bad fray in the other quad that I was told would need to be cut, cleaned up and reattached when I am ready. Im taking a little GH to help with the recovery now, how long until you got back to the gym? I tore my tricep tendon a few years ago and 8 weeks I was back, I considered that one as a good surgery as all my elbow pain was gone after that and I was actually stronger in that arm.

Damn Upeccmi

Thats awesome you had success with ur quad. Ur still a young kid so give it time to heal well and get back after it when all is good.. pro

Hello, I have a question that I don't think anyone other than seasoned lifters can answer.
After I tore my quad, the roll up wasn't far and I was told after surgery, the tendon was just sitting there encapsulated in scar tissue. I did have atrophy in that quad which I hated but lived with for all these years. Now that its fixed, I am hoping I can (eventually) bring all that atrophy back to look like a bodybuilders leg should look like (or close for my age). I am just not sure if this is possible seeing the long time not being attached.

BTW....I am 8 weeks post surgery and just started pt, so concentration is on ROM and not strength yet. I know I have a long road ahead but I am trying to stay optimistic for a full recovery.

Thanks!!!

I wanted to update my journey with this quad tear. So over 4 years later, I am still buckling and actually fell yesterday walking my dog in the street. I went to a respected (new) Ortho today about this as you can guess I am very frustrated being told for 4 years, I needed to rehab this more.
Doctor looked at my MRI and said my quad tendon was loose and my first 15% would just let go and then catch, so I was still walking stiff legged all this time.
He suggested I have another surgery where they will graph and tighten up the tendon (8 more weeks in a brace). At 53, I am afraid if I don't do it, I will fall when I get real old and break something.

I wanted to update my journey with this quad tear. So over 4 years later, I am still buckling and actually fell yesterday walking my dog in the street. I went to a respected (new) Ortho today about this as you can guess I am very frustrated being told for 4 years, I needed to rehab this more.
Doctor looked at my MRI and said my quad tendon was loose and my first 15% would just let go and then catch, so I was still walking stiff legged all this time.
He suggested I have another surgery where they will graph and tighten up the tendon (8 more weeks in a brace). At 53, I am afraid if I don't do it, I will fall when I get real old and break something.

Is it buckling from above the knee where the quad tendon is attached or close to the knee?

If you have no ACL, that will also contribute to the unstable leg, but it sounds like it's above that.

Well I dont know you but that put a smile on my face bro.

The use of cadavers, stem cell treatments, and other various forms of surgical reparation are a blessing to many.

Its even better that you didnt have to resort to any of that though and you got reattached. No worry of your body not accepting the foreign cells.

Have a speedy recovery. I hope you get to partake in the activities you had to give up once again.

thanks for the update. please continue. you give some of us walking wounded hope. good luck!

I am in the exact same situation, with the exact same 15% slack. The thought of going through the whole process again is terrifying. My ortho wants to put a steel rod OUTSIDE my leg attached to my shin and quad so there is no way to tense the repaired tendon during recovery. I'm a couple years older than you and my surgery was done in 2011. I have learned to adapt to the slack but worry as I get older that falling and/or near misses will be way more common...

Not my quad but I had my L achilles replaced after two ruptures in eight weeks. They made it too long and now, not only do I have a limp, half my calf is missing and I can't contract it properly so my R hip stays out of alignment. I stumble and trip constantly. Freaking sucks. After 8 years of this I'd consider the surgery if they could fix it.

I ruptured my quad tendon in June 2002...I had surgery 3 days later...there was no way I could walk without the brace I was given in the emergency room that supported the injury...how were you able to walk with your quad no longer attached to your knee?...

Dave, I broke my ankle at the same time and on crutches for 8 months, so when I started walking again, I was falling on certain steps but overall it was ok.

TS... did he call it an external fixator (something like that?). I had three screwed into my shin when I broke my ankle, the bones collapsed and they had to re-lengthen it with bone cement. I am also seriously consider doing this tendon repair surgery (again) as I too am afraid of falling and breaking something when older and more frail. I'm also sick of thinking about every step I take when walking so it doesn't let go on me

Thinker...My ACL is fine. The ortho says the quad tendon has slack and not tightening until 15% so he would use a graft it to tighten it up.

I also ruptured my quad tendon, aka patella tendon. with a full ruptured quad tendon there ia no using that leg until it’s repaired.

Damn how do so many of you rupture quad tendons. Ive had patella tendonitis for ever. It worries me that im going to be squatting one day and that things just going to let loose.

Edit: my tendonitis is below the knee. When the quad tendon ruptures its usually above the knee, correct?

I also ruptured my quad tendon, aka patella tendon. with a full ruptured quad tendon there ia no using that leg until it’s repaired.

I was leg pressing over 1000 lbs for high reps with the quad tendon still torn (prior to the surgery 4 years ago. I would not have had it reattached if it wasn't for my back issues weakening the leg. Mine was a complete rupture and other than limping when walking, you wouldn't have known it.
Most get the surgery as soon as its torn, but if it heals up, it is managable.

Damn how do so many of you rupture quad tendons. Ive had patella tendonitis for ever. It worries me that im going to be squatting one day and that things just going to let loose.

Edit: my tendonitis is below the knee. When the quad tendon ruptures its usually above the knee, correct?
The patella tendon is above the knee cap (also called the patellar) and below it.

I have ruptured my patella tendons 3 times below the knee cap. 2 at the same time and one was ruptured by my PT during rehab.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws