Active release therapy or ART

Dusty Hanshaw

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hey guys,

I was just curious how many of you get active release therapy on a regular basis? I have been seeing an active release therapist for a few months and I can't tell you hw much it has helped with my physique and how great my body feels. If it's not something you have tried and you are serious about results I would suggest you give it a go so you know what I mean.

Here is a brief write up I found on ART

Click to Play

ART is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be resolved quickly and permanently with ART. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of overused muscles.

How do overuse conditions occur?
Over-used muscles (and other soft tissues) change in three important ways:

* acute conditions (pulls, tears, collisions, etc),
* accumulation of small tears (micro-trauma)
* not getting enough oxygen (hypoxia).

Each of these factors can cause your body to produce tough, dense scar tissue in the affected area. This scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness.

What is an ART treatment like?
Every ART session is actually a combination of examination and treatment. The ART provider uses his or her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements.

These treatment protocols - over 500 specific moves - are unique to ART. They allow providers to identify and correct the specific problems that are affecting each individual patient. ART is not a cookie-cutter approach.

What is the history of Active Release Techniques?
ART has been developed, refined, and patented by P. Michael Leahy, DC, CCSP. Dr. Leahy noticed that his patients' symptoms seemed to be related to changes in their soft tissue that could be felt by hand. By observing how muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves responded to different types of work, Dr. Leahy was able to consistently resolve over 90% of his patients' problems. He now teaches and certifies health care providers all over the world to use ART.

how much per session?

I have heard tons of positive things about ART. glad its worked well for u dusty

a few of my athletes get this done routinely with great results so far. i havent done it yet personally but its definately on my to do list...

how much per session?

I pay $65 per session but what makes my therapist a bit better (for me) is that she is a national level bodybuilder (she won collegiate nationals) who has a perfect understanding of my needs as a bodybuilder and she is strong enough to work on someone of my size. The ART has made prepping for this show a lot easier and my body is very thankful for it. It also has enabled me to hit some of my poses better because my delts are looser than usual making a rear lat and bi shot easier to open up. Give it a try, it's worth every penny.

I had it regularly to help with another sport up until my heart problem. Like a "good" torture at times. It was offered at my club and that made it very convenient.

PWood

I think my insurance covers it if its done by a chiro.

the chiro i went to only did art when he had to adjust you so it made the adjustment work better and last longer. my right mid trap, my glutes, and rt delt area he would work on then adjust my hip, neck and back.

i think dusty is having more work done specificaly to hel bbing. my guy just wanted me to be able to move wout pain.:rolleyes:

god bless
lucian

I can't say enuff good things about it....really helped me out.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws