advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A couple questions about low-carbs and training.

Kaizer Soze

Registered
Just getting back into training after a way too long hiatus and trying to regain some lost knowledge. Right now I'm trying to shed as many pounds as possible because I look and feel like shit, so I'm doing tons of cardio, eating very low carb (<100g a day), and just trying to regain my strength (I feel weak as a little girl right now). So anyway I have a few questions regarding my diet and training I'm hoping to get resolved, here goes:

1. I know that you should take in carbs along with your protein after lifting, would those carbs be detrimental to my dieting or should I start taking in the carbs again for that post-workout protein fix?

2. I do an hour of cardio every morning before breakfast, would it be damaging to have a coffee w/ skim milk and Splenda, or is that OK?

3. It's been about a year and a half since I stopped lifting, now I'm back into it about a week and I'm lifting about 1/3rd of what I was working with when I stopped, about how long (I'm guessing a few months at least) will it be before I'm back to where I was strengthwise?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Kaizer Soze said:
Just getting back into training after a way too long hiatus and trying to regain some lost knowledge. Right now I'm trying to shed as many pounds as possible because I look and feel like shit, so I'm doing tons of cardio, eating very low carb (<100g a day), and just trying to regain my strength (I feel weak as a little girl right now). So anyway I have a few questions regarding my diet and training I'm hoping to get resolved, here goes:

1. I know that you should take in carbs along with your protein after lifting, would those carbs be detrimental to my dieting or should I start taking in the carbs again for that post-workout protein fix?

2. I do an hour of cardio every morning before breakfast, would it be damaging to have a coffee w/ skim milk and Splenda, or is that OK?

3. It's been about a year and a half since I stopped lifting, now I'm back into it about a week and I'm lifting about 1/3rd of what I was working with when I stopped, about how long (I'm guessing a few months at least) will it be before I'm back to where I was strengthwise?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Ok
1. Yes you need fast acting carbs to replenish your glycogen stores and blunt cortisol and take advantage of your anabolic window post workout. As long as you dont overdo it, your body cant put on bodyfat before it replenishes the glycogen stores of the depleated muscle. Id say your safe with 50-75g maltodextrine/dextrose mix along with whey.

2. No cream or milk. Suck it up, have some splenda in your BLACK coffee along with 10g glutamine.

3. Gaining strength dieting is tough. Use everything at your disposal. Take creatine ethyl ester pre and post workout (itl also help boost endurance) for recovery. Take 1-2g tyrosine pre-workout/cardio for enhanced concentration focus and drive. Your workouts will be 10x better. Use stimulants of your choice pre-cardio/workout also to give you that KICK you need (my fave 25mg ephedrine, 200mg caffein). Yohimbe also works wonders for fat loss. You can also take a small DURING workout simple carb (dextrose) shake with BCAA's and Glutamine in it which will REALLY help fuel ur workout and give you great pumps and a better kick. Im only talkin 25-30g dextrose tho and make sure its loaded with water and you only SIP it, if the shake isnt thin itl draw blood to ur stomach and away from your muscles for digestion.

What should the dosage be for the BCAA's and Glutamine for the shake I drink during the workout? Also would it be detrimental for muscle growth to do some post-workout cardio?

Kaizer Soze said:
What should the dosage be for the BCAA's and Glutamine for the shake I drink during the workout? Also would it be detrimental for muscle growth to do some post-workout cardio?

BCAA's ur good with 5-10g, same with glutamine. YES pw cardio is detremental if your trying to GROW while leaning out. If your just trying to maintain, then it wont hurt.

Right now I'm more concerned with shedding the bodyfat but I would like to regain my strength as well so I'll lay off the PW cardio. Instead of the PW cardio session would it be alright to do some cardio prior to going to bed or is that still overkill?

Kaizer Soze said:
Right now I'm more concerned with shedding the bodyfat but I would like to regain my strength as well so I'll lay off the PW cardio. Instead of the PW cardio session would it be alright to do some cardio prior to going to bed or is that still overkill?

if your lookin to shed bodyfat, BEST time no question and staple of every bodybuilders regimine is cardio on empty stomach as soon as u wake up.

I ment in addition to that, I do an hour (about 6 miles) every morning as soon as I wake up. Also friends have been suggesting NO2 as well, what does that do and should I take that along with the other supplementation you suggested?

Kaizer Soze said:
I ment in addition to that, I do an hour (about 6 miles) every morning as soon as I wake up. Also friends have been suggesting NO2 as well, what does that do and should I take that along with the other supplementation you suggested?

NO2 couldnt hurt pre-workout for a boost. No more additional cardio needed, just be consistent and get on a good diet.

It's a fine line you'll be walking with the cardio and lifting. Cardio is great for a fast weight loss - especially early AM on an empty stomach, as you know. But, in the long term, the best way to stay in shape permanently is to add muscle to your frame which will consume calories for maintenance throughout the day and night.

Just be certain not to sacrafice muscle for fat loss. I know it's almost a crappy thing to say, but muscle really is harder to gain than fat is to lose! Work on gaining the mass and the fat will drop off even faster.

And, be careful with the running. As you gain muscle your knees and hips will become very sensitive to running. I can do cardio such as Precor or bike for hours, but I cannot run for more than 1 minute without severe knee and hip pain. You might want to opt for something a little less stressful on the lower body.

Let us know how your progress is going! Take some pics so you can track yourself and we'll all be supportive and critical when necessary!

Coopie said:
It's a fine line you'll be walking with the cardio and lifting. Cardio is great for a fast weight loss - especially early AM on an empty stomach, as you know. But, in the long term, the best way to stay in shape permanently is to add muscle to your frame which will consume calories for maintenance throughout the day and night.

Just be certain not to sacrafice muscle for fat loss. I know it's almost a crappy thing to say, but muscle really is harder to gain than fat is to lose! Work on gaining the mass and the fat will drop off even faster.

And, be careful with the running. As you gain muscle your knees and hips will become very sensitive to running. I can do cardio such as Precor or bike for hours, but I cannot run for more than 1 minute without severe knee and hip pain. You might want to opt for something a little less stressful on the lower body.

Let us know how your progress is going! Take some pics so you can track yourself and we'll all be supportive and critical when necessary!

very good advice, but you have to remember everyone is different. Some people put on muscle easier than losing bodyfat. You gotta find the right combination of what works for you. He is right about running though, its gonna take its toll. Maybe switch to something lower impact EOD like eliptical or bike.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws